• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

beer sponsors for PDGA events?

RustyStrings615

Par Member
Seems to me beer sponsors would be perfect for PDGA events. They could have vendors there selling their brew...except for the fact that most tournaments are held in City and State Parks, which don't usually allow alcohol to be consumed. But, couldn't they make an exception for an organized event...if beer sales were controlled and regulated?

PBR Open has a nice ring to it. But, even if the big companies wouldn't be interested...there are so many microbreweries these days ..surely somebody would be. Let's face it...disc golfers like beer.

I'm sure there is good reason why they don't...but it should make for some interesting discussion...fire away! :popcorn:

I'd rather play in the Sweet Leaf Grinder Classic but I guess a beer sponsor is better than no sponsor. I think the PDGA should be looking towards outdoor product makers. Like OFF brand bug sprays and more of the clothing and shoe manufacturers. I know Keen is great for sponsoring but not everyone wears Keens.

They are banning smoking at events, why would you think they would then bring in alcohol in the back end...

Also, a nice beer on the course can be fun... but to me people get ignorant very fast when they can't play without being trashed. In the same book to me as the losers that think they are so cool because they are still barely able to remember the correct order of 420 to write on tee signs.

But I guess to answer your post...no, it isnt the perfect sponsorship. There are 100's of things that relate to DG better. Beer does nothing, really, to improve your game. Shoes, apparel, umbrellas, sports drinks, gyms, outdoor sport companies, suntan lotions, pest repellant = much better.

Last edited:
I'd rather play in the Sweet Leaf Grinder Classic but I guess a beer sponsor is better than no sponsor. I think the PDGA should be looking towards outdoor product makers. Like OFF brand bug sprays and more of the clothing and shoe manufacturers. I know Keen is great for sponsoring but not everyone wears Keens.

Perfect... thats why you sponsor... cause not everyone wears/uses your product but you want them to.

Perfect... thats why you sponsor... cause not everyone wears/uses your product but you want them to.

um....I think you completely made an assumption on what I was saying. I was saying yes it's good that Keen sponsors but guess what....not everyone wears Keen so maybe the PDGA could reach out to OTHER shoe makers that are popular with disc golfers and give them a chance to embrace a piece of their market.

They are banning smoking at events, why would you think they would then bring in alcohol in the back end...

Well, you can't smoke in the venue for most major sporting events (NFL, NHL, etc.), but you sure can get as much beer as you could ever possibly want at pretty much every single one of them.

Beer sponsors all major sports but you don't see the athletes consuming beer during the event. You can have a beer sponsor for an event without having o drink it during the event. I know that all the major sports have spectators who drink during the game, but on a smaller level, beer sponsors can still sponsor DG without worrying about the "image problem" that caused the smoking ban. Isn't the national tour sponsored by woodchuck cider? If it is not currently it used to be anyway. If a major beer sponsor approached the PDGA, they would jump on it immediately.

There have already been lots of beer sponsors for some of our biggest events. Look at the 2008 World Championships.

Man, this site is full of noobs.

Is it possible to just have a conversation on this site? Seems like many of you are just here to argue and put people down. Such a shame...

i've got my fingers crossed for a Founder's Presents: The Double Trouble Doubles Showdown

best beer ever

Beer sponsors all major sports but you don't see the athletes consuming beer during the event. You can have a beer sponsor for an event without having o drink it during the event. I know that all the major sports have spectators who drink during the game, but on a smaller level, beer sponsors can still sponsor DG without worrying about the "image problem" that caused the smoking ban. Isn't the national tour sponsored by woodchuck cider? If it is not currently it used to be anyway. If a major beer sponsor approached the PDGA, they would jump on it immediately.

:thmbup:

exactly.

At Texas States they had a beer sponsor who also brought multiple kegs. You could buy a pint glass with their logo on it for $5 and the beer was "free"

Any sponsor is good ...suntan lotion, umbrellas, Gold Bond powder, whatever. But my thinking is that beer sponsors bring in the BIG BUCKS. Seems that they are always the most visible sponsor for every major sport.

No, I have never been to Worlds or an NT event (guess that makes me a noob.)

At Texas States they had a beer sponsor who also brought multiple kegs. You could buy a pint glass with their logo on it for $5 and the beer was "free"

That's a really great idea. The folks in Tennessee should do something like that. We have some great breweries around that I could see doing something like that...Yazoo being one. I wonder if the park rules in TN are just more strict than other places who do this sort of thing.

Any sponsor is good ...suntan lotion, umbrellas, Gold Bond powder, whatever. But my thinking is that beer sponsors bring in the BIG BUCKS. Seems that they are always the most visible sponsor for every major sport.

No, I have never been to Worlds or an NT event (guess that makes me a noob.)

While I agree that beer sponsors are typically the most visible sponsors. When the post game show is presented by Bud Light. I also agree that beer sponsors pay big bucks. I just don't know that there is a major enough disc golf event to bring in BIG BUCKS. Maybe there is and I haven't been playing long enough. I just don't see it.

If there was one near me and they did this
I'd be there

Beer sponsors have been in Disc Golf since the start. It does seem that it has not been as prevelent recently as it was in the past. I work for Coors and I really don't know why they would not sponsor a DG event if they were asked to.

THESE ARE NOT FOR SALE OR TRADE SO DON'T ASK....

Here are two 1985 XD's with Coors logos on them
KGrHqVpcE9eMM4r4ZBPfLtZr060_57.jpg

IMG_20120114_212114.jpg

Latest posts