• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

beginner set up

hklpro

Today was my first round and I want to buy my own discs. What would you recommend for a beginner (make/model)?

Drives and long approaches are RHFH and the rest are RHBH.

What online retailer would you recommend?

Thanks!

Welcome to DGCR!

As for an online retailer, I'd recommend either marshallstreetdiscgolf.com or discgolfcenter.com. Disc Golf Center has free shipping and you can choose your weight and color.

If you're going to work on your backhand, I'd advise getting a Comet.

When I have a bit more time I'll give some more advice on FH discs, but I'm sure some other people will give you some as well.

I would learn to use the same discs FH as BH, but there are some discs that are easier to do that with.

Pick a putter; which will be a matter of feeling them and finding the right one; then get a Innova Gazelle for your main fairway, then probably an Innova Roc for your mid, both in DX. Then, get a disc that will be overstable (IE start turning right RHFH) suuch as a Banshee, Firebird or Predator; just be carefull that you dont start leaning on that disc as a crutch for FH throws.

Welcome to the sport. Hope you have fun with it.

For your first couple months, go out and buy a couple discs that you think look cool. Just have fun playing, forget the scorecard. If after a few rounds/weeks/months you are still digg'n the sport and want to get serious about improving, c'mon back and start researching throwing styles, techniques, and disc molds.

Otherwise, the $25.00 Innova starter pack is a great deal for solid beginner discs.

I have good resutls with both discnation.com and discgolfcenter.com.

Most sidearm throwers I know use a disc with a thick rim to get a good grip. So starting with a Beast or Viking would be good. Then if you get real good at it a Wraith or Destroyer will work.

For the ups using a RHBH an Innova Shark is the best beginner and allpurpose disc out there. It can also be sidearmed on shorter throws.

However I would suggest learning the backhand. It will make you a more rounded player.

Today was my first round and I want to buy my own discs. What would you recommend for a beginner (make/model)?

Drives and long approaches are RHFH and the rest are RHBH.

What online retailer would you recommend?

Thanks!

http://www.discoutfitters.com/
Since you go to Rockburn, you can probably call or email Joel or Brian and set up something so you can check out the discs before you buy them.

Welcome to DGCR!
I would suggest getting these to start out:
Discraft Buzzz (Mid)
Innova Wolf (Mid)
Innova Beast (Driver)

These three all worked out for me when I started, and I still use them all today. Good luck getting into the game, finding a putter, and finding more friends to play with! :hfive:

Do not go over a innova speed six/seven for both fh and bh. that is what I have been doing since I started, so for you I would buy a comet, roc, and a putter. All of your friends will buy high speed drivers and throw further then you at the beginning, but on big unpredictable flex shots. for about a month. You're game will be more consistent, you will be more accurate, and in the end you will throw further (if you stick with mids). Also, starting out throwing FH only is a big crutch many new players use (I did) and can be less predictable than BH. I would learn both, it's great when you can switch depending on the shot.

discraft Comet in Elite X plastic. this disc can do A LOT! you would be wise to use it for life.
you also need a putter. a regular old DX Aviar Putt & Approach will do just fine. you could also try a Gateway Magic or Warlock. either in Medium or Soft Plastic.

as far as retailer I suggester either gottagogottathrow.com, discgolfcenter.com or marshallstreetdiscgolf.com the second two will let you select the exact weight and color you desire. all three carry pretty much everything. all three will hand select the discs if you put it in your order notes.

welcome to DG

The Innova starter pack really is a good selection of discs, but I would get a heavier putter (most, if not all, of the packs are 150g). That's a preference thing, but most people like putters with a little more weight to them.

The DX Leopard that comes in the pack is a first driver that I would recommend to any new player, and heavier Leos in different plastics are great discs to have as you get better.

The first disc I ever bought was a Challenger. I'm still using it.

I started out throwing all FH using a champ Teebird. It was pretty sweet, but I was borrowing it from a friend. The disc I wish I had tried earlier is the Comet.

Getting one of the starter packs is your best bet. They are put together the way they are to allow you to get better quickly.

Don't forget rule #1 - Have FUN!

Thanks for the replies. I think a starter combo set will be my start.

Putter: Gateway Wizard - a billion people use this, and it would probably help if you experience it early.

Midrange: Comet - best thing for learning, and it can do everything once you get a smooth form.

Driver: Teebird - great for FH and BH and it really helps to work on both early on.

Advice: I would advise against anything really overstable for FH (e.g. the previously mentioned Firebird and Banshee); although it will be easy to control, it will cover up any bad form you have and limit the types of throws available to you.

Ideally, don't go above anything speed 7 for a while, but 9s are also pretty good and I think a Valkyrie is a great disc to learn FH with.