• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Beast vs. Valkyrie

Which do you prefer, the Beast or the Valkyrie?

• Beast is better!

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • Valkyrie is the one!

Votes: 62 66.0%

• Total voters
From Marshall Street:

"Bringing back the original, more stable mold! Originally Posted by Innova Customer Service Thank you for throwing INNOVA. It appears the main question here is: Will Beasts only be produced with the new "old mold"? The answer is yes.Here is the whole story which should answer all of your other concerns.The Beast was created in late 2002. After Barry Schultz won his second world championship in 2004, Dave Dunipace made a slight change to the Beast mold to make it a little less high speed stable than the original. He felt the original Beast was too similar to the Orc. Since the original mold was retooled, we have only able to produce the new retooled Beast.In 2014, problems arose with the Beast. Malfunctioning mold parts could no longer be used and were retired. We ordered new Beast parts from our mold making company. They mistakenly produced the Beast from the original disc specifications and not from the updated 2004 specifications. So now we have a new "old mold" Beast. Barry Schultz was very happy about it as he got his beloved original Beast back. Since we can no longer make the Beast with the faulty retooled parts, every Beast going forward will be made with the new "old mold". It is possible some retailers will continue to have older Beasts in stock until they sell out.The flight numbers on the Beast will remain unchanged as they accurately reflect the flight of the current version of the Beast. Collectors will be able tell an original old mold from the new old mold as the new mold does not have patent numbers. The only way to tell the difference between the retooled mold and the new "old mold" Beasts is by the shape of the rim. Most Beast throwers and savvy collectors are already aware of these facts. Again, all Beasts going forward will be made in the new "old mold"."

Though, I've personally never seen any Pro or Star Beasts in the X-mold. In one of the other Beast threads a guy mentions they have't made any Beasts in the X-mold using Star or Pro plastic.

I will say I love L-mold Beasts for rollers.

Thanks for the info. I may stop somewhere this weekend and see if I can find one.

I will say I love L-mold Beasts for rollers.

I can definitely see that. But my arm speed needs more distance driver options in this speed range. I love my Champion Orc, but would like a few more choices to complement it.

I think with a bit more turn, and a tick less fade, the Beast-X could be it...I just need to find one that works for me :\

Thanks again for all the help everyone...I don't have anybody to talk to about this stuff, so I really appreciate your time.

I can definitely see that. But my arm speed needs more distance driver options in this speed range. I love my Champion Orc, but would like a few more choices to complement it.

I think with a bit more turn, and a tick less fade, the Beast-X could be it...I just need to find one that works for me :\

Thanks again for all the help everyone...I don't have anybody to talk to about this stuff, so I really appreciate your time.

If you really want a great Beast, look on here or Ebay for an old, pearly champion Beast from about 2005. They're not ridiculously rare. You will be in love instantly.

While you're looking, check out the Infinite Discs Sphinx. Allegedly a Valkyrie top and Roadrunner bottom, it's a really great disc for distance, glide, as well as fairway accuracy when thrown for that.

I was out throwing my dx Beast today on a 350 ft hole. My best rip got knocked down by a tree limb. I usually practice out in a baseball field away from trees. Also, I don't have a Valkyrie but I do have a Viking which only goes around 280 feet for me.

^Viking will be more overstable than a Valk generally speaking.

Right, then I got the FD thinking it would be better for my arm speed but it doesn't have any turn. Sometimes you can't win.

While you're looking, check out the Infinite Discs Sphinx. Allegedly a Valkyrie top and Roadrunner bottom, it's a really great disc for distance, glide, as well as fairway accuracy when thrown for that.

I have the Exodus on my list already, so I'll add the Sphinx as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

I picked up a champ Beast and no doubt the plh is higher then a DX Beast. Anyway, I was having some fun throwing the Dx at different angles. I got this one hole that goes way to the right. I throw the Dx flat and high and it goes way to the right. I guess I don't need a Mamba.

Last edited:
The Star Valkyrie I have that is low dome/almost flat topped is like a standard DX Viking when brand new never thrown before, it works best when winds are up and I want a Valkyrie feel in the hand. If you get a Domed Champion Valkyrie that is not mega domed should fly like a Road Runner or Monarch and give that shape of flight with a Valkyrie rim feel.

The Star Valkyrie I have that is low dome/almost flat topped is like a standard DX Viking when brand new never thrown before, it works best when winds are up and I want a Valkyrie feel in the hand. If you get a Domed Champion Valkyrie that is not mega domed should fly like a Road Runner or Monarch and give that shape of flight with a Valkyrie rim feel.

Dude. He didn't mention the Valkyrie, Viking, Roadrunner, OR Monarch. He mentioned the Beast. What the actual ****:wall:

First quote below is today's OP. Second quote is Casey's response to [today's] OP. Please clarify your "huh" because I'm confused by you. My post was relevant.

I picked up a champ Beast and no doubt the plh is higher then a DX Beast. Anyway, I was having some fun throwing the Dx at different angles. I got this one hole that goes way to the right. I throw the Dx flat and high and it goes way to the right. I guess I don't need a Mamba.

Depends on how fast you throw IMHO.... I threw a GStar Beast for a few months until I lost it. I liked it but it was juuuust a hair too fast for my arm so I didn't really get the full flight out of it. But it was also just slow enough that if I really cranked on it forehand anny it would occasionally turn and burn. When I lost it in some gnarly rough I couldn't find another Beast locally so I took a chance on a Valk (Pro, 170) and it's perfect for the straight-to-understable slot for my arm speed. Complement it with a Thunderbird for forehand rips and hyzer/high fade shots and I'm done trying new drivers for a while, lol.

But if you've got closer to 400' arm than 300' a Valk might be too flippy and a Beast or even Archon would be better for the straight-to-understable slot.

Last edited:
Depends on how fast you throw IMHO.... I threw a GStar Beast for a few months until I lost it. I liked it but it was juuuust a hair too fast for my arm so I didn't really get the full flight out of it. But it was also just slow enough that if I really cranked on it forehand anny it would occasionally turn and burn. When I lost it in some gnarly rough I couldn't find another Beast locally so I took a chance on a Valk (Pro, 170) and it's perfect for the straight-to-understable slot for my arm speed. Complement it with a Thunderbird for forehand rips and hyzer/high fade shots and I'm done trying new drivers for a while, lol.

Hey GripEnemy... see this?

Casey did not quote that last post.

Accurate.

He also wouldn't have posted had Discgolfer48 not bumped the thread. Did Casey even read his post or did he just ramble? The Valkyrie part of the discussion is over 4 months old. That's lazy on his part.

Hey GripEnemy... see this?

Yes, friend. That was posted AFTER I did. Doesn't mean **** for Casey's point. Bored?

Accurate.

He also wouldn't have posted had Discgolfer48 not bumped the thread. Did Casey even read his post or did he just ramble? The Valkyrie part of the discussion is over 4 months old. That's lazy on his part.

Yes, friend. That was posted AFTER I did. Doesn't mean **** for Casey's point. Bored?

I think you're way off base here. I see this kind of thing all the time. You really think that because the post right before Casey's didn't mention the Valk, that no one should ever more?
iconrotflmao.gif