• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Improving Johnson Park Grand Rapids, MI

ovar

Birdie Member
Johnson Park

Hey all, I have been in touch with Kent County Parks and Rec about improving Johnson park (baskets, tee-pads, and signage). "KC Parks has absolutely zero funds available for this" was the response that I got, big surprise. Anyway I would really like to make this happen. Johnson would be the premiere disc golf course in Grand Rapids with baskets, tee-pads, and signage. It is ridiculous that this has not been done yet.

So working under the pretense that any improvements done to the course will have to be done with money raised through donations and such, how do we get this done? I would like the fund raising to begin soon and last through the winter, hopefully raising enough money by spring to purchase baskets and materials.

Kent County Parks and Rec is currently discussing if allowing businesses to sponsor individual hole expenses in return for a mention of their contribution on the tee sign will be allowed. Other fund raising ideas: benefit show, contacting PDGA (if anyone has had experience doing this please chime in), contacting the local YMCA if anyone has had experience doing this please chime in), other ideas?

I am working on getting a donation PayPal site up right now!

Like I said I want to have the money needed by spring. Whoever is interested in making this happen lets put our heads together and DO IT!

This sounds like the project that we are wanting to start in Denver withe the Globeville landing course. It too is a pole hole course with no tee pads. Talk to Jroll about the progress on that to see if you can get any ideas.

You could get temporary baskets and set up the course for a fund raising tournament, once people saw how nice the course could be you're more likely to get help with money and work.

Whatever you can make work. I don't know what the local scene is like, but if there's a big club, often they know who has baskets that could be used for the day.

Im not really sure how it would be done, however i love johnson park even without all the "good" stuff! I would LOVE to see some improvements to this course! It could easily be the number one course in GR with a some baskets, tees and signs.

ovar, check your PM's

Edit: me and valkriye also have an innova skillshot we could bring for a day if it was needed, and if we did end up doing a funraiser or tourney or w/e, i think discraft sells prize discs for like 6.50 each for ESP discs, so we could prolly sell some plastic or something, ill let ya know if i think of any other ideas

Last edited:
Update:
Kent county has supplied an online method for donations that will be available shortly. I emailed Jerry from Dogs of Disc on possibly helping out with getting this rolling.

so i am doing the same thing i denver with one of the parks. we are about about the same place. I have contacted the park department and was asked for a proposal of improvements and where to get the funds. My proposal highlighted how the course would improve the park and add to the amount of people coming into the park. I emphasized that this would cost the city zero money and that all I wanted was permission to do this. I am still in a waiting period at this point but these things take time. The three main ways in which I have proposed to raise money for the course are: annual tournament with all profits going to improvements (only minimal plastic payouts), basket sponsorship (public companies and private donors), and lastly taking one or two misprint packs and making custom dyes to sell for profit for the fundraiser. hope this helps keep me posted on your progression and I will do the same

Thanks jroll for your comments. We have other courses in the Grand Rapids area that were made possible by basket sponsorship but these are not county parks. Apparently county parks do not allow advertising and as of now the parks and rec department consider hole sponsorship a form of advertising. This is not set in stone. The Kent County Parks and Rec dept. are considering allowing this type of sponsorship. If they allow this, getting the money needed should be pretty easy.

Thanks jroll for your comments. We have other courses in the Grand Rapids area that were made possible by basket sponsorship but these are not county parks. Apparently county parks do not allow advertising and as of now the parks and rec department consider hole sponsorship a form of advertising. This is not set in stone. The Kent County Parks and Rec dept. are considering allowing this type of sponsorship. If they allow this, getting the money needed should be pretty easy.

Really? what other parks were made possible by sponorship? jaycee/lamar or old farm right? there the 3 i havent played yet, but i thought all others were done by city (riverside/brewer/cascade) and i think a boyscout troop or something re did garfield park this year, or atleast the signs

Update:
I have just heard back from Founder and they have said they would be interested in hosting a benefit show possibly some time in February. As of now the band I play in, "Chip Fundy" will be playing along with 2-3 others bands TBD. I would like to get in some acts that have a decent pull.

Update:
I have just heard back from Founder and they have said they would be interested in hosting a benefit show possibly some time in February. As of now the band I play in, "Chip Fundy" will be playing along with 2-3 others bands TBD. I would like to get in some acts that have a decent pull.

too bad pop evil made it big time, there a local band lol

I'm from G.R, born and raised and I used to play Johnson park a lot back when it had baskets. It was a great course as far as terrain and fun factor but was always very neglected by the township as far as any maintenence. Tall weeds everywhere, unkept fairways and the crappy tee pads were full of foot deep holes to break your leg in, the park eventually had all its baskets stolen or vandalized and came to be known as sort of a bad heroin/crackhead hangout spot. I havent been back since the parks crumble and demise, poles were eventually put in the missing baskets positions. Dont get me wrong I do like this park and would love another functioning park in town but my fears are that all your guys hard work and fund raising will be for nothing if the township continues to ignore maintenece, and as long as these ******* punks are hanging out in the park. Good luck guys, Ive been on Grandrapids parks and recks butt for 2 years to fix vandalized signs at riverside park with no luck, lots of excuses and no action with them. Ill keep up on this and see where it goes. By the way I'd be the first one signed up for a fundraiser tourney for johnson.

Baskets would not have to be put in place right away. Depending on how much money is able to be raised, there might only be enough to put in new tee pads and decent signage. At least this would get more people playing the course and hopefully lead to the the county caring more about the park.

I'm from G.R, born and raised and I used to play Johnson park a lot back when it had baskets. It was a great course as far as terrain and fun factor but was always very neglected by the township as far as any maintenence. Tall weeds everywhere, unkept fairways and the crappy tee pads were full of foot deep holes to break your leg in, the park eventually had all its baskets stolen or vandalized and came to be known as sort of a bad heroin/crackhead hangout spot. I havent been back since the parks crumble and demise, poles were eventually put in the missing baskets positions. Dont get me wrong I do like this park and would love another functioning park in town but my fears are that all your guys hard work and fund raising will be for nothing if the township continues to ignore maintenece, and as long as these ******* punks are hanging out in the park. Good luck guys, Ive been on Grandrapids parks and recks butt for 2 years to fix vandalized signs at riverside park with no luck, lots of excuses and no action with them. Ill keep up on this and see where it goes. By the way I'd be the first one signed up for a fundraiser tourney for johnson.

At riverside park this year, they

1. paved the parking lot
2. moved hole 18's tee to right location
3. did the back 9 with concrete tee's to match the first 9
4. brought in the west michigan goose control to try and get the geese to leave (them i saw old people the day later with a pickup bed full of goose food, feeding them all.

and alot more i am forgetting right now, im verry happy at all they've done this year with the park, i hope they fix up the old course next year, unless they want tp fund johnson, but 1 of em has to get fixed :p

Good luck with your efforts bro, I know your intentions are good. I was proud to participate in the saugatuck tourney last weekend which was a funraiser for cement pads, Im also working on raising funds for improvements on another course thats new and in the making. Youll hear about it soon. Ive made a lot of phone calls and emails to the parks and rec departments of G.R and Kentwood for work on the parks issues, kentwood has been real supportive, supposidly cement tees and better signs are coming next summer for old farm which is one of my favorite small parks in town. I'd be at a tourney for fund raising at Johnson park in a heartbeat too. Really anything to help the local disc golf scene or help my local parks get better, Im all for it.

donations

When i lived by Brewer at sharps creek I thought of doing what they did in ludington.Open up a account at a bank,ask for a measly dollar from people playing the blue at brewer,have a legitamate list which people sign,give some kind of receipt so they can't come back on you.Tell the people your cause and remind them of the greens fee's at some of the local ball golf courses.One dollar is a small price to pay for nine holes at brewer.Most people give that to Guy in any given week.Do not buy one basket at a time,they are cheaper in bulk.Have a bar graph later on to show people your progress and letting them know are not b.s.'n them.Only my suggestion,but i think if you had the time it would raise money very quickly if people are willing to give.oh ya,if your gunna put baskets back factor in the cost of alot of concrete,make it harder for people to steal the baskets.I could give you names of people who would probably help with your labor.Do not,do not ask the dog's for any help or trust your money with [email protected]

Last edited: