• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket preference on new course build

My thought is, don't sweat the choice too much.

The top-line baskets all catch discs, and the differences are subtle. It makes little difference in the overall quality of the course---if it's a bad course, baskets that catch 1% better won't help, and if it's a great course, baskets that catch 1% worse won't hurt.

Visibility matters a little more, but only a little. Depending, of course, on the course. It can be a big deal for first-time players, but first-time players are only so once---after playing a round, you know where the baskets are. And even with low-visibility baskets, many holes are visible or pretty obvious.

UNLESS, as others have correctly said, you have multiple pin placements. That makes bright colors more valuable. Not a substitute for a good sign system, but with or without it, still more valuable.

The other factor is the property, and non-disc-golf use and aesthetics. Sometimes it's good to have disccatchers, which visually sing out "disc golf", even from a distance. Sometimes it's good to have something that doesn't stand out, that fits better into its surroundings.

DGA baskets are insanely overpriced compared to the competition. Prodigy T1 is the best bang for the buck on the market.

Innova Discatchers:

1) High quality time tested baskets
2) Innova will be around in 20 years
3) Innova stands behind their baskets it seems indefinitely
4) They are price competitive, they will do their best to compete with any other quantity price you get on other baskets
5) You can get the top band in other colors, so if you want to have two baskets someday, you can get one yellow set and another color for the second set -- makes it much easier to determine which baskets to throw at
6) Mike from Glide has a very good relationship with Innova, if you'd rather have a dealer negotiate for you

Good luck with the new course whatever you decide!

Innova Discatchers:

1) High quality time tested baskets
2) Innova will be around in 20 years
3) Innova stands behind their baskets it seems indefinitely
4) They are price competitive, they will do their best to compete with any other quantity price you get on other baskets
5) You can get the top band in other colors, so if you want to have two baskets someday, you can get one yellow set and another color for the second set -- makes it much easier to determine which baskets to throw at
6) Mike from Glide has a very good relationship with Innova, if you'd rather have a dealer negotiate for you

Good luck with the new course whatever you decide!

Everything Consult said. Get a bid from Innova and any other company and compare for yourself.

I like the Discatchers a lot, and the Mach X and T1
Are nice but they do require a very hard putt. The MVP and Veteran baskets catch well also.

If price isn't a concern, I prefer the Prodigy baskets. I feel the most confident putting on them.

Mach X are a close second.

Good feedback everyone, thanks.

Yes, I want baskets with color, something that pops.

Flags will also be used because of the elevation changes, although some of the blind shots are part of the strategy on some par 4's where the basket is visible up to the point that you get to the landing zones.
Similar to ball golf where you can see the green and pin up to a certain point and then it disappears when you get to your ball. This makes you get a bead on the location and depth and makes a player dig into the imagination box and go with intuition and "see" the line without it being spelled out for them every time.

I will get bids.

Thanks again:thmbup::thmbup:

i was watching the tour on youtube this year and noticed the memorial (fountain hills) and maple hill used Mach X's that shined real well.

Makes me wonder what's the ratio for baskets on the tour being dga, innova, discraft, and so on.

Arroyo Vortex Baskets are the absolute best baskets I've ever played. Similar to Mach X, but with even better chains and all[/i] sharp, potentially disc damaging points removed and smoothed. They do custom colors and there are several bright green and orange in my area. They look and catch great without having to worry about a small misfire gouging your disc. They're the bee's knees!

RedBasket.jpg

Innova Discathchers are my favorite and the best priced in my opinion.

Arroyo Vortex Baskets are the absolute best baskets I've ever played. Similar to Mach X, but with even better chains and all[/i] sharp, potentially disc damaging points removed and smoothed. They do custom colors and there are several bright green and orange in my area. They look and catch great without having to worry about a small misfire gouging your disc. They're the bee's knees!

RedBasket.jpg

I've got one and don't like it. Trying to replace all my baskets with Discatcher Pros. The lack of nubs and the low profile top are really bad about sending a near miss flying. I've seen far more near misses go flying than get caught like the design intended. Another dislike is The basket isn't as deep as most new premium models. It also weighs a ton if you plan on moving them around.

I'd think twice about some of the newer models [that are made in China]. You may save a few bucks initially, but they are not time (and weather) tested. You've got some harsh winters out there ID, if I'm not mistaken. You're going to want a basket built to last. I would look into warranties and factor that in to your decision. For reference, the industry best warranty on a basket is 25 years.

Good luck, sounds like a fun property to design on.

Thanks for the replies.

I do like the Yellow Discatchers but, I cant see buying 22 of them just for the color. I have some friends who putt hard, probably too hard, plus, my putts hyzer out and I've had lots of center hits from 30-45 feet out that spit out which is always a heartbreaker.

MVP's look good and are top candidates, but the black only for now is a deal killer, need something visible from way out.

I'd be nice to get something American made too, I heard MVP are made overseas,,, correct?

I don't know of any of the known basket models that are made in the US. They're all imported AFAIK.

We've been dealing with the new-basket question for awhile in SF. Here's some bullet points from a presentation that was made at our last meeting (by an engineer who works on industrial solar panels...he knows his stuff and did the research). He compared the DGA Mach X, the Discatcher Pro-28, and the Prodigy Pro DG T1.

Note also that these bullet points are made with Golden Gate Park in mind (aka 1 mile from the ocean, so basket wear/tear/rust is accelerated here compared to other places).

Disclaimer: These are not my personal opinions. This is a small part of what was presented to us after he spoke to each manufacturer directly.

T1
+ Cost competitive
+ Design based on proven Discatcher Pro-28
- Zinc based primer over steel, then powdercoated
- Estimated that powdercoat will fail and steel will rust within 5 years

Mach X
+ quoted 20 year warranty
+ Most durable design (everything hot dip galvanized)
- Catching shape is different, mixed reactions

Discatcher
+ quoted 20 year warranty
+ Proven design
+ Cost competitive
- 400 series Stainless Steel, then powdercoat
(exact alloy is medium-quality SS, better than 410, not as good as 304)
- medium/long term corrosion is likely, estimated 7-8 years

As far as Arroyo - they were nice enough to give us a free basket to test. We put it at the practice area, and unfortunately the thing has just fallen apart in less than 2 years. Rusted over, weakened or broken welds, and most people complain about the catching shape...the sweet spot is odd.

At this meeting in particular, Arroyo and Prodigy were quickly eliminated from recommendation, and the big debate is now Mach X or Discatcher.

At this meeting in particular, Arroyo and Prodigy were quickly eliminated from recommendation, and the big debate is now Mach X or Discatcher.

I'd hazard the X could easily be picked up and brought over to the Park thus saving a couple hundred on shipping.

Otherwise, much appreciated on quality comparisons.

Does Gateway still make the Titan? Those are solidly built with a deep tray. Not sure if they come in colors or the price.

Years ago when I primarily used a lofted push putt, I hated the chastity belt on Innova Discatchers. Now that I've moved to a more level putt, I love them. DGA Mach X baskets are used at one of my local courses, and they are excellent as well.

As a reviewer, I wouldn't fault a course that has any of the top quality baskets. By top quality, I mean more than a single layer of chains and made of solid, corrosion resistant material. With that said, equipment is a secondary factor in my course ratings. The quality of the shots is by far the most important factor. As long as the equipment is adequate, it is at most a tie-breaker when I'm rating a course.