• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bagger !?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also it can be a regional thing. I used to live in the cleveland area where novice isnt usually offered. So rec is really novice, and intermediate is mostly rec players. I move to chicago and all four am divisions are offered. The fields are larger here, so it makes more sense to have more divisions.

It's a bit of a chicken or egg thing. I always wondered if the am fields are so big in the chicago area because they offer all divisions and there aren't a bunch of people pushing you out of the division you're qualified for. Nobody gets on the case of an 890 rated rec player or 930 rated intermediate player, so there's really good competition in every one of those divisions.

It's a bit of a chicken or egg thing. I always wondered if the am fields are so big in the chicago area because they offer all divisions and there aren't a bunch of people pushing you out of the division you're qualified for. Nobody gets on the case of an 890 rated rec player or 930 rated intermediate player, so there's really good competition in every one of those divisions.

In Ohio nobody plays rec after a couple of tourneys. They just move up. So the average am2 rating, is a lot lower then what you would see in Chicagoland.

In Ohio nobody plays rec after a couple of tourneys. They just move up. So the average am2 rating, is a lot lower then what you would see in Chicagoland.

That's sort of my point. That pressure leads to the move up, move up, give up behavior. Because that pressure and tradition isn't there in the Illinois series I wonder if that keeps more players coming back rather than being pushed up then getting frustrated.

That's sort of my point. That pressure leads to the move up, move up, give up behavior. Because that pressure and tradition isn't there in the Illinois series I wonder if that keeps more players coming back rather than being pushed up then getting frustrated.

Well you cant really compare cleveland and chicagoland. Larger population here, more courses and more tourney players.

"If" you average 820 rated rounds and everyone you play against averages 720 rated rounds and you win by 30, you should move up because in that specific tournament a bunch of bad players showed up? That is silly and you are silly. No offence to the OP but he didnt win by 21 because he played well. He won by that many because of how poorly everyone else played that day and that tournament. People forget how diverse and regional this country is. In Charlotte you need to average 950 rated rounds to win Int. You might be a 915 rated player but you need to play out of your mind to win. Its not about bagging, its about putting together 2-4 good rounds on that specific weekend. In other areas you just need to average 910 to win Intermediate. So both those players would need to move up just because they won something...silly.

Makes the most sense. Stoppit! You're just hurting morons heads.
He did say he played from the short Tee's. Lame competition is not his fault. For myself, I play badly most of the time. When I'm on, I can beat folks who out drive me by 100'+. These things happen. he really hasn't even pleaded his case beyond the first post and everyone want's to jump on the hater bandwagon. Your 5 bucks is gone. Get over it!
May I recommend......... beer?

Im sry OP but i have to say that u would be sand bagging. Im also sry to hear that u have health issues that your going through as i also have sum major ones myself. The fact that you won by 21 strokes is not "i got lucky". Thats not how luck works. Regardless of ur wild driving and health problems it sounds like ur All Around game is better than most rec players. It sounds to me that you only want to enter a division you feel you are guarenteed to/or confident u can get first place. Am divisions pay out the top 40%ish. Whats wrong with 10th place in AM2?

You want to enter Rec because u know even if u suck that day and ur health is crappy u can still possibly place first. That to me is the mentality of a bagger. You should play the division where u think "if im on top of my game, i can compete for first"

Your mentality is based off of the worse case scenario and how many frisbees u can get out of it.

No ill will towards u, but ur def bagger if u play rec. Move up to AM2, im sure that will be competitive/fair/and still give u a chance to win, even if ur off that day. If ur on that day, u win in the correct division.

Last edited:
I say play where ever you want.

It's really stupid that anyone else other than those playing in Pro get any financial rewards in the first place, so it's really the organizer's fault. And of course the fault of all those poor and sorry people who think they deserve to win anything but a good mood when playing on Amateurs.

if anyone wants to look at the tourney results, here they are.

he shot a 950 first round. for the other rounds, it's tough to tell because it looks like Rec played a different layout for rounds 2 and 3.

regardless, the point of playing in a tournament (for ams) is for competition and evaluation of your skills under pressure. winning something should be an afterthought - i'd like to see the entry fees for all am divisions reduced and only pay out top 3, but that's a different conversation.

I can be feeling really bad that day and lose my entry fee.

this seems to be your primary concern. you're looking for return on investment over the value of the experience. if you can't afford to play a tournament and not win anything, then you shouldn't be playing in one.

tldr - stop being a bagger and play intermediate.

basic attitude shift that is needed: you dont lose an entry fee, you spend it

The op is not a troll account. His threw rounds rated:
957, 875 and 922.

I wonder why people are mad?

If those are his only round ratings, then the TD would be totally justified in requiring him to play intermediate. But I don't think he should be required to play advanced.

Thumber ......Don't be a smart @$$! It has nothing to do with me being out of shape, I look good with my shirt off!

I guess I fail to understand what your health has to do with this discussion. You risk being unable to compete, regardless of what division you are playing.

Honestly you sound greedy and unwilling to actually earn the prizes you win. Smoking everyone in Rec so you can get a couple of discs is in the poorest of forms. Trying to justify that by hiding behind a health issue is dishonorable and an insult to everyone who plays through their various health issues.

I may be a smart ass, but you sir, are a sore loser who seems to completely fail to grasp the whole point of competition.

winning something should be an afterthought - i'd like to see the entry fees for all am divisions reduced and only pay out top 3, but that's a different conversation.

IMO that would make things worse rather than better...especially for Rec. There are many others with the same feeling as the OP and now they'd feel they have to get top 3 to be worth their while - instead of top 1/2 of the field. The fix for Rec would be trophy only with a better players pack that (retail) covers most of the entry. Think trilogy challenge. 30.00 - get three discs plus some random stuff. This way the Rec players who are in most areas where you are trying to draw in new blood for tourneys always feel they get their value out of the tourney and become hooked. This of course removes the temptation to play down just to cash out.

The TD can prevent any non-PDGA member from playing. The only way I see the OP getting to play rec against the TD's wishes is if he bought a membership, and now is a member with no rating, but I don't see him as a member. If I were a rec player in that area, I would get the other rec players to let the TD know that we will boycott his tournaments if he lets that guy play rec without buying a PDGA membership. Alternatively, everyone can chip in and buy him a PDGA membership and award it to him for his total awesomeness before the tournament, making sure that the TD enters his PDGA number so that these new round ratings get counted towards his rating.

If those are his only round ratings, then the TD would be totally justified in requiring him to play intermediate. But I don't think he should be required to play advanced.

Erock's post with the round ratings keeps getting quoted, but (and he's pointed it out as well) there's a typo. The middle round was a ~975, not ~875 round. So the OP's average rating for that event was around 950. I noted it earlier in the thread, but I'll do it again...the MA1 winner at the event, while playing a different layout, averaged a 953 rating for the weekend.

That's not to say that the OP was "bagging" that event, only that his play that weekend was most certainly MA1 caliber both by general PDGA standards and by local "tradition" based division standards.

The TD is absolutely correct to disallow the OP from playing Rec again. As a non-member, the OP has no recourse to argue. I'd say the TD would be within reason to disallow the OP from playing Intermediate as well based on the evidence he has (after all, were the OP a member during the first event, and it remained his only event, he'd have a 950ish rating).

I'd say if the OP is arguing with the TD to play Rec again and is successful, the rest of the Rec division should either play up in Intermediate (the entry is the same) or sign up for Novice (presuming their ratings allow it, which based on the past event, is likely). Make a statement if the TD isn't willing to.

Looks like there's one round where rec played the same layout as advanced -- he'd have been in second by a couple shots for that round.

Maybe that's why he doesn't want to shift to advanced? ;-)

I guess I fail to understand what your health has to do with this discussion. You risk being unable to compete, regardless of what division you are playing.

Of course, it doesn't have anything to do with the discussion. But, as you recognize, it has everything to do with the OP trying to justify and seek approval for his attempt to play against people who aren't as good as he is just so he can say he won a tournament. In addition to the false justification of poor health, he also lied about it being his first tournament as was pointed out in earlier posts.

Honestly you sound greedy and unwilling to actually earn the prizes you win. Smoking everyone in Rec so you can get a couple of discs is in the poorest of forms. Trying to justify that by hiding behind a health issue is dishonorable and an insult to everyone who plays through their various health issues.

I may be a smart ass, but you sir, are a sore loser who seems to completely fail to grasp the whole point of competition.

The only issue I take with your words are that they are too kind. It isn't greed IMO that leads people to do dishonorable things like this, it is ego. He has an inflated image of himself and is avoiding an activity that won't result in confirmation of that inflated self-image, i.e., he only wants to compete when he has an unfair advantage. So he argues poor health, loss of money and lies about it being his first tournament so that he can get some confirmation and approval on this forum for his brazenly disgraceful conduct.

When I first saw this kind of nonsense in disc golf after starting to play about 2 years ago, I was very surprised that an attempt to play in a lower division than a player was qualified for didn't lead to penalties and disqualification. If I was the TD, I'd let the him sign up in the Rec division after cautioning him about the criteria for playing in that division and then disqualify him when he turned in his scorecard and ban him from the event in the future.

please

So when you have very bad lungs ( never smoked a day in my life ) and what I have is very aggressive plus with my oxygen intake is only 80% .......yeah I think it's ok to bring it up and make it part of my decision. Anyways........

You need to come up with a better excuse bro. I bet if you lost by 21 strokes you'd say it was because of your health. Bagger, move up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.