• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best cold weather sports gloves for disc golfing in the cold months?

I guess it wasn't a specfic request to remove my gloves, it was a competitor comment that grippy gloves are illegal when he saw the grip of my gloves. I had never read the rules at that point so i figured i should remove them.

now when i read the rules it says (gloves) are exempt if they are to control abrasion to the skin. if the gloves are to keep your hands warm, i don't believe they are exempt. Therefore if they are grippy then they may qualify as an artificial device that may directly assist in making a throw.

Gloves are gloves are gloves. There's nothing in the rules that discerns that a glove can't have other purposes (such as warmth or grip) in addition to "reducing and controlling abrasion".

Additionally...QA 11.
Q: May I use stuff on my hands to get a better grip?
A: Yes. The use of grip aids is generally acceptable since nothing in the rules specifically prohibits their use. You may need to clean the disc periodically to prevent grip material from building up and adding thickness or weight to the disc. Applicable Rules: 801.03 Artificial Devices; 801.02 Discs Used in Play.

That right there implies that the "grippiness" factor of the gloves doesn't render them illegal. How is a grippy glove different from using a substance like stickum or pine tar on your hands? It isn't.

I just wear Sealskinz Performance Activity gloves and take 'em off to throw. :shrugsmiley:

No joke, best money I've ever spent on anything, ever. :forealzsmiley:

I've been throwing with Thermax glove liners on. They are thin and skin tight and, although not very grippy, they work quite well.

My wife knitted these for me. Not necessarily made for disc golf, but they're pretty much perfect in that regard.

Attachments

• 1959379_10204209077363737_523901681792780229_n.jpg
    1959379_10204209077363737_523901681792780229_n.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 26
I guess it wasn't a specfic request to remove my gloves, it was a competitor comment that grippy gloves are illegal when he saw the grip of my gloves. I had never read the rules at that point so i figured i should remove them.

now when i read the rules it says (gloves) are exempt if they are to control abrasion to the skin. if the gloves are to keep your hands warm, i don't believe they are exempt. Therefore if they are grippy then they may qualify as an artificial device that may directly assist in making a throw.

it does not say anywhere in that rule that gloves may be worn *if* they are to prevent or control abrasion. there is no condition of use; you are reading and interpreting the rules incorrectly. it says that any device that reduces or controls abrasion is legal. side benefits are a perk, you get to wear grippy gloves. hooray. if you feel guilty about it and won't wear them, that's your call, but they ARE exempt.

tell him to kick rocks and learn the rules next time.

gloves still suck IMO. like i said before: big leather mitts, hand warmers, cold and dry discs.

Last edited:
it does not say anywhere in that rule that gloves may be worn *if* they are to prevent or control abrasion. there is no condition of use; you are reading and interpreting the rules incorrectly. it says that any device that reduces or controls abrasion is legal. side benefits are a perk, you get to wear grippy gloves. hooray. if you feel guilty about it and won't wear them, that's your call, but they ARE exempt.

tell him to kick rocks and learn the rules next time.

gloves still suck IMO. like i said before: big leather mitts, hand warmers, cold and dry discs.

best tldr in this thread

it doesnt take long to build tolerance in your hands to the cold.

Fingerless.....pockets are for in between shots.
10270537_778509628881934_8995786614886427132_n.jpg

Latest posts