• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

beer sponsors for PDGA events?

Bud Light and Sierra Nevada have sponsored several tournaments in Arizona.

I've played several events where the beer sponsor was a couple kegs during lunch and during (waiting for) awards, most recently, the St Louis C tiers.

Bud Lite was a sponsor of the Wintertime Open in Pasadena, CA for many years, when it was 150 class event with freestyle and Guts added.

There have already been lots of beer sponsors for some of our biggest events. Look at the 2008 World Championships.

Man, this site is full of noobs.

Word.

To name a few in MN -
Summit sponsored MN Majestic for years
Pabst Blue Ribbon Pines Open
Surly Open (not sanctioned, but good times drinking!)

Didn't woodchuck cider sponsor the national tour a couple years ago?

Locally in Iowa Hub City Brewing sponsors Hub City Open. They have a players party at the brewery.

Seems to me beer sponsors would be perfect for PDGA events. They could have vendors there selling their brew...except for the fact that most tournaments are held in City and State Parks, which don't usually allow alcohol to be consumed. But, couldn't they make an exception for an organized event...if beer sales were controlled and regulated?

PBR Open has a nice ring to it. But, even if the big companies wouldn't be interested...there are so many microbreweries these days ..surely somebody would be. Let's face it...disc golfers like beer.

I'm sure there is good reason why they don't...but it should make for some interesting discussion...fire away! :popcorn:

Yes, I am probably much newer to this site than you are. I have not been part of rehashing this topic over and over again. I obviously have never heard of events being sponsored by beer companies before. I am so very sorry to have opened up such a redundant thread...and you certainly are not required to reply to it if it annoys you so much. Thanks and I hope your life is less miserable than I imagine it to be. :)

Do the big disc golf events need to be sponsored by national beer companies that mass produce crappy beer? I think not, better to go with a local distiller IMO. Life is too short to drink tasteless nationally branded swill that passes for beer in this country.

I don't think the PDGA is as crazy and strict as you are making us out to be, I am running a charity event here at the IDGC on April 28th. We got alcohol permits from the county and are having a beer truck with 3 kegs donated to the event.

The players in the CEP C Tier event will not be able to drink, obviously from the time their card is out until it is turned in. The players in the one round non sanctioned corporate team challenge part of the event will have a cart girl (donated by Club Car) taking drinks throughout that course. The C Tier participants will be able to enjoy beers at $2 a piece (all money goes to charity) during their free lunch and dinner.

So yes I think its a great idea to get beer distributors/companies as a sponsor for your local events. As long as you have the correct permits for your park and obey PDGA rules.

I don't think the PDGA is as crazy and strict as you are making us out to be, I am running a charity event here at the IDGC on April 28th. We got alcohol permits from the county and are having a beer truck with 3 kegs donated to the event.

The players in the CEP C Tier event will not be able to drink, obviously from the time their card is out until it is turned in. The players in the one round non sanctioned corporate team challenge part of the event will have a cart girl (donated by Club Car) taking drinks throughout that course. The C Tier participants will be able to enjoy beers at $2 a piece (all money goes to charity) during their free lunch and dinner.

So yes I think its a great idea to get beer distributors/companies as a sponsor for your local events. As long as you have the correct permits for your park and obey PDGA rules.

Sounds fun

That's a really great idea. The folks in Tennessee should do something like that. We have some great breweries around that I could see doing something like that...Yazoo being one. I wonder if the park rules in TN are just more strict than other places who do this sort of thing.

Yes, most of the Tennessee parks (state, county, and city) do not allow alcohol as a general rule.

But, as with most prohibitions --- you can file for an alcohol event permit for the exception. That is what folks do if they are having a wedding reception in the park. Cost is real and greatly varies.

Any beer sponsor willing to file the permit AND pay the normal vending fee AND throw dollars into the payout pile would most likely be welcome. Just don't hold your breath. :D

Ron

I have definitely been annoyed with drunk idiots on the course. ...but, there's a big difference between enjoying a couple of beers with some friends and being totally hammered & obnoxious. But, we are talking about the benefits of sponsorship ...not about whether players should drink while playing. It would be more for the spectators enjoyment..and might boost attendance...who knows. When you go to an NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL game...most people are gonna have a beer or two and I don't think anyone would agree that it "hurts the game" in any way.

Personally, I'm more annoyed with the degenerates at my home course doing lines of coke off the teebox benches. Also...the prevalent pot smoking is more harmful to our image than anything. But then again PGA pros have been caught sparking up ....and lots ball golfers drink on the course too...they usually sell beer at the clubhouse.

unpopular opinion time: beer is harmful to the sport.

not even trolling, and won't be back to discuss. enjoy!

Sounds like a troll coment to me. He is not even going to tell us why it is bad for the sport... :doh:

Budweiser used to be the biggest sponsor for the US Open here in the 80's but the county didn't want beer. Real bummer they used to put in big money back then.

I'm pretty sure Independence Brewery sponsored an unsanctioned event this past weekend in Austin. Seems like a natural fit.

The Church Brew Works
North Country Brewing Company
and Full Pint Brewing

have all sponsored events and courses in the Pittsburgh area since the 1990's.

Also Woodchuck Cider was one of the main sponsors of the PDGA NT.

That's a really great idea. The folks in Tennessee should do something like that. We have some great breweries around that I could see doing something like that...Yazoo being one. I wonder if the park rules in TN are just more strict than other places who do this sort of thing.

OR has much the same state and county park rules---but for events you can buy an alcohol permit, which gives you a 1-2 day variance on the law.
MS just passed a law to allow up to 8.5% beer---sure wish Yazoo would move back home. :(

Weed Brewing Company donated a couple of kegs for one of our unsanctioned events and we put one of the kegs on the 8th hole for everyone to fill up on. Sierra Nevada donated two kegs last year for our end of the year event and we had a blast. Beer is made for this sport, and all of you squares who think otherwise can stick it where the sun don't shine.

Latest posts