• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bagger !?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, the fact that you came on here and outted yourself is funny. You know damn well you should move up. I hate disc golfers like you. People like you are why people think disc golfers are a bunch of jerks. You should be ashamed of yourself. You and others like you always use the "i'm playing my rating card" but then you won't sign up for the PGDA and get a rating. Playing a casual round is fun. Playing tournaments is another level. The only people who talk about playing for fun are the people who are getting their asses whooped. No true competitor thinks about fun when theirs something at stake. So to all the people who are agreeing with you to play rec; you and them should all have one big casual round together. Why are people so afraid of losing to people better than them? No true competitor has ever complained about a good old fashioned ass kicking. They will tell you that it was the best thing for them. It always makes them better.
Secondly, please don't ever use that lame excuse of your health. You need to go put your head in the sand for even taking the time to type that bulls*** out. Disc golf is the best way to get your health back in tact. If you can't walk up steps then you need to get healthier. Good grief! Your statements are an embarrassment to everyone who's trying and advocating for the advancement of this sport. Please tell me you didn't go around bragging to people about winning a rec tournament by 21 strokes. Geeezzz!
Do yourself a favor and salvage your dignity. Move your ass up and play competitive. If I was the TD i would call for a public stoning if you tried that crap with me.

You sound like a real nice guy that would be a joy to play with. Sarcasm

This is a game that u play for plastic if not pro and if u are pro you play for peanuts.

I play for fun even at tournaments. I have actaully been accused on a number of occasions of bringing too much of a casual atmosphere to my groups. If you think your attitude is better than his in the advancement of this game, you are sadly mistaken.

I hate disc golfers like you. People like you are why people think disc golfers are a bunch of jerks.
Actually, I think it's the opposite. Tournaments are intimidating because if you play too well then people will think you're a jerk. It's the attitude you have that makes people think tournament golfers are jerks.

Why are people so afraid of losing to people better than them?
If they shouldn't be afraid of losing then what did the OP do wrong? Why shouldn't the other players be afraid of losing?

No true competitor has ever complained about a good old fashioned ass kicking. They will tell you that it was the best thing for them. It always makes them better.
By that logic there are no "true competitors" in any protected division. So again, what's the problem with the OP playing against others who aren't "true competitors?"

The logic in that post is all backwards and makes no sense. Either people shouldn't care about losing, so it's OK for him to play rec, or people who care about competition should play non protected divisions, so he's only playing with others for fun (which is what many do in the lower divisions in my experience), so it's OK for him to play rec. Chances are we're only talking about another tournament or two for him to get a feel for where he really should be, anyway.

Calling him out for whatever his health problem is and claiming that he went around bragging about winning with almost zero information about either of those is pretty low, too. If he was just a big jerk who wanted to win rec (I'm not sure what the advantage of that really is unless the rec awards are better than intermediate and advanced) he wouldn't have posted looking for guidance. He's just keep doing it.

I can't imagine that post being anything but discouraging to people looking to try the tournament scene, which is the whole reason they allow non members to play.

No one should be allowed to sandbag. If you feel that you are [unless you're the sensitive type who hides his emotions, like Josh Anthon---oops, too soon again?:D] then you most likely are.
The question that I have is: Why does the fact that you may withdraw due to health issues make a difference in what division you play?

Another thread filled with dumb answers.

If you dont know where you fit or its your first tournament you play Rec. Its not your fault others in your division played poorly. Thats the mixed bag of Rec. Then your rating changes and puts you in another division. If under 935 play Intermediate. Again, not your fault that the Int division played poorly in that tournament. Ive played people that shot 970 rated rounds but are 890 rated. The problem is that in that tournament they play 890 golf. They belong in Rec. I dont care if they have 1 tournament round @990 they are rec because they will throw a couple 840 rated rounds in, lol. It is almost impossible to effectively sandbag in disc golf. You are rated and you cannot play in protected divisions.

People learn what sand bagging is!

It is purposly affecting your rating so that you can play in the division lower than your skill level. That is very costly and time wasting. If you are 950 rated and tank enough tournaments on purpose to get to 934 just to win in intermediate...lol...well take your 2 disc payout. You've donated enough...btw...ive never heard of that happening it is so rare and silly.

Playing in the division you are allowed to is not sandbagging. Winning by 10 strokes means absolutly nothing. You can average 900 rounds and win Intermediate by 10 strokes in some areas. Results have nothing to do with where you choose to play. My advice...go burn up Rec until your rating changes.

I think you've missed a couple things. No one is or should be calling him a "bagger" for playing and winning Rec in the tournament last year (because you are right, first time tournament players are welcome to start at the bottom). The issue at hand is the guy wants to continue to play Rec (presumably at the same tourney this year) and he's essentially been told no. So he started the thread here looking for sympathy, empathy, or supporting evidence that he can take back to the TD in order to get his way. Obviously he's not getting it from this crowd (and rightly so, IMO).

He's not a PDGA member and he seems to indicate he's not interested in becoming a member. So there's no playing where he wants until his rating doesn't allow it since, well, he won't be getting a rating. But let's put that aside for a second and assume he is a member, and his lone tournament as a member was the tournament last year. From his rounds there, his rating would be around 950. Based on that, he can't play any Am division except MA1 (assuming he's under 40). That is the crux of everyone arguing against him being able to play Rec again (or even Intermediate).

So in all fairness, there really is no "let him play where he wants till his rating says otherwise". He has no rating because he isn't a member, not because he's never played a tournament. Without membership, he gets no privileges.

The question that I have is: Why does the fact that you may withdraw due to health issues make a difference in what division you play?

I can only guess that if he has to withdraw, he'd rather give up the low Rec entry rather than the higher Int or Adv entry. Somewhat understandable, but when said in combination with wanting to have a good chance to make his entry back, he looks a lot worse.

I can only guess that if he has to withdraw, he'd rather give up the low Rec entry rather than the higher Int or Adv entry. Somewhat understandable, but when said in combination with wanting to have a good chance to make his entry back, he looks a lot worse.

Is the difference ever more than 5$?

Is the difference ever more than 5$?

No idea, I've seen the difference be as large as $15 or 20. Of course, I'm an advocate of charging the same entry for all am divisions. It eliminates this as an excuse to not move up when one is otherwise ready.

Rec and intermediate are $25. Advanced is ten more.

http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Puns_Labrynth_3_2014

What makes this even sillier, is the fact that most people in his area play up. Am2 is filled with am3 rated players. And am1 is mostly am2 rated players.

I have no idea why he said this because its not true:
"So the new thing is they tried to prohibit me from playing Rec when again there's a few players in intermediate that should get moved up as well but don't."

What makes this even sillier, is the fact that most people in his area play up. Am2 is filled with am3 rated players. And am1 is mostly am2 rated players.

Looking at last years results it seems that most players for am1-3 played pretty close to the PDGA ratings guidelines:

http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/15308

I can't fathom the logic of people who continue to play way down in divisions below their skill level. As someone who has been playing for just at a year, my goal is to get to the Open skill level and division as fast as I can. After I won a tournament in rec by 12 strokes last year I switched to Intermediate for all new tournaments I signed up for afterwards (there were a couple tournaments after that win that I had already signed up for in rec, and I ended up 3rd and 10th in those).

Thinking you're really "winning" in a competitive environment when playing far below your skill level is nothing but self-delusional ego stroking, imo. I honestly felt/feel a bit embarrassed with that last win of mine in rec...

I suppose if the rec division plays from short tees at this course and the OP's health problems are as serious as he states then some small case could be made for playing in rec, but wouldn't those players still be walking about the same distance as the other divisions? On average wouldn't this only be saving about 1 throw/hole, so even if OP shot 18 strokes worse he still would have won rec by 3 or taken 4th place in Intermediate last year...

I just won my 3rd tournament in Intermediate last weekend (2nd PDGA, won by 3 strokes, 13 tournaments played so far this year, rating of 860) and a couple guys are pushing me to move up to MA1 now but I'm already signed up for 6 more tournaments in MA2 through mid-June and I want to see if I can stay consistently competitive at this level. While I shot a 59 and 54 (par 55) to get the win last weekend, I shot a 67 on the same course the weekend before... if I do well in the next couple tournaments I may even "upgrade" to MA1 for the rest of the ones I'm already signed up for, but I've had a couple of epic meltdowns already this year too and I want to see if I've put that behind me. Around here anyway consistency seems to be a defining factor of the Advanced and Open divisions, and I think I need a bit more seasoning still.

I have actaully been accused on a number of occasions of bringing too much of a casual atmosphere to my groups.

You just hit a 50 foot putt for birdie and I clanked a 15 footer for bogey. No, I don't want any of your @#$%ing Skittles!

I believe this is a troll thread from DKoz and it's inspired eight pages of responses with no input back from him....so, I guess that would be a success.

I believe this is a troll thread from DKoz and it's inspired eight pages of responses with no input back from him....so, I guess that would be a success.

Not a troll. He's very serious. We had a huge thread about it going on disc golf scene but it was deleted. Im on page 2.

You just hit a 50 foot putt for birdie and I clanked a 15 footer for bogey. No, I don't want any of your @#$%ing Skittles!

They are chewy sweettarts thank you very much. :p

Some of my favorite tourney rounds are highly competitive people that are also into having fun. Nothing worse than playing with guy who takes himself way too seriously and isn't as good as he thinks. I do this or that and can throw, just stfu already and let's have some fun. If you are into playing serious I hope for your sake I am never on your card.

First off, the fact that you came on here and outted yourself is funny. You know damn well you should move up. I hate disc golfers like you. People like you are why people think disc golfers are a bunch of jerks. You should be ashamed of yourself. You and others like you always use the "i'm playing my rating card" but then you won't sign up for the PGDA and get a rating. Playing a casual round is fun. Playing tournaments is another level. The only people who talk about playing for fun are the people who are getting their asses whooped. No true competitor thinks about fun when theirs something at stake. So to all the people who are agreeing with you to play rec; you and them should all have one big casual round together. Why are people so afraid of losing to people better than them? No true competitor has ever complained about a good old fashioned ass kicking. They will tell you that it was the best thing for them. It always makes them better.
Secondly, please don't ever use that lame excuse of your health. You need to go put your head in the sand for even taking the time to type that bulls*** out. Disc golf is the best way to get your health back in tact. If you can't walk up steps then you need to get healthier. Good grief! Your statements are an embarrassment to everyone who's trying and advocating for the advancement of this sport. Please tell me you didn't go around bragging to people about winning a rec tournament by 21 strokes. Geeezzz!
Do yourself a favor and salvage your dignity. Move your ass up and play competitive. If I was the TD i would call for a public stoning if you tried that crap with me.

Wow, lots of tough talk here. I have played all kinds of competative sports, for decades and have won and lost a lot over that time. I have always played for the fun of the sport and competition. I might venture a guess that you are the reason many think tournament disc golfers are a bunch of jerks. Nobody says you can't be serious, competitive and successful and still have fun, I see it all the time. In fact, I might again venture to say that you are the one doing it all wrong. Maybe you did not make your point as clearly as you wanted to, but I suggest you look to find leisure activities that are fun, otherwise you should just call them work. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.