• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner - my first arsenal :)

For the record, the predator is far from a turnover disc. A turnover disc is something that is understable that will "turnover" to the right (right hand backhand) when thrown hard and flat. A turnover disc would be something more like a Roadrunner or a Sidewinder.
Edit. Sorry for double post.

For the record, the predator is far from a turnover disc. A turnover disc is something that is understable that will "turnover" when thrown hard and flat. A turnover disc would be something more like a Roadrunner or a Sidewinder.

absolutely correct...

my bad.....
the pills i am taking to combat the lower back pain i caused myself from DG (via not stretching, alcohol, and my stomach muscles being out of shape) are making me loopy.

Understable = Overstable.

These arrived today.
Can't wait to get out and throw these around to see how they react.
Maybe Sat morning........at a local soccer field :)

What do you guys think of this selection?

Comments? Advice?

Len

For a beginner I like man. Good choices.

Drivers: The Valkyrie is low speed and the Katana is high speed, but both are understable which is what ya want. I think most would agree. Good choice on the plastic for being a beginner as well.
But llike most are telling ya. Don't worry to much about the drivers right now.
Accruarey is what ya want first. Power comes.

Mids: You've got the two most quarrelled about mids in your bag. The roc and the buzz, in my opinion, are the two mids that people...well..."Buzz is better. No, Roc is better. No, buzz. No, Rock!!!"...to put it bluntly. Now you're set up to make your pic as you get better. Both are great.

KC ROCS 4 LIFE!!!

Putters: Same thing. You've got two different putters. Both widely preferred and, again, you're set up to choose between the two. Pic which one best suits you over time and then buy more of those. ALWAYS HAVE PUTTERs OF THE SAME MOLD TO PRACTICE WITH.

...from there is just getting better with what you have, accuracy and distance wise and finding your range, then you branch out to other plastics and molds and discs all together.

Last edited:
The discs you have are OK minus the Katana. Put that aside or trade it for now.

Pick one from Roc and Buzzz.
Pick one from Aviar and Magnet.

Then play a bunch and see how it goes. Once you find the putter you like, you may want to pick up some extras for practice.

I am going to suggest putting the Valk and Katana aside for a while unless the Valk is 150 class then it might work. Otherwise I think the discs you have are pretty good, you may find yourself liking the Buzzz over the Roc at this point because it isnt quite as stable. Weight is a big part this early in the game, for your putters and Mids it probably isnt that big on an issue right now, but i would suggest an Innova DX Leopard or Gateway S Sabre at aroud 165g for a driver (discraft people help me with their disc) once you get that down I would move to the Valk and once that gets good them think about the Katana. otherwise you have a good start to working your way around the course

Leave the Valk and Katana out for now. I would keep both putters and both mids and throw them all. Just after you try them out, I would keep one reserved specifically for putting that you like putting with the best, and use the other for throwing on short drives and upshots; it helps out your entire game doing that.

absolutely correct...

my bad.....
the pills i am taking to combat the lower back pain i caused myself from DG (via not stretching, alcohol, and my stomach muscles being out of shape) are making me loopy.

Understable = Overstable.
Damn, sorry about that.

Yes... solid first set.

I agree very much with the previous post about trying to un-learn bad habits. That is my whole game right now. I came out with drivers and wanted to throw a 300' long shot. It drove me nuts and built in a ton of frustration. Definitely concentrate on form, but I also agree with the previous post... don't stop throwing them.... just try to not get frustrated with them. I followed all of that advice, and started to play with only a disc or two... a mid and a putter... to really concentrate on form, and now.... it is like relearning everything. I think you can do better to just start small, and try to focus on form to not get frustrated.

The Valk is a great disc. I have that exact one... but mine is considerably more hammered. I now have two Champion Ed Valks as well.....

I am not a Roc guy.... even though I have heard them touted often on here. My girlfriend lovers her BUZZ.... I use a Stingray right now, and I love it as my mid range approach disc.

I do agree with a previous poster.... an Eagle or an Orc would be an awesome addition.

In terms of putters.... my girlfriend and I both use two. I have a Dart for far out putts... the Dart doesn't roll or skip as bad for me, but close up.... I have a harder time with it. I also have a Crossfire by Qwest, which I LOVE for short distance, it has a great feel, but it ROLLS and ROLLS and ROLLS unless the pin is on totally flat ground, so that is why I keep the Dart around. Before those two, I used an Aviar. My girlfriend uses a soft Magnet for distance putts, and a Blowfly II for closer ones. She loves them both.

Last bit....

Karla uses a Banshee for a fairway driver, and she loves it. I prefer the Eagle (more understable....)

My first three discs were;
Valk
Panther
Aviar

The Valk will give you problems at first, but it will come in time. I'm quite jealous that you happened on the Roc and Buzzz in your beginnings...wish I would have discovered the two sooner. Those will be the discs that will teach you the most. You can keep the Katana at home, or you can take it out and have some fun. I think beating it in a little bit before you actually learn how to throw it might make it a great disc for you when you're ready for a disc of that speed. Putters are different with everyone. You'll probably only be able to find one putter that you're comfortable with. Don't use your putters to learn how to "throw" a disc. You may get discouraged with its deeper rim, and they are for those finesse shots.

RULE #1....HAVE FUN
RULE #2....THERE IS ONLY ONE RULE

TDon't use your putters to learn how to "throw" a disc. You may get discouraged with its deeper rim, and they are for those finesse shots.

I gotta disagree with you here. Learning how to throw putters and mids will absolutely help you throw further and more accurately with your drivers, and will help you figure out any bad habits you have. If you can't put some speed on a putter without it turning over into the ground, it means you're not getting anywhere near the distance you could be out of any of your discs.

katana might be too fast. speed 13 are too fast for me, i tried the xcaliber and wraith and could barely control the wraith until i could throw 300. I disced down to the predator from xcal. Keep the katana stored away, I'm keeping the xcal until i can really get some juice onto the throw, which i guess I'll have to (reluctantly) learn by throwing my buzzz and meteor. yeah, valk was my main driver until my brother lost it. still, i wish i would've been told only to throw mids to start, too.

Used plastic

Here's my take.... I've been playing 8 months, in my book, still a newbie. All the discs you have are going to be useful as you develop your game. Are any of them used? A weathered, broken in DX Valkyrie is money. You'll be able to get some good distance early if the disc is broken in. The Roc is great for windy conditions, even to use as a putter. My friend, just enjoy the game, let it come to you. If you really dig it, you will improve quickly because your playing and practicing more than most. Your already off to a good start with your arsenal and with asking for advice on this website.

Like many have said leave your Valk and Katana at home for a little while until you learn control with your Roc, Buzz, and Putter(just one) When you do start throwing drivers add an Archangel/Sidewinder, Eagle/Teebird, and Banshee or equivalents. Over time move on to faster drivers as your power and distance improve. Also experiment with different weights. Many beginners mistakenly buy heavier discs than ideal. Not only can lighter weights benefit less power but also are better down wind while heavier weights are more stable into the wind. Final 2 cents.. Your Roc/Buzz should be your best friend(s) for a long time to come, many people can throw them near driver distances consistently and accurately and half of their bag will consist of different weights, molds, and conditions of that one disc for many circumstances. There is a reason for their popularity.. both awesome all-around discs.