• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bardu's Bag 2014

Bardu

* Ace Member *
I play to learn, so I prefer to concentrate on fewer molds and slower discs. I spent the bulk of 2013 throwing Wizard/Buzzz/TeeBird/Firebird. I am confident with that lineup and don't feel I am missing any shots.

In previous years I've thrown almost completely RHBH. Last year I began developing FH and OH shots. In the future, I would like to be able to throw my entire bag BH and FH. Also, I've started working with distance drivers a bit.

Years playing/experience: 4th year
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: RH
Throwing Style: Whatever the shot requires. Mainly RHBH, developing FH and OH.
Distance (max) for putter/mid/driver: Wizard: 275'; Buzzz: 300'; TeeBird: 325'

Drivers
175 AJ Star Destroyer- Distance. Too heavy for me, but it will be a placeholder until I can find more. I'd probably prefer a 165 and 170.

166 Champ Glow Firebird- FAF, newish. Will work its way into a utility role.
167 Champ Firebird- Slight dome. I've had it for about a year now and its had heavy use. I can cover FH, OH and OS utility shots with it. I can throw it confidently into a headwind. I also like to power it down. It has become noticeably straight, so I decided to start a new one. ^
167 Champ TeeBirid- Well seasoned "Twelve Time," extremely gummy. All-purpose workhorse driver. Can handle everything from wind to anhyzers. I need to pick up some backups.

Midrange
180 Z Buzzz- Midrange shots that need to finish left. Shorter than my lighter one, but I figure I will grow into it.
169 Z Buzzz- My baby. Pretty beat, can cover most midrange shots at this point. Easy distance, great line shaping ability, can finish right or left.

Putters
172 Evo Wizard- Brand new. Plan on using it off the tee and in the woods.
175 Medium Wizard- Pretty new as well. Great feel for putting and distance.
165 Medium Wizard- Seasoned. Plan on using it for upshots.
172 Soft Wizard- Seasoned. Main putter.

I use a regular old backpack to carry my discs on the course, so my space is kind of limited. I have a stack of DX TeeBirds in different weights that could see play. I also have another soft wizard and a couple glow wizards for extra practice putters.

I haven't decided on how I will use the soft and medium wizards. Perhaps some more course work will help me sort things out.

Your 2013 bag was an inspiration. I've been slowly pruning my bag to get down to fewer molds.

The Destroyer seems like a (too) big jump up in speed and stability. Have you considered something a little slower for a distance driver like a PD, Starfire, Orc, Wraith or Krait?

What do you use for turnovers? Is your 167 Teebird flippy enough that it can hold an anhyzer and hold a turn?

When it comes to putters, here's what I do: I carry just two of the same mold in different plastics. Throwing the Judge, I use a lucid for approaches and drives, and a classic blend for putting. Something like this would probably work for you, using the Evo for driving/approaching and either the medium or soft for putting. I don't really see big difference in performance for the different plastics, I just like the more durable one for hitting trees and the nice grippy feeling one for putting. I don't think there's really any right answer so you could try throwing all of them on the course at different times and picking the ones you like best and saving the rest for practice.

Anyway, I love the new 2014 minimalist bag, it still looks like a great setup. Good luck throwing!

Thanks! :)

I think I may throw my beat DX TeeBird back in for something less stable than my Champion.

Also, the Destroyer is definitely too much disc for me. But, I'm hoping I will grow into it. For the time being, it is fantastic for forehand.

I'm gonna try to find another couple TeeBirds (JL, Brinster, T3, whatever), another max weightish Buzzz, and a lighter Destroyer.

Alright, that didn't last too long. I broke down and took the Destroyer out. Back to fairways, haha.

Found a really awesome pink JL TeeBird to start beating in. I've been busy throwing Firebirds in the wind all spring, but it is nice to have a backup. Speaking of TeeBirds, I had a real nice drive with my Champ the other day, that held (hugged?) a slight right turn to finish straight about 340, it felt good.

Also, JTDisc, I'm really liking your idea with the putters. As much as there are slight differences between Medium and Soft Wizards, I think I will be better off picking one base plastic and one premium plastic and calling it good.

Finally, my beat in Buzzz, after some nasty rock hits in the Arizona heat and a real bad tree hit off the tee up in Minneapolis, no longer lays flat, but still seems to fly like a beauty, if with a tad lower power level. I've had two of my three aces with it. Chicken out and retire it or grow some balls and keep lettin her fly?

Haha finally, Bardu and a Destroyer just doesn't sound right, like Peanut butter and ketchup.

If you are looking for a "longer disc," I'd highly recommend a 9-10 speed driver, especially Innova's Gstar drivers. Really digging the Roadrunner and Teebird in that plastic. Happy throwing!

Bag update:

Drivers
167 Champ Glow Firebird- fresh
167 Champ Firebird- beat
175 Champ Glow TeeBird- fresh
167 Champ TeeBird- fresh
167 Champ TeeBird- beat

Midrange
180 Z Buzzz- fresh
178 Glow Z Buzzz- fresh
169 Z Buzzz- beat

Putters
172 Evo Wizard- fresh
175 M Wizard- fresh
165 M Wizard- beat
170 S Wizard- beat

Also, I have been to Highbridge. :)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."

Awesome as per usual, any thought on trying something a hair faster than the Teebird, like a Valk?

major lack of Legacy in this bag sir ... lol i kid, i kid :p.. looks uber solid dude.. ever toy around with a Zone? hella great mold and would work as an extra beefy mid to pair with the glo buzzz if needed .. plus they are just amazing .. but all n all looks great .. I agree with Streets maybe look into a Valk .. or when ready the PD lineup is great (c, s and p lines) and P-lines are even great for those of us that dont have crazy arm speed.. they glide and bomb and beat into awesomeness

Meet the new bag, same as the old bag:

Drivers
167 Champ Glow Firebird
167 Champ Firebird- beat
175 Champ Glow TeeBird
175 Brinster TeeBird
167 Champ TeeBird
167 Champ TeeBird- beat

Midrange
180 Z Buzzz
178 Glow Z Buzzz
172 Glow Z Buzzz
169 Z Buzzz- beat

Putters
172 Evo Wizard
169 Evo Wizard
175 Medium Wizard
165 Medium Wizard- beat
175 Soft Wizard

Thanks for the imput, guys. A Zone or a distance driver are definitely at the top of my list for potential adds. I have a friend with a Zone (great ESP, used to be mine), perhaps he would let me test it. I love powering down on my Fbirds, so I can't guarantee it would make the bag, but the only way to know is to try.

A distance driver will absolutely be a future add. Previously considered PDs, Sidewinders, etc. and a Valk would be another great possibility. But at the moment, I am not happy enough with how I'm throwing my TeeBirds to add something faster. I'm content to accept that I'm still learning and use them as distance drivers until I really learn to get them up to speed. When I do add a distance driver, I am looking for a mold that has substantial seperation from what the TeeBird does in my bag, as well as something that can handle a variety of throws. For those reasons, I am leaning towards using Destroyers in this spot when I am ready, as they are a great workhorse mold for BH/FH.

i rock the pd/sidewinder combo. i know user broken shoulder rocks the pd/valk combo and he likes that.

also some people just cycle pds for all stabilitys of controlled distance drivers

Hell ya. Do you throw anything faster as well? What kind of weights on the pds/sw? What kind of d vs. your fairways do you get?

i do not. you lose too much control for not enough distance reward in my opinon. i throw probably 325 consistently. but thats just me. speed 9s are my highest (pds are speed 9 to me since its the firebird wing)

i throw my drivers 168ish. honestly its all about the PLH over weight. recently as long as there 166+ im fine with it for a driver. pds and sw do vary a lot due to PLH. the new champ sidewinders are straight and fade. stars flip a bit. and gstarrr is really flippy.

pds range from a little turn outta the box to a beef cake. cpd are really beefy. spd is my favorite but those vary (see the pd thread on here) and i didnt have a good experience with my gstarrr pd so i wont comment about it i think i got a dud one, everyone else really likes theirs.

sidewinders are easy distance especially star. get a little flip action and watch it sail. i think my sw and pd probably 325 consistently, and i throw stalkers for fairways and i probably get those to a little over 300 consistently.

ummm hope that answers most of it sorry i rambled. ask more questions if needed or if you need me to clarify anything

Bag is about the same, but I've got a couple 11xs in there now, so I thought I'd give an update.

Drivers
175 11x Champ Firebird- beat
166 CFR Glow Champ Firebird
166 CFR Glow Champ Firebird
167 12x Champ Firebird- beat

175 CFR Glow Champ TeeBird
170 11x Cal Champ TeeBird- beat
170 CFR Glow Champ TeeBird
167 12x Champ TeeBird- beat

Midrange
179 Glo Z Buzzz
171 Glo Z Buzzz
169 Glo Z Buzzz- beat

Putters
172 Evo Wizard
165 Medium Wizard- beat
175 Medium Wizard
175 g9i Wizard
175 g9i Wizard

I still have a Soft Wizard that I use for putting duties, but I'm trying to season the Mediums and g9i's for all purpose use.

I have a old S Ion from back when proton was opaque that I spent a lot of time with and I am tempted to throw it in the bag from time to time. But there is overlap with the Wizards. And I'm really not sure when to even throw the Evo Wizard, I am much better with the base plastic ones, maybe it just needs more seasoning.

Starting to get really spoiled on my TeeBirds/Firebirds. I only like the really flat ones now. :)

Throw the Ion in the bag....the garbage bag!

Awesome as usual. Love the simplicity. Have you thought of any higher speed drivers yet?