• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag is a disaster - help!

omni

My 2.5 year old just got me playing again. We went to a city fair and they were giving away cheap marketing frisbees and I grabbed one for my son. Well turns out he could throw that cheapie like 50' which is pretty good for a 2 year old! I took him disc golfing and he had a blast!

Bag during start of season:
XL Z
XL D
Cheetah DX
Roc KC Pro
Roc Beater
Aviar JK
Aviar KC Pro

But then I read about all these new putters and drivers and stuff since I have been out of the sport for ~4 years.

Bought all this stuff: Avenger SS, Surge SS (not a big enough arm), found some good deals on 11x Teebirds/Eagle/Cheetah, Comet, Banger GT, Soft Magnet, Buzzz Z, Buzzz D x2 (found a ton of used newish buzzz's), XL esp

Yesterday my bag was just weird (but light)
XL ESP, 168
Cheetah 11x, 174
Cheetah DX, 174
Buzzz Z, 178
Roc KC Pro, 170
Aviar KC Pro, 172

What am I doing to myself here? I should probably just mold back down to just XL, Buzz, and some putter? Ordered the Gateway set of putters since I really wanted to try the Magic and to order a very specific 100g putter for my young son.

Throw style: RHBH
Throw speed: Drive 280' with Cheetah (oh a big s curve) and XL (fairly straight). Avengers and Surges go about that far too but SUPER uncontrollable.
Arm Issue: Right shoulder injury, can only throw 75%.

Help please!

Last edited:
On the course I'd just carry:
XL's or Cheetas
Rocs or Buzzzes or Comet
Aviars

Those are all really solid discs for how far you throw and for learning to throw farther if that's what you're looking for. If you're going to add anything a really overstable driver like a Banshee or EXP1 would be a good addition.

Pick up a Star Mako 170-175g. Guy at the local Play it Again Sports basically refused (jokingly) to sell me a Star Aviar, insisting the Mako was a legitimate putter/midrange/approach disc in one. I ended up with a 171g Mako, and damn if that thing does not go exactly where you point it. It also sits nicely on landing, so you can go at the basket from far out and not end up with an even farther putt if you miss. You can even hyzer it into a gentle curve with almost no fade or turn at the end. As a putter, it feels chain-hungry and seems to catch chain and drop in pretty eagerly.

Granted, I've only been throwing it for a week. Star plastic is gonna take a while to break in. But so far, it really does feel like one of those discs you would want to have, if you only could have one.

Note this is coming from a guy with a terrible BH/FH who throws thumbers whenever possible. But this disc I can somehow backhand.

My .02¢,

-Mark

Last edited:
On the course I'd just carry:
XL's or Cheetas
Rocs or Buzzzes or Comet
Aviars

Those are all really solid discs for how far you throw and for learning to throw farther if that's what you're looking for. If you're going to add anything a really overstable driver like a Banshee or EXP1 would be a good addition.
I'm heeding this advice for now...trying some gateway putters but going with XL / Buzz / Comet / Putter. Just snagged a 7/10 used Comet X for $5 at PIAS.

Garublador gave you really solid advice (as usual), learn to throw those discs well and you'll be in great shape. The comet and aviar especially will help you learn to throw smooth and clean to get distance out of them.

Quick update:
Molded down to just XL (240-300') > Buzzz (150-240') > Wizard (150' or less) and have been throwing them daily in a practice field. No matter what I do I can't seem to push the XL any farther without a tailwind. I can get the buzz about 260' but with extreme effort (which isn't good for my shoulder).

What disc should I add above the XL to start working on longer distances? Or do you think I should keep trying to push the XL farther? If a new disc is needed, something wind-proof would be ideal, wind kills most of my current minimalistic bag. Due to the wooded areas I play, Z plastic is ideal.

~Omni

Quick update:
Molded down to just XL (240-300') > Buzzz (150-240') > Wizard (150' or less) and have been throwing them daily in a practice field. No matter what I do I can't seem to push the XL any farther without a tailwind. I can get the buzz about 260' but with extreme effort (which isn't good for my shoulder).

What disc should I add above the XL to start working on longer distances? Or do you think I should keep trying to push the XL farther? If a new disc is needed, something wind-proof would be ideal, wind kills most of my current minimalistic bag. Due to the wooded areas I play, Z plastic is ideal.

~Omni

Problem is probably "pushing" for more distance. Get a vid of you throwing if you can and post it in the tecchnique section. That will go a million times better at getting more distance than trying to purchase it.

Still would be ok to get a wind fighter so I suggest a Z Pred, Champ Banshee, or Champ Firebird. They will be meathooks for you at your distance but they will straight out a bit in a headwind.

Quick update:

~Omni

Been there...while I wish I could suggest a disc for instant distance, it would also come at the expense of control. Anything faster would probably just fade out bigger and be harder to control. You may gain minimal footage but be well off your intended line.

You mentioned shoulder...do you have a shoulder issue? The typical mantra here would be to work out form issues with these slower discs that you are carrying. The advice of Garu and Mashnut is solid and both Technohic and I have benefitted because we followed it (that is, eventually.) I went threw some elbow/tendonitis issues due to throwing to hard with bad form. Answer? Disc down, work on smooth form, and now I throw almost as far with slower drivers.

But if you are truly battling a physical limitation that limits how much speed you can put on a disc, there may be some benefit to a Roadrunner or Sidewinder. These discs can be finessed to nice longer straight lines.

But I HIGHLY recommend that you try form correction first because these molds can also have negative impact, in that they can't be thrown hard and would limit your progress in the end. Correcting form issues and learning to throw your Buzzz 280 to 300ft and XL to 330ish will have you hating these discs.

Thanks for the suggestions! I agree with the above that I do hate all these discs since I've thrown them 1-2k times in the last month. But I finally figured out the grip issue I was having with driving (namely I wasn't holding firm at release). Fixing that right their made the XL and Buzzz super straight. Then I figured out the hyzer flip (only about 50% there now though) which got the XL to 300. Pretty sure the next step is shoulder turn...bah this thread is getting too close to technique related.

You mentioned shoulder...do you have a shoulder issue?
Yes, I had surgery on it awhile back and its still not right, so I can only throw at about 80%. I added 3 Avenger SS's to cure my 3 disc boredom...namely since I got them for $5 each at PIAS. I only have thrown them one day though and what I immediately noticed is that I can get them to my XL distance but with less effort and less accuracy since they s-curve more since I don't have the flip down on them yet. They have a bit different rim than the XL so still figuring that out.

I went out last week at lunch and had a terrible time on a course due to wind. I threw a Magic on a 30' put and an updraft took ot past the basket and 100' down (basket was at top of hill). This utimately was the reason I switched to the Wizard as putter mold and using a 175 M on windy days. Might try a predator in Z as someone recommended. Worse case I get some practice on hyzer lines although a buzzz works for that purpose too.

I'm heeding this advice for now...trying some gateway putters but going with XL / Buzz / Comet / Putter. Just snagged a 7/10 used Comet X for $5 at PIAS.

That bag sounds pretty good. The Banshee for Headwinds and you'd be pretty set. What plastic is the Buzzz in? If its not Elite-Z, I'd consider picking one up eventually. It isn't a pressing issue, but in the long run it would compliment your Comet better and do better in the wind than the other plastics...something to consider down the line anyways.

If you're looking at Gateway putters (for yourself) I'd recommend a Wizard or a Voodoo since they'll be a little easier to drive/approach with than a Magic or Warlock, but any of them will work with practice. If you find one that feels right just stick with it.

Quick update:

~Omni

What you should do is work on getting your Buzzz and Wizard as far as where you're getting the XL now; that's the easiest/fastest way to make your distance potential grow.