• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Security Measures (Johnson Park, GR, MI)

Hyzer's

Birdie Member
As some of you may know, I'm pretty serious about raising money and holding a tourney to help pay for some new baskets as most of them were stolen in the past few years.

While playing Black Locust today, I noticed that in addition to the Master Lock, there was a small section of welding holding the basket and the ground pipe together. To remove these in the winter, a die grinder with a small air compressor could be used to cut through the weld.

What do you guys think? Would this be a good and practical security measure to make sure the baskets don't get jacked again?

People will just dig up the concrete if they really want it, but it might deter some of the less dedicated DB's.

I've seen it where it LOOKS like it's welded, but it's not actually. That makes it less likely to get jacked, but doesn't require the grinder. Ultimately, GDBP is right, if they really want it, you're not going to stop them, but most people aren't THAT stupid. They wouldn't go to quite that much work, but you never know....

crazy so many people are stealing baskets everywhere :/ we never really have that probably at any of our courses. i think welding them to the sleeve is not a bad idea. and really a grinder would get the job done quick if you needed to move it. you would just have to find someone with the time to do so. We happen to have a guy that is a welder in our local club. he has made 4 sleeves for us at no charge :) now we just need to find better mowers..... on our course we have A and B positions and the people who mow the grass seem to always hit the sleeves that are barely sticking out. makes it impossible to slide the basket into the sleeve. whats even worse is that one of the sleeves that was hit has a 30 FT dirt circle around the basket. No Grass even close to it....... o_O

^^ LOL we have those guys also... One ran into a basket and bent into all to hell. That was a couple months after a kid was doing donuts in the fairway and ran into one. If it hadnt been there he would have rolled his truck.

We haven't had a basket stolen in a year or so. The tack weld is a great way to prevent theft, as is also adding an extra bag or two on concrete. We have a course that has multiple pin positions so welding isnt an option there. They decided to get the pancake locks since they think they are harder to get past, but I was operations manager for company that sold entry tools for a couple of years and know better. Just as easy unless your cutting it, and then its just slightly more annoying.

Personally I wish there was a GPS system that could be used/affordable... Then just go pay a nice little visit to the DB's house.

Yeah, the thought of putting a small GPS bug in the pole crossed my mind. I would love to confront the scumbag that thought they got away clean with a basket...

I loved johnson the time i played it... but it sucked that it was poles.

There are a number of us who are planning on holding a fundraising tournament this summer to raise funds for the park. PM me if you are interested in playing or helping.

We like to put heavy objects on our baskets. Hard to steal, but tough to play.

Attachments

• Oak Grove hole 12 short position.jpg
    Oak Grove hole 12 short position.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 33
Years ago when Mt Airy was installed the park people allowed a disc golfer, who is also a welder, to weld the baskets to the sleeve. Not sure exactly how or where he welded but as far as I know a basket has never been stolen from Mt Airy.

The trick is filling the hole with rebar that sicks out to the sides this way the db's have to dig a big ass hole all the way around the hole. It works good but if they want it bad they will still get it. The rebar should be about 4ft long. Just use a sledge hammer and pound them in at angles when the cement is wet. This way the rebar sticks out into the ground about 3ft around the pin. It makes it much harder to dig them out when you are standing on the rebar. It is also very hard to rock them out. We have had the most trouble in the spring when the ground is wet..