• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Baskets stolen at new Kentucky course

If concrete is put in the pole, would this prevent the basket from being used in an alternate pin placement on the same hole?

If the concrete locks the pole to the sleeve, then yes. If it doesn't, there isn't much point in putting concrete in the pole to begin with. If you want the baskets to be easily taken out of one sleeve and put in another then you end up with baskets that are relatively easy to steal.

While theorizing about the relative difficulty of removing baskets that have been installed so as to prevent theft is interesting, I think the real answer is just to install the baskets how they are supposed to be installed and just put up with the risk of theft as a cost of having a course.

A welded rebar cage. Prevents easy access to the padlock with bolt cutters, but could still be reached for unlocking/moving.

Would need to be heavy bar, like 8 or 9 bar. Yes, it could be cut with a similar tool that is used to cut the pipe, but it would double/triple the time/effort to remove the basket. Thinking about it, the ring could be a bit lower, closer to the lock, but the risers need to go up close to the basket.

It's a bit of effort, but not complicated or particularly expensive.

attachment.php

Attachments

• basket theft prevention.jpg
    basket theft prevention.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 194
We have a few baskets in frequently flooded areas and the ground gets so mushy that people just rock the baskets out of the ground with concrete attached. We've been lucky none have walked off, but I've seen a couple laying on the ground next to their hole.

I just do not understand the lure of stealing baskets. People who do this have zero brain cells to rub together. Galvanized scrap steel is around $175/ton so a 50lb basket is going to net just over $4 and if you go after 18 that's $79 where you risk a felony theft charges which are (in michigan) 5 years prison and a possible $10k fine...wtf. And even you don't scrap them wtf are you going to do with them? Put them up on your private course? Resell them? Criminals are dumb.

If concrete is put in the pole, would this prevent the basket from being used in an alternate pin placement on the same hole?

(Un)fortunately, that's not much of a problem in the Mitten State. A few courses have a 2nd basket location (i e 2 badkets all the time).

But hardly any of our courses have rotating pin positions, where a single basket is actually moved to an Alt placement.

(Un)fortunately, that's not much of a problem in the Mitten State. A few courses have a 2nd basket location (i e 2 badkets all the time).

But hardly any of our courses have rotating pin positions, where a single basket is actually moved to an Alt placement.

Around these parts, the one entire course I can think of that has two pin placements for each hole is Courtland. Fallasburg has two pin locations for hole 14.

Oh, wait. Hammond Hills (in Hastings) has multiple pin placement for all 18 holes.

Shore Acres has multi pins for most all of the holes, I seem to recall.

So check that, there are a few courses with multi pins in the area. Probably more that I'm not remembering right now.

I just do not understand the lure of stealing baskets. People who do this have zero brain cells to rub together. Galvanized scrap steel is around $175/ton so a 50lb basket is going to net just over $4 and if you go after 18 that's $79 where you risk a felony theft charges which are (in michigan) 5 years prison and a possible $10k fine...wtf. And even you don't scrap them wtf are you going to do with them? Put them up on your private course? Resell them? Criminals are dumb.

I really don't think the goal of any basket theft is scrap money. Someone who has the vehicle, time, and gas money to go steal 10+ baskets does not need the two digit scrap fee that metal would bring. That is a pretty large vehicle to hold all those baskets. At least a full size pickup.

So that leaves
A) pure vandalism,
B) private use, or
C) resale online

I think the fact that these were taken from a brand new, well advertised course is of note from a 'why' point of view. Is someone ticked at the county park/recs department? Someone get hit in the head with a destoyer 6 months ago? Someone upset at the loss of part of this park for other activities? Someone lose their favorite disc in the woods the first day? There are dozens of courses in the greater Cincy area, yet this is the one selected. Just doesn't seem that 'random' to me...I would wager the thief is also a player and in fact played this course the 1st day or two, to get a lay of the land, carefully investigating each targeted basket...I don't suppose they have any cameras in that park...

Install 1970s baskets.

Those things are pretty damn fun to putt on. I wouldn't mind seeing more of them around tbh. If anyone is ever in Minny, check these things out if you've never seen them before. They're...um...unique :D

Those things are pretty damn fun to putt on. I wouldn't mind seeing more of them around tbh. If anyone is ever in Minny, check these things out if you've never seen them before. They're...um...unique :D

Made a point to play a round at Moir Park when my son and I did our Target Field trip a few years ago. They take some getting used to, but function pretty well for the most part. Don't recall them rejecting any truly good putts, but they certainly seemed a bit "bouncier" than chains.

I think the biggest difference was the sound. That hollow "doink" sound was less satisfying than chains, but maybe that's just a conditioned response.

Different experience for sure, and I'd recommend anybody squeeze a round in on a course equipped with these if they have the opportunity.

Anyone know if they're PDGA approved?
Not that I ever expect to see a tournament held a course with cones ...just curious I don't feel like looking it up at the moment.

Judging by the rest bench decorations, Hansen Park has an active and rabid cone-basket fanbase

The Cincy facebook page said 3 baskets were stolen from the Vineyard Church course in Springdale. If true we're going to start losing courses from places that aren't willing to replace them.

Not stolen baskets, but another mention about vandalism in general: I went to the park board and worked last fall and winter to redesign the AmShank (Amelia, just suburban Cincinnati) course last fall and winter. It was fun, but a lot of work to cut wooded lanes, add signage, turf tees, and alternate suggested greens out there, but with an Eagle Scout building a bridge across the creek, I had high hopes.
We've increased course traffic probably five- or ten-fold in 2022, but the boneheaded kids (I assume) can't help just destroying people's work. They burned the rails on that bridge (we replaced), then ripped them out (replaced), and have ripped them out again. They destroy every sign they can, about once a month (replaced the first three or four times), and stuff our signage down the port-o-let, or toss signage in the creek.
Folks say 'put up a trail cam', but since they won't be prosecuted, why spend money and effort doing so?
It's disheartening, to say the least.

Latest posts