• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Baskets made of recyled Military Ordanace, Hawthorne NV

This basket took me about two days with a little help from my gramps. It is two identical blue fins put together, metal 30mm ammo boxes as the basket, and a 50 gallon oil drum on the top with old rusty snow tire chains hanging down. The reason my chains are a little light is because I haven't been able to find more and I need enough for my second basket :) IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT HAPPENS TO WORN OUT OLD TIRE CHAINS PLEASE TELL ME BECAUSE THEY WORK GREAT! or something military that could pass as the chains???

I could only get my hands on the fin part of the bomb because the top part is where most of the explosive was and had a massive weight in the nose cone. In my first drawings before I got any material I had put a nose cone on the top of the basket. I hope that I can find more different materials at the base and museum to use and make many different looking baskets.

Once I get my second basket built I will post some more pictures of both of them, and I am really happy everyone likes it

PAINT - There are a few reasons why I am going to paint these first two. First the slogan of the town here in Hawthorne, NV is America's Patriotic Home. So red, white and blue are a shoe in. Second the military paint has kept mostly all the rust off of these parts, not including the chains, and I dont want rust to occur where my welds and grind spots are.

Make 18 of them and make a course. I wish I could contribute something like that to disc golf.

I agree that a second ring of chains looks like it would help, even if it does catch fine now.

Diggin It!

That's cool, Bro. Use what you got and you got talent and creativity. :clap::thmbup:

I'd like to know the pros and cons of horizontal chains in "regulation" baskets.

Can we rig up some live ordnance to go off in the middle of that lake when someone hits and Ace?!

Thanks guys! I am gaining a lot of support from people here in town to put in at least nine holes for now. I am currently working on another basket that is about the same but with regular chains. I tryed everything to get old snow chains so it could be a course of recycled materials but cant find them.
The chains on it now catch pretty well but if you hit chains from 30 yards or more it isn't gonna stay down. I will post some more pictures when I get my other baskets finished and painted up

Really cool! good luck! At our course we have a few home baskets. They just add to the game! Just no live ones OK!

That is great keep building them. I'm sure that the sport will grow on people out there simply for the fact of the remote location. Any DG'r would love to be blessed with the sight of a basket after driving on Hwy 95.

Thanks guys!! I am getting three painted up and finished within the next month. Then by Earth day set them up in the park beside the other festivities and try to gain more intrest in the community and sell a few discs to fund the project.

Also I have been trying to make this course possibly affiliated with the ordanance museum for a number of reasons. First I think it could be a good relationship to inform people of what they are playing on. Also discs could be sold with thier stamp on it.... The artistic side of me wants to get a bunch of different looking ordanace and make a different looking basket for each hole.

Thanks again for the support and I hope to have a course on highway 95 for you guys soon

I like your appoach, good luck with getting affiliated. Anybody here live near Aberdeen MD?

This is my personal basket I just finished up.

Attachments

• basket.jpg
    basket.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 25
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 15
  • middle.jpg
    middle.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts