• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Best Compliment for PD

I would think like anything else generic compliments always work. Tell it that it appears to have lost weight, or they are looking younger than they are etc.

...Clever.

However I hesitate a bit without knowing how far you throw, as the sword may not seem understable to you.

Cheers - Koffee

I am just now starting to hit 320-340 consistently. I can throw a Stalker about 300...if that's any kind of comparison for you guys. The Surge SS was getting some pretty good distance for me, but I really want some with a tad bit more Turn, less fade, and perhaps a tick more speed. I know I'm being really specific, but if you know what you want, you know what you want.

Looking at the Sword on Joe's flight chart, it seems to be rated like a Surge SS...discgolfcenter has it at 0 turn, 2 Fade...so which is it?

I would really like to be able to cover all Driver shots with two molds: PD, ______? So whatever is going to give me distance hyzer shots and max D anhyzers...that's what I'm referring to by "compliment"

The Surge SS was getting some pretty good distance for me, but I really want some with a tad bit more Turn, less fade, and perhaps a tick more speed. I know I'm being really specific, but if you know what you want, you know what you want.

I would really like to be able to cover all Driver shots with two molds: PD, ______? So whatever is going to give me distance hyzer shots and max D anhyzers...that's what I'm referring to by "compliment"

Well, the bit about wanting something with more turn and speed, but less fade than a Surge SS makes me think you'd like an Archon or Monarch, but they're not very versatile drivers.

If you're looking for one versatile mold, the Destroyer is probably the best option. A light weight beat up Pro would be easier to turn than a fresh Z Surge SS and a fresh Star would have enough stability to handle strong winds at your power level. You should consider trying a Blizzard Destroyer too.

If you're looking for one versatile mold, the Destroyer is probably the best option. A light weight beat up Pro would be easier to turn than a fresh Z Surge SS and a fresh Star would have enough stability to handle strong winds at your power level. You should consider trying a Blizzard Destroyer too.

I agree with this. You could grab a few Destroyers and cover all shots needed with one mold. Very similar to the PD in workability, but longer. Pro's beat in to flippy, while new heavy Stars are typically pretty stable.

Based on your distance, you dont have the snap for a destroyer and its only going to act as an overstable hog. You are better served getting a C-PD to cover your overstable shots... and either a) beating in the p-pd, getting a TD/Roadrunner. You should think about adding a FD/JLS/River option for a fairway driver.

I've found the best complEments for my PD to be a Firebird and a Sidewinder for that range. The only other driver mold I carry once in a while would be a Quasar because it's faster than the PD for the links course I like to play from the long tees, where it's 500'+ holes and accuracy isn't really at a premium due to all the wind out there. Just let the Quasar rip and take the few extra feet over the PD. (Note: as others have stated, you really just need three things in addition to the PD: something for rollers or long turnovers (ie: Sidewinder, TD, Roadrunner, etc), something with a different fade pattern than a C-PD (ie: XXX, Firebird, etc... the C-PD does fade, but it's a different fade pattern than the XXX/Firebird), and your favorite warp-speed driver at a 12-13+ speed rating).

Note: The PD is not a replacement for a set of fairway drivers, despite how well it powers down - which is why I also have the Teebird/Leopard combination.

Last edited:
(Note: as others have stated, you really just need three things in addition to the PD: something for rollers or long turnovers (ie: Sidewinder, TD, Roadrunner, etc), something with a different fade pattern than a C-PD (ie: XXX, Firebird, etc... the C-PD does fade, but it's a different fade pattern than the XXX/Firebird), and your favorite warp-speed driver at a 12-13+ speed rating).

Note: The PD is not a replacement for a set of fairway drivers, despite how well it powers down - which is why I also have the Teebird/Leopard combination.

Yeah, those are the shots I'm trying to cover. I'm loving my P-PD and S-PD combo. I currently have a heavy Predator that I let take on any really hard hyzer duty...but I can't get the thing to fly over 300 feet.

I use Stalkers and a River for the Fairway slot.

Everybody keeps saying Sidewinder or TD...but from what I keep reading, these two discs don't fly very similarly. The TD intrigues me, but what I keep hearing is that they don't cover the long anhyzer shot.

Then the other issue is what do I throw for max D that I have the power to get up to speed? I think I could handle 11 speed...so a Pro Wraith maybe?

You don't need P-PD and TD in my opinion. The TD is not a "turning" driver unless it's beat or you can really bomb. It's a very straght driver that is good at anhyzers and S-curves, but it's definately not understable. Personally, I think that it fills this role better than a P-PD simply because it is much better at anhyzers and is slightly longer on straight shots. I found that the P-PD tended to drop before it would flex out, where the TD would gently flex back and glide.

I would say a Sidewinder or Valk for a turning driver would be your best compliment to the PDs that you have. You could then just bump up to somthing faster for those wide-open distance shots. A Pro Wraith is great for this, or the DC verson, the Surge.

Edit: btw, I personally think that Surge SSs are crap. I'd take a 160s ESP Surge any day.

Last edited:
The Quantum Astra by Millennium sounds like what you are looking for in terms of stability and speed. The current stock run of Q-Astras come in stardust(sparkles). The disc has a really nice even dome, not flat like Archons. It has the stability of an SL or Pro Wraith. It wants to be flipped and will lock into the line after it pops up. It finishes with slight fade and if thrown properly(not torqued) it should give you a really nice "s-flight" that finishes forward.

It also makes an excellent turnover disc if thrown on a pure anhyzer(again don't torque it).

If are looking for something a bit slower, say speed 9, then the QOLS is one of the best neutral->understable discs on the market. It is essentially a sidewinder-x(it has an extra nose spacer). It provides excellent glide and gives you basically a flight in between that of a TL and SL.

you can find both of these at Discnation.com. They just recently restocked all of their Millennium stuff including all the new stardust(glitter) models.

2nd On the Astra. Funny, I am throwing Astras and wanted something that could handle wind and found the PD.

Valkyrie or Archon (aka Millenium Astra) would be my suggestion for a turnover distance driver.

Alright, these suggestions are great, but they've kinda become one dimensional. I do want something for turnovers, but will the Astra or Valk cover a long turnovers with now fade shot without having to torque my body? I'm looking for something Speed 10 or faster that I can throw flat to slightly anyhzer, have them slowly turn and never come back...but if I put some decent hyzer, will pop flat, go for days, and then slightly fade at the end. Is this describing the Astra...or something else?

At this point, I'm thinking I might need to pair two discs with the PD instead of just one. I'm leaning toward a Sidewinder...so what I think I want to find now is Something faster and longer than both the Sidewinder and PD which is right between the two in stability...Any suggestions for this?

Alright, these suggestions are great, but they've kinda become one dimensional. I do want something for turnovers, but will the Astra or Valk cover a long turnovers with now fade shot without having to torque my body? I'm looking for something Speed 10 or faster that I can throw flat to slightly anyhzer, have them slowly turn and never come back...but if I put some decent hyzer, will pop flat, go for days, and then slightly fade at the end. Is this describing the Astra...or something else?

At this point, I'm thinking I might need to pair two discs with the PD instead of just one. I'm leaning toward a Sidewinder...so what I think I want to find now is Something faster and longer than both the Sidewinder and PD which is right between the two in stability...Any suggestions for this?

Avenger SS.

/endthread

I'm looking for something Speed 10 or faster that I can throw flat to slightly anyhzer, have them slowly turn and never come back...but if I put some decent hyzer, will pop flat, go for days, and then slightly fade at the end. Is this describing the Astra...or something else?

The Q Astra or a domey Archon (they are essentially the same disc) is probably what you're looking for. Flatter Archons seem like they're usually more understable, so beware.

The thing is, you're not going to see a drastic bump in distance by going from a speed 9 to a speed 11. It just doesn't make that much of a difference, especially in terms of useful golf D. The wider the wing of the disc, the harder it is to throw a controlled turnover shot.

Avenger SS.

/endthread
The Avenger SS is the same speed as the PD and Sidewinder, and is pretty similar to a Sidewinder once they break in.

The thing is, you're not going to see a drastic bump in distance by going from a speed 9 to a speed 11. It just doesn't make that much of a difference, especially in terms of useful golf D. The wider the wing of the disc, the harder it is to throw a controlled turnover shot.

So I'm learning...lol. As soon as I try something Speed 12+...it's an overstable disaster. I'm just now getting to where I can consistently control 9-10 speed discs...so I'm just looking for the next step in distance to start working on.

Your solution is already in your bag (River). I throw about your distance (maybe a little longer) and use my 175g GL River for the shots you're looking to cover. Some headwind causes me to switch to a different disc but otherwise I use the River to throw 300'-330' turnovers, hyzer-flips, and no-fade to late-fade anhyzers.

First run heavy Vulcans can also fit the bill here, but they are tricky to learn and pretty touchy.

Latest posts