• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basement basket for sleeping baby?

ODRB

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Any super silent solutions for sleeping-baby-upstairs practice baskets? Chains are out. There has to be a better solution that just painting a basket on a dropcloth.

Life is full of noise. Allow your child to become accustomed to the chains.

(Only half kidding)

Life is full of noise. Allow your child to become accustomed to the chains.

(Only half kidding)

Do you have a baby? A wife? Two dogs?
This answer is out of the question.

I'm looking for a "Shhhhhh!" solution. So I can putt and drink beers until 2 am.

Somebody makes a basket with plastic chains. IDK who though. I saw them at Gateway a few years ago. Maybe get a hold of Dave and see if he has any.

Put a pool noodle or foam pipe insulation around the center pole, it deadens the sound a lot.

Weave rope between the chain links...

This works well, as does weaving a smallish towel through the chains to keep metal from hitting metal. I have also put a couple bath towels down in the basket.

*no dogs, but a 7mo old, 4yr old and wife. and usually until 1am with bourbon.

Do you have a baby? A wife? Two dogs?
This answer is out of the question.

I'm looking for a "Shhhhhh!" solution. So I can putt and drink beers until 2 am.

Hey! sounds like Friday night at the wolfey household! :D

I have my practice basket in my garage which shares a wall with the room that my kids are in. Maybe not quite the same as being in the basement, but pretty close. I have found that wrapping the pole with closed cell foam (I use a piece of an old blue camping mat) deadens the sound effectively.

The disc hitting chains doesn't really make much noise (on my DB-5 anyway), but if those chains or ring that holds the chains hit the metal pole it's like ringing a bell.

Cheers!

Put a pool noodle or foam pipe insulation around the center pole, it deadens the sound a lot.

This makes a huge difference.

BTW - I have a wife, a dog and 2 kids... If you make things super quiet now, it will always have to be that way. Just my experience....

049-480x360.jpg

I use something like this for supersilent putting practice. A bedroom sheet with a knot tied at the bottom. Not my picture, think I got the tip from here but couldn't find the thread. I think it works brilliantly for putting indoors at nighttime.

Last edited:
How do you guys function with a kid the next day after staying up till all hours drinking and putting? You give me this solution, and I'll give you a quiet putting solution.

How do you guys function with a kid the next day after staying up till all hours drinking and putting? You give me this solution, and I'll give you a quiet putting solution.

The alternative -- going to bed early every nighgt without drinking -- is just too depressing. 5:15 am hurts, but it's worth it.

Life's short; burn it at both ends.

I'm in the process of making something for this. I don't really want to give any details quite yet, but it will be perfect for quiet practice. I'll make a post on dgcr when I complete the prototype.

I've heard of folks having success using pipe insulation for the support pole and cutting old waterhose tube to length for each chain. Putting with a softer hitting disc like a Blowfly should help as well. Even on normal baskets > 20 feet out it doesn't make as much noise as say a Dx Aviar when it hits.

EDIT: Extra insulation ( towels, pipe insulation) under the door works well to quell excess sound.

Last edited:
Bungee cords or rope vs chain and towel zip tied around the pole as well as in the bottom on the cage.

Stealth chains

Here's what I came up with that's extremely quiet and very effective at catching anything you throw at it. Start at post #24 to get detailed instructions on making the "chain." Instead building a whole basket you could just find a cheap portable (Marketplace, Craigslist or eBay) in need of some TLC and replace the metal chain with my solution. If you found one that had chains that were rusted up and in rough shape, you could probably get a really good deal.

I don't have a basement so I have to practice outside and more times than not it's late at night. I never have to worry about disturbing anyone.

Latest posts