• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Beginner need some advice

xxxSUPERMANx

What would you guys recommend and some beginner discs? What is a good amount to start with? I know mainly three. Done some research and this is what I'm thinking about getting.

Distance driver which I don't think I need cause of the course I'll be playing but get it anyway is Boss or the Destroyer.
Fairway driver Teebird.
Mid-range Shark or Skeeter.
Putter Avair there is like six different ones and wouldn't know which one to get.

Any thoughts. Thanks.

Don't mess with the fast stuff till you can control the slower stuff. Start out with the putter and the mid before you mess with the drivers. Your selections look OK. I prefer the Skeeter over the shark and a Leopard over the Teebird. HTH

Thunderchicken said it right. Don't waste your money on fast drivers yet. Worry about control.

This is what is a pretty nice starter set.
Teebird/leopard combo
skeeter/roc combo
Any avair will do. You just need to feel them and see which one you like better. The ones with bead will be more stable like KC pro and JK pro.

I use the combo just so that you can see the difference in your throws with each disc. I would but the champ or star versions of the fairways and mids (except the roc dx all the way)

Just be careful if you are going champ plastic. Some champ Teebirds can be pretty overstable. Leopard may be more up your alley. And the basic Aviar Putt and Approach disc is all you need.

Most people here will tell you to use a Leopard. There is good reason to have a Leopard for your driver as a beginner, even once you get a little seasoning, a Leo is a great disc to have.
I think (as I'm sure most here will agree) you shouldn't throw the Boss or Destroyer yet. Get a Valkyrie, it is a 9 speed understable(ish) driver that has an easy learning curve. Compliment that with a Sidewinder. You should use your Leo as much as possible, but whenever you get a chance to have multiple drives, try the Valk and the Sidewinder.
You will run into people on the course that will tell you that the Boss and the Destroyer are the discs to have because they can manipulate then to get some fools gold type distance.
You seem eager to learn since you posted here looking for advice. Stay the course and grow into these other drivers. Once the Valk is not doing it for you, then move up to a Wraith. If you outgrow that then start looking at the other drivers.
Go to youtube and watch some Dan Beato vids. They will help you with form.

I'd suggest a Buzzz and a putter for a few months. Keeps the cost down and it's all you need. Regarding a putter, it doesn't really matter at this point; just have a putter.

I'll add my vote to the Leopard. But I'll even further it by saying get 2. 1 in the normal weight you throw, and a 150g. You can use them for just about any shot you need to make including distance drives. The Teebird is a great disc too. I'm not a big fan of the Aviars either for the same reason you seem daunted by them, too many choices. But if you have an opportunity to feel different types of Aviars that surely will help narrow down which one to try. And for a mid you can't beat the Buzzz. Maybe a Buzzz and the Skeeter.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

I started out with a Discraft beginner set which included an XL, Buzzz, and Magnet. I only still use one of those and it's the Buzzz, but the only disc I've taken OUT of my bag is the Magnet, not a fan once I found others. In my recommendation, I would say check out a Dart, it's a putter and it's pretty sweet. For mid-range I'd go with a Buzzz, for various reasons I actually have 3 now...For a driver, I actually did some looking for my brother yesterday as he's new as well, and I would recommend the Leopard or Monarch, both from Innova.

Quick hits:
Driver- Discraft XL, Innova Leopard or Monarch; 160g or lower I would say
Mid- Discraft Buzzz; it does work
Putter- Personal preference, Star Dart, however that is up to you on what you like.

Also, if you can, try and find somewhere where they sell used discs and buy the less beat ones just for the fact that you'll get the more "true" flight ratings out of them. Hope this helps.

Baseline plastic, lighter weights, nothing above speed nine, and mostly understable. Brand doesn't matter both the two biggest companies offer a lot to choose from. Are you ordering online or shopping a local store? If local what kinds of discs do they stock?

A 150 class champ leopard or a 160's pro leopard will be great, but like others said, I wouldnt even go that far yet. Ask a friend for a used DX roc or a buzz and work on throwing those flat and low. When you distance gets over 250-300 consistently, then throw in that leopard and DX teebird. Doing it this way takes patience but will be exponentially better for your game (and wallet) in the long run

Start with fairway drivers, like a cheetah, Teebird, or Leopard and just throw in a midrange and putter

I've been playing for two years now. my snap is just to the point where I can control faster drivers. I still carry a teebird a leopard and a banshee in my bag and use them >50% of tee shots... try a gateway VooDoo for a good controllable putter.. nice and glidey and holds lines nicely.

If you really want to learn to throw, stay away from any and all drivers. Get an understable mid and a putter that feels good in your hand. D, Dx or Pro, X type plastic. Until you can throw straight, hyzer and anhyzer at least 250 ft, there is no need for a driver. Then a fairway driver like a Leopard or XL and a Teebird , Valk..... While it will take some patience, you will actually learn to throw better.

^^THIS^^

But if you feel the need for a driver right off the bat, go with a Leopard, XL, or even a River (sexy plastic)

Understable mids like a Stingray, Comet, Meteor or Fuse will help your form.

And I am a fan of the good ol' Aviar. But whatever putter feels good to throw, will be a good choice.

If you want to break away from the mainstream brands, I would say to go Vibram and pick up a Ridge (putter), Ibex (mid-range), and Trak (fairway driver). The rubber discs are super easy to grip and fly true right out of the box.

I'll go a slightly different direction

Westside Tournament Warship for a neutral mid and a Latitude 64 Test Material River
lots of glide on both of these discs, not too fast, easy to work

and any putter that feels good in the hand

If you have a Play It Again Sports in your area that sells discs, that would be a great way to try out some discs without breaking the bank.

Is suggest going ahead and getting the nicest discs that money can buy, you will get there one day anyways. Just kidding, I would suggest getting a more slower stable driver along side of a control driver so that you can see how wind effects flight and how drastic a mold can make a difference. Get you like a dx whippet or banshee with that Leo or gazelle

Latest posts