• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket Stolen from Veterans Park (Sylmar)

Danger

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Steve Rico told us that pin 5 was stolen during broad daylight a couple of days ago. The practice basket is over there now, and the current practice basket is a lame mach III.

Apparently it was stolen between 4:30 and 5:30 PM. It's a white rimmed Innova DisCatcher.

Kind of a unique color, so I'm sure they would be happy if you have heard anything...

That sucks. We just had another basket stolen here in Bako. That makes like 4 now. These idiots took the time to unscrew all the bolts, take the cage and the chains but leave the pole. And this particular basket wasn't even locked on the bottom.
I am tired of our baskets being stolen and hearing of baskets in other cities being stolen. the cost of a basket in almost enough for this to be a Felony. Baskets thieves sadden my love for the game. On one hand I've met and known some of the best people playing disc golf. On the other hand there's all these selfish,lazy,no good losers playing a game and bringing it down.

What other sports which are almost free to play do the people who play the game steal the supplies used for the game?
God, I wanna Donkey punch these jackasses!

^^Basketball hoops at city parks are regularly defaced.

Tennis courts are regularly ruined by people playing soccer or skating on them, and good ones cost around 100k to build.

Sylmar is not the greatest neighborhood in LA, so there is a good chance that the basket may just turn into scrap. That particular pin is alongside a road that would be impossible to catch somebody on from the course.

Some one may spraypaint on a basketball backboard but they're not takin the time to go dig up or unscrew the pole and back board. i've seen both done from these scumbags who play dg.

WAS GONE!!! We played our Wed. Tag game there yesterday. All the baskets are in.

Oops... we played in the morning. Damn. Right after we left. That sucks.

^We were there yesterday as well. He implied that it had happened on like, Monday or Tuesday. The pin they have back there is the red and black rimmed practice basket. The one that was stolen is White. Steve said his buddies literally played a round, and played a second round and it was gone.

lame... some north valley scum ruining it for everyone

this is the hole that feldberg and climo tee off together on in that pro video shot at sylmar. i have to run, anyone have the link?

Sylmar is not the greatest neighborhood in LA, so there is a good chance that the basket may just turn into scrap. That particular pin is alongside a road that would be impossible to catch somebody on from the course.

I agree that it will probably end up as scrap. I would say that 3/4 of the baskets stolen from courses are not by disc golfers but by some junkie trying to get their next fix.

I'll repost to venturadiscgolf.com and let Conejo Disc Golf know.

I was up there the day after it was stolen. I was talking to recycler Steve <different from Rico> and he said all the copper sprinkler heads were stolen from the El Cariso Golf course. It looks like scrap hunters.

Basket 17 was stolen at Sylmar just after the Sylmar open in 2009. They tried to get 18 but couldn't cut through the locking tab.

Hole 5 is right next to a hole in the fence that leads directly into some back streets that are essentially one of Sylmar's ghettos. Lots of gang and drug activity in that neighborhood.
DSCJNKY

It seems like everyday I see another thread about a basket getting stolen. :thmbdown:
As a golfer who plays Sylmar regularly, I take personal offense to this.
Maybe it's time to seal up that hole in the fence.

This is depressing to hear about baskets getting stolen, thieves stealing other people's discs and bags, and courses getting tagged up and stuff. I think sylmar should have sealed up that hole a while ago. I played it once and understood why shark said people would come through it and steal discs. It is pretty messed up. My course is in a richer side of town but is still tagged up from time to time. Other courses around my town are in some bad shape as well. No where or at least that i know of has had their baskets stolen in vegas

There are a number of holes in the fences at Sylmar. On 5, 6, 14 and 16 that I can think of offhand. As has been said, Sylmar isn't a great area in and of itself. I've heard shots fired in the neighborhood on a couple of occasions. There used to be a few kids between the ages of 10 and 13 who'd come into the park and swipe discs from around the basket and then call you up and try to ransom them off. I haven't seen them in a while. Especially in LA, DG only gets in the areas no one else wants. Gang areas, drug parks, gay hookup spots... these sorts of places. Real estate is just too pricey to waste on a park, let alone one where it's hazardous to picnic or play soccer.

^I would love for you to explain how every course down here is in gang/drug/gay territory, but OK.

My experiences at Sylmar involving the locals have all resulted in me getting my disc tossed back over the fence. Oh, and that yard by hole 4? Turns out that dog is actually super friendly and will not kill you. Nonetheless, I am very aware of the usual experience in Sylmar in general. In my honest opinion, I don't think sealing up the hole will help anything. Most of the neighborhood enters the park there, and I'm sure it would just get clipped again. Also, the fence is kind of in a ditch, and I think you can pretty effortlessly hand the basket over the fence.

Lately my issue has been at Oak Grove (I'm not sure if this is gang, gay, or drug land?). Was talking to another golfer who had his disc stolen from his lie. Later, we were trying to get a disc out of a tree and a bum stole my buddies disc from his lie, which was on a tee-pad. We later found him and he was all like 'ohh, yeah I was gonna call the number.' Yeah, whatever.