• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beaver Ranch/Conifer Park might not be there tomorrow

Forest fire near Beaver Ranch/Conifer Park

Any of you Colorado guys know the fire situation up at Beaver Ranch. I see the fire is off Hwy 285/ So. Foxton Rd. so that is not a good thing. I've got my fingers crossed all will be well. Paulie, hope you're safe.

Judging by some of the media reports, and taking an overlook of the area on Google maps, the fire is about 2-3 miles east of the course. Last I heard, the wind was blowing the smoke from the fire towards metro Denver, and away from the course, so I suppose that's some good news.

But you know how these things can change on a dime.

Updates

I want to update as of this morning

First the course is still intact, and Paulie should be safe even though there has been no updates on his facebook.

This is a map of the fire and for those of you who don't know the exact location of the course go northwest from the fire to James Q Newton Park- the course directly south. Currently the perimeter of the fire is about 4-5 miles away but unfortunately the winds have shifted and are now going East to West.

Latest off Denver Post website....

http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_20264330

The Lower North Fork Fire in Jefferson County that left one person dead, 15 to 25 structures destroyed and more than 3,000 acres scorched continues to burn uncontrolled this morning.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _​

Fire crews working the 3,050-acre blaze are bracing for another wind-swept day as they scramble for more ground and air support.

Winds of up to 45 mph are expected today in the fire area in the mountains west of Denver along the U.S. Highway 285 corridor and officials are concerned about a repeat of yesterday's fire behavior, when the blaze roared through 3,000 acres in a matter of hours.

Hoo boy. And it looks as though there are a lot of folks houses between the course and the fire.

Hope and pray everyone.

as long as the winds don't shift the Beaver Ranch and Pine (Mountain Meadows) should be ok. <--from a note on the Fotthill Flyers Club page.

This is pretty crazy. The latest that I just heard on the news is that the fire is not contained at all. The good news is that Foxton Rd. is between Beaver Ranch and the fire as far as I can tell with hoped that they can use the road to contain the fire should it push that direction. Foothill Flyers guys keep us posted.

Thanks for the updates, guys. With all the beetle kill up there combined with the dry conditions it could be a while before they get that thing contained. Man, I hope Colo. gets some moisture soon.

Thanks for the updates, guys. With all the beetle kill up there combined with the dry conditions it could be a while before they get that thing contained. Man, I hope Colo. gets some moisture soon.

We don't have any precipitation in the 15 day forecast and March is on pace to be the driest March on record in Denver, we've basically had dew on the ground a few days, I read it was .03 inches for the month.

So much as I have heard, Beaver Ranch should be okay. It has a long way to go to reach Phantom Falls and a little further to reach Mountain Meadows. FD has two slurry bombers rotating in and out regularly and a smaller single engine on top of things.

Hard to imagine this happening all over again after the Haymen fire. The high meadow fire did end up burning some of the Phantom Falls area before it became Paulie's dream from what he has told me, but lets all hope that it doesn't kill these CO gems much less anymore of the houses and lives it has already destroyed.

on Sunday after playing Jellystone I was coming south on I25 just into Colo Springs when I noticed a very small amount of smoke coming from the side of the road. Someone had tossed out a cigarette and it had started a small bit of loose hay that was lining the road (I assume the hay was for erosion control). I stopped stomped it out (the burn area was the size of a plate) and kept going. The whole point of the story is to reinforce how dry it is here, we've had several grass fires already in the area. If we don't get some substantial moisture soon it's going to be a very bad year.

And maybe a little bit of wondering why people throw their cigarette butts out the window.. as an ex-smoker I understand that it's not wanted in the car, but in these conditions maybe ramping up the charge to "attempted negligent arson" would put a stop to it.

All is OK @ Phantom Falls. Keep an eye on Beaver Ranch/Conifer, the fire is close and 0% contained. Lets all keep the pp who lost life, pets and homes in our prayers. P22OUT

on Sunday after playing Jellystone I was coming south on I25 just into Colo Springs when I noticed a very small amount of smoke coming from the side of the road. Someone had tossed out a cigarette and it had started a small bit of loose hay that was lining the road (I assume the hay was for erosion control). I stopped stomped it out (the burn area was the size of a plate) and kept going. The whole point of the story is to reinforce how dry it is here, we've had several grass fires already in the area. If we don't get some substantial moisture soon it's going to be a very bad year.

And maybe a little bit of wondering why people throw their cigarette butts out the window.. as an ex-smoker I understand that it's not wanted in the car, but in these conditions maybe ramping up the charge to "attempted negligent arson" would put a stop to it.

On this note, if a course asks you not to smoke on it, please don't. It is really important that we keep stupid things from happening so please don't be selfish enough to ruin it for everyone.

That is the policy on many of the Colorado Mountain courses already and yet I still often find cig butts to pick up. Erg.

Just got an update from Janet Showne (director of Conifer Com-park). NO, & I mean ABSOLUTELY NO SMOKING on the DG course for all of April, and May!!! Don't let me or ANY of the Foothill Flyers catch you smoking at beaver ranch DGC!! 28 homes lost, 3 dead, Just DONT do it, your deathstick addiction is NOT that important!! P22OUT

here's the letter:
All,

This is from Janet Shown, the director at Beaver Ranch. Not only has her personal life been impacted, she's had to deal with some ignorant disc golfers who refuse to obey the closed park. Please do your part to spread the word and ensure that those who are dealing with loss don't also have to deal with these clowns. Below is from Janet:

Thanks for sending out that email! We have an update since the Sheriff's Dept issued a fire ban.

Jefferson County has issued a FULL FIRE BAN at Conifer Community Park at Beaver Ranch and all of Jefferson County. That means NO SMOKING OR OPEN FLAMES ANYWHERE IN THE PARK. People who are caught smoking, lighting a match or lighter, dropping a cigarette butt on the ground, or emptying ash trays on park property during this fire ban may be fined up to $1,000 and banned from the park. This is serious business. We cannot risk the park and our neighborhoods and will fully enforce this ban.

I am a fire evacuee (still camped out at Beaver Ranch) and 9 of the homes lost to this wildfire belong to friends of mine. Marsha knows the people that were killed. Our park has been closed since the beginning of the fire, but we have had disc golfers drive past the huge "Park Closed" sign, come into the park, and insist that they be allowed to play disc golf. We can no longer be tolerant of dangerous and disrespectful behavior from any of our park patrons, including a small minority of disc golfers.

We are so grateful to the disc golfers and the Foothills Flyers Disc Golf Club who have built and maintained the course, supported and encouraged responsible patron behavior, and continue to treat our park and community with respect. These people work diligently to keep the course and the park fire-safe, clean, and in its natural state – and we are TRULY grateful. We are asking those disc golfers to help us encourage others to respect the park property, comply with the fire ban, and leave the property better than they found it. What hurts our park hurts the disc golf course and our community. And what helps it helps us all. THANKS to all of you who are among those good stewards of this beautiful place.

Sincerely,

Janet Shown, Executive Director
Conifer Community Park at Beaver Ranch
P.O. Box 187, Conifer, CO 80433
11369 Foxton Road, Conifer, CO
303-697-8123 (home office M-F 9-5)
303-838-3705 (park office)
www.ConiferCommunityPark.org
[email protected]

Obviously common sense applies here, but....

It was the Forestry Department that started those fires and killed those people.

Not smokers.

Smoker Courtesy

Yes it is true that smokers DID NOT start the fire near BR. It is also true that smokers are responsible for leaving cig butts all over the ground at BR. Do you think that ALL of the 100's of cig butts on the ground were adequately extinguished B-4 they were carelessly thrown down? Why is it OK to throw a potential fire hazard, and very gross butt (trash) on the ground for someone else to pick up? Smokers, Please do not let your addiction over-ride common sense, course rules, the law, and courtesy. Please Put your butts (trash) in your DG bag, be very cautious with your firestick, and please DO NOT smoke if there is a rule against it. If you don't like the rule - simply find another DG course to play. Thank you in advance for your respect for our course and it's rules, extreme caution, and consideration of others. P22