• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket Security - Best tips n tricks?

ChrisWoj

Common Core Crusader
Silver level trusted reviewer
What are your favorite tips for securing baskets against theft?

Context for my question: my home course has been approved for 20 new baskets (19 holes + practice basket). We would like to ensure that they are not stolen. They are in a rambunctious area of town - plopped between college student neighborhoods and apartments run by slumlords. We haven't had baskets stolen in recent years, but in my 18 years golfing a few have gotten yanked out of the ground.

These baskets will be permanent in their positions, no alternate spots so no need for regular movement.

The following come to mind immediately for me:

1. Loads of concrete (how much? 2 50 lb bags?)
2. Hammer rebar into the ground within the holes before pouring concrete
3. Weld the baskets into place at the bolts

Any other thoughts or products that can help us ensure that these new baskets are not a theft risk?

What are your favorite tips for securing baskets against theft?

The following come to mind immediately for me:

1. Loads of concrete (how much? 2 50 lb bags?)
2. Hammer rebar into the ground within the holes before pouring concrete
3. Weld the baskets into place at the bolts

Any other thoughts or products that can help us ensure that these new baskets are not a theft risk?

1. If some jerk wants to just pull the basket over I don't know if any reasonable amount of cement will stop them. The normal 80-100 pounds of cement will make it very difficult to steal, but it's not to hard to pull a basket over.
2. Rebar will make it harder to pull the basket over, but again if someone is determined they will get the basket on an angle.
3. Welding the basket will make way harder to steal than just using a standard lock, but if someone really wants to steal a basket they will cut the pipe with a sawzall.

In my opinion, if someone is determined to steal or uproot a basket I don't know if there is anything that can be done. :(

The way to stop the Sawzall is to place a loose stick of rebar in the pipe, so it extends at least 6" above the ground. I've seen pictures of a few partially cut basket pipes with bloody cut marks where the loose rebar defeated the sawzall or hacksaw blade.

Drop a loose piece of rebar (or a few) into the pipe. Hard to saw as it spins, and the next section drops down if they do. And it's loud.

I've seen parking meters with angle iron welded to the sides to prevent pipe cutters from circling them.

Or, fit an 8 inch diameter concrete form tube around the pole all the way up to the bottom of the tray. And fill it with concrete.

Weld shut the s-hooks that hold the chains.

Notify the nearest scrap metal place to be in the lookout.

The way to stop the Sawzall is to place a loose stick of rebar in the pipe, so it extends at least 6" above the ground. I've seen pictures of a few partially cut basket pipes with bloody cut marks where the loose rebar defeated the sawzall or hacksaw blade.

I was thinking he meant to put pieces of rebar in the hole horizontally before pouring the cement/quikrete so it would be much harder to pull out of the ground.

I was thinking he meant to put pieces of rebar in the hole horizontally before pouring the cement/quikrete so it would be much harder to pull out of the ground.

So? Even if the OP did mean that, loose rebar in the pole has been a thing around here since at least the mid-'90s.

Both. Pound the re-bar into the dirt around the hole. Leave a few inches sticking out of the dirt to be enveloped by concrete (think tree roots) to prevent the basket from being tipped or spun.

When the concrete is set drop some re-bars into the poles.

It is just plain easy & quick to defeat most basket security methods with cheap cordless tools. I think most basket thefts are by players who want backyard practice convenience. Bulk, weight, & transportation are the saving grace of public equipment. I think Steve's concrete sleeve all the way to the tray idea is effective.

I don't see how pieces of rebar inside the pole would keep someone from sawing the pole?
The blade only has to cut the pole, not the rebar inside. Am I missing something??

If the rebar was inside the pole and somehow welded to the pole I could see that being nearly impossible to cut with a Sawzall.

I don't see how pieces of rebar inside the pole would keep someone from sawing the pole?
The blade only has to cut the pole, not the rebar inside. Am I missing something??

If the rebar was inside the pole and somehow welded to the pole I could see that being nearly impossible to cut with a Sawzall.

Vibrates like hell. Things that vibrate don't cut easy - it moves instead of tears. Also noisy.

Yes, if they figured out they need to change position to saw from all angles, they could cut the pole. Which they might not as they hurry to get the thing cut quickly before the noise draws witnesses.

Welding the rebar to the outside should work as well as welding it inside, right? Also blocks pipe cutters.

Chuck definitely knew what I was talking about in my post. He's the one that first mentioned that to me when I was working the grounds on the courses he was designing/improving for 2007 Worlds at Highbridge Hills. The additional idea he just provided is perfect to add to the options.

And actually I won't even be able to implement the horizontal ones, because it sounds like Discraft's 1998 sleeves will work with our new baskets? So it sounds like we're just getting the old baskets taken out of the OG sleeves and popping in the new ones. The rebar suggestion he made sounds like exactly what we need to increase security (even if, as pointed out repeatedly, someone determined enough can get a basket if they try hard enough).

A loose piece of pipe as a sleeve over the support pipe might accomplish the goal.

Like a 4" -5" sleeve. Maybe put a little spray foam in it so it's not rattling around under normal conditions but wouldn't sit still if some tried to cut it.

Loctite

I always Loctite the nuts/bolts, but putting a weld on them might be better - sends a good visual message.

At my local courses, all baskets are the moveable type with the sleeves, but the vast majority never move, the hole only has 1 position, and in those cases it might have been better just to buy the regular poles that go into the concrete without the sleeves for moving positions.

In my experience, some baskets are more prone to being stolen than others, if parts of the course are not accessible by car/truck, it is less likely someone is going to steal a basket and drag it over a half mile to their car/truck, so I put risk ratings on each basket.

If I had some baskets that were really vulnerable, I might try putting a section of larger diameter pipe around the base, boring a hole through the inner and outer pole, pushing some thinner rebar through the holes, wrapping it around the pole and putting a couple welds on it.

I might even pour some concrete inside the pole

But I came here to say pour concrete down the pipe, possibly after loose rebar.

No way a Sawzall is cutting through this. :clap:

A gas powered cut-off saw or angle grinder would go through this, but not to many people have one at their disposal.

Plus, a Sawzall cutting through pipe isn't very loud, but a cut-off saw or angle grinder cutting through pipe/concrete/rebar will definitely wake the neighbors!

Ideas that really work—

The 8" concrete around the support is good. It's larger than most cutting tools thus a significant hindrance. Biggest issue is likely breaking it with a sledge hammer. Re-enforcement would be useful.
Labor intensive. Somewhat expensive.

Loose rebar. Great potential to ham and or dull the blade. Definitely increasing time to steal. Downside? Someone has cut partially into the support which would likely need to be repaired via welding.

The pipe sleeve wouldn't be cheap, but it kind of addresses the concerns above while providing similar benefits. Could even drop some bar in between the pipe and support.

Note, the pipe and rebar are generally soft steel and thus RELATIVELY easy to cut with the right tools.

If you've ever tried to saw something that isn't fixed against the saw, you can see how the loose bar really does create a problem.

You said there are existing baskets. If they aren't being stolen already maybe you could sleep better. Also, the tabs are the weak link using locks. Tabs are soft & so easy to cut. Still, the local baskets stolen over the years had lock cut; amateurs!

Latest posts