• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] BEEFY Distance driver.

why not use a little more hyzer and hyzer-flip the disc?

i love my destroyers but they tend to turn in a headwind. i actually prefer to throw them into wind.

Haha, whoever you decide to buy from. Just ask them to make sure whatever you are ordering isn't crazy domey or something. you know, just to make sure it matches the characteristics of a "good" version of the disc you want. I'm afraid I've made this more complicated than it has to be, lol. Really I wouldn't worry about it.

A pd2, an xcal, a current non Vulcan destroyer, a villain or force, those will all serve you well I'm sure. They are well known for a reason. :)

I've been testing out a bunch of stuff for this slot lately, and I've got similar distance to you. So far I've tried a D1, CPD2, Rampage, and NukeOS.

D1 is nice, but it will turn over in a decent wind. I'd say it's pretty similar to a new star destroyer (admittedly certain runs of D1's are ridiculously stable, understable, whatever, I can only speak for mine).

PD2 I've got is 2nd (or 5th) hand, and has a bit of wear to it. It's nice and stable, but it'll turn a bit in heavy wind. I think a fresh one would be great for this.

Rampage isn't this slot at all; in 0 wind I can hyzer flip mine into a nice S-curve. Super ****ing long disc, but in no way would I recommend it for the OS slot.

The NukeOS I've got is one I picked up for $5.50 on ebay on a whim a while back, and it's exactly what I expected; it goes about 250-300 feet and then just dives to the left. If I put it on big anhyzer I might be able to get 330 from it but I can't see it getting much more than that. It'd be a great disc if I lived in Sweden/the Midwest, but in east TN we just don't get the kind of wind this would be useful for.

As of right now, the PD2 and D1 are keeping slots in my bag; D1 for spike hyzers and a couple of specific holes, PD2 for general OS duties. I think I'm going to pick up a new CPD2 tomorrow and see if it's not more along the lines of what I was hoping for.

I still want to try the XCal, World, Quasar, and OLace.

Well I live in Iowa and the wind here gets pretty crazy. It doesn't help our home course is flat and lightly wooded. All trees on course are planted. The wind direction changes a couple times while we're out there for 2 plus rounds. During the summer it's usually pretty calm but from now til June the wind will not stop from 9 in the morning to 6 at night. I think I'm gonna go with s line pd2. Or xcal. Hell idk yet ahaha but I need it now!!

Speed (over) stable, not really an overstable mold.

Giant, Xcal, Ape, NukeOS, Max, Stiletto, D1* (never thrown one), PD2, or even a Flick in no particular order.

yea when theres more wind, you want higher speed disc, and the rampage i have is a beef bomb

yea when theres more wind, you want higher speed disc, and the rampage i have is a beef bomb

That's cute.

There's discs I and others in this thread mentioned that are the same speed (as a Rampage), but are ACTUALLY overstable. Ask any reputable person on here and they'll agree with me. I may sound like an ******* right now but that doesn't make me wrong.

:popcorn:

But high speed isn't the only thing you want. Katanas are way faster than Firebirds but you wouldn't (shouldn't) throw one into the wind. That ******* GripEnemy :) is right, you need an actual overstable mold. Xcals are great.

Some Z Forces are pretty darn overstable.

I have a buddy that throws Z Forces and he is a legit 450 foot flat ground thrower. His new Forces are mad beefy. He has like, six or seven Z Forces in his bag, the oldest one is still far from flippy.

Why quote the word Stiletto? Doesn't register over here:|

I'd suggest a Motion but they're too deep down your throat for any of us to have thrown one yet. Whoops, wrong thread(s).

Just because a Rampage seems overstable to you doesn't mean that it is.

If my last sentence makes you question my form you're just naive.

Since you already throw a wraith, and we have a lot of in common molds, and my golf shot max d is 405.

I've heard a villain is the perfect over stable disc without being so beefy that it still gets good distance. This has arguably been the hardest slot to fill in my bag.

In the Midwest we get huge winds at times. I used to throw the teerex for that. I have yet to try a villain but I did my research.

The last few I've tried

Gateway spirit - too beef to throw past 350
Lucid/fusion trespass - beefy enough when it's calm, folds in a 20+ headwind

And currently I'm throwing c line PD. Hated this mold at first, it's really the ten speed eagle I've been looking for. Fights wind with a lil flip to flat, then just straight.

Mixed results with 20+ headwind with the PD tho, hence the villain suggestion

Try out one of the following,
OPTO Villain from Lat 64. Great wind fighter without being stupid OS and causing you to lose distance.
Giant from Westside, Non metallic Tournament plastic Giants are the most stable. If you dont want that much stability try a VIP (I know it doesn't make a lot of sense but this is how Giants work).
Giant is speed 13 and could be for you at your current power.

If less stability is needed, but still want something pretty stable and fast try a Westside world in the VIP plastic, super fast, long and quite stable. For someone wanting flat out speed and great distance, it will cut through reasonably powerful winds.

Slightly slower speed 11. Westside Boatman, designed as a side arm disc. has a little bit less glide than some others. I find them to be a bit more stable than villains, but not by too much. Try VIP for most stability in this case.

Hope this helps and gives you some good options.
World from westside

I have been throwing a 175 star teerex for my headwind/Beefy distance driver. As of late it's slowly starting to turnover in headwinds as my max distance increases. I hit 402 today but 370ish more consistently. I am not partial to innova but I do throw alot of their molds. I was thinking a star xcal or its equivalent. I was thinking maybe an avery Jenkins destroyer because I heard they were pretty Beefy as well. Recommend away!!

If you're turning over your Teerex, but only hitting 370-400', you don't need a new disc. Try working on throwing the disc with more hyzer. Also, with a brisk headwind, you'll want to make sure you're throwing more of a hyzer flip line drive type shot. I do that with my seasoned Star Boss, which is less stable than a Teerex, and it handles the headwinds just fine for 400'+ drives.

If you're turning over your Teerex, but only hitting 370-400', you don't need a new disc. Try working on throwing the disc with more hyzer. Also, with a brisk headwind, you'll want to make sure you're throwing more of a hyzer flip line drive type shot. I do that with my seasoned Star Boss, which is less stable than a Teerex, and it handles the headwinds just fine for 400'+ drives.

I'm talking 25-30+ miles per hour daily...

Im okay with it maybe turning just a hair. But I really want something thats gonna go straight with fade. But on the other hand I dont want something so stupid OS that I can't throw it for big hyzers because it just dives left..

Latest posts