• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best courses in DFDub

I really really really really miss the DFW Disc scene. So many choices within an hour of each other.

Don't take that for granted Dallasites!!!!!!

I lived in Mansfield/Arlington for 10 years, and I miss it every morning I have off of work!! Luckily Nac and Tyler have some nice tracks, but no where close to the amount of variety Dallas has!!!!!

took the words right out of my mouth. Lived in Lewisville and Arlington for a total of 3 years and now I'm in Nacogdoches. The best course we have is our new lake course, but its 20 min from my house and you need half a day just to drive out there and play and then drive back....so frustrating

Also ZBOAZ, can't believe I forgot that.

ZBOAZ = Fantastic course, good layout. But, too many people with too little etiquette. I am not putting everyone in this category but my experiences have kept me more away from this course than any other place. But, it is worth playing, maybe at 6 AM on a Monday!!!!

took the words right out of my mouth. Lived in Lewisville and Arlington for a total of 3 years and now I'm in Nacogdoches. The best course we have is our new lake course, but its 20 min from my house and you need half a day just to drive out there and play and then drive back....so frustrating

I am actually moving to Lufkin from Tyler at the end of August and will be spending most of my free time in Nac, gotta love the Pecan course. I played in the Pecan Park Open this year and really enjoyed the club out there. I hope to get involved out there and find some people who enjoy the game as much as I do. The courses in Nac are WAY above average for such a small area!!!

IMO for courses I am really familar with:

Veterans = Overrated
Bicentennial (Crowley) = Underrated
Turner = Top 3 in DFW!!!!!!!
Cedar Hill = Perfect if it had a little more length
Harry Meyers = Almost Great, a few design flaws keep it from being GREAT.
Lake Lewisville = Always Fun
Paschall = A true gem in Mesquite
Greenbriar = when ZBoaz is ultra crowded and you're tired of Crowley this is right in the middle and decently fun if it's not 100 degrees!!
Bear Creek = Too busy with NOOBS all the time!!
Arcadia = Fun but gimmicky
Gateway = Good course but the back 9 ruins it for 10 months out of the year
Weatherford = not talked about as much because of it being on the outskirts of town, but DEFINITELY worth the drive!!!

I am sure there are others I am forgetting but these are the ones I frequented while I lived in DFW.

All are fantastic courses but none are "WORLD CLASS CALIBER"
Zboaz?

Edit: Should have kept reading. Bicentennial may need to be just rated soon. Changes coming. Bring a Sherpa.

Last edited:
Anyone played the new course in Duncanville?

yes its a great course and the guy that designed/built the course is a great guy..its not "tournament" ready and the paths and the fairways need to be beat in(so go play it!!) but where tall socks and bring plenty of water youll need it i promise and bring a few backup discs you might lose some but all in all great course good mix of shots needed

p.s- how is veterans overrated?? its one of the best around please elaborate for me

p.s- how is veterans overrated?? its one of the best around please elaborate for me

It's just my opinion, but, Veterans is a good course. Very fun, ton of shots to execute, elevation changes and marked well. To me, the replayability factor isn't exactly there. I like the Front 9 better than the Back 9, but it seems to me they put a lot of thought into the first part of the course then just got tired and threw the end together.

Although, it can be very entertaining out there. I had a kid that was dressed up as a medieval archer, you know they do that roleplay stuff out there. Anyway, I got my XCAl stuck in a tree and was throwing rocks at it when this kid came over with this makeshift, NERF type bow and arrow. He told me he'd gain "Experience Points" if he could shoot it out of the tree. So I said sure, and sat back and enjoyed a smoke and my gatorade as I watched this incredible spectacle. Long story short, he got it and then thanked me for the opportunity, HAHA it was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Veterans is good, has a lot of mini's but it can get super ultra busy, like ZBOAZ. With a lot of immature rude golfers.

I've heard good things, there are a few places they say need a little more TLC but I heard it's as good as either of the Lorch parks!

It's not as good as Lester Lorch in Cedar Hill. Close, but not quite. There are some serious design problems at Duncanville. There are at least a couple of fairways where your best bet at scoring well is to not play the fairway. That's not good design IMO. Fun course though and I'll rate it high when I review it, but not as high as Cedar Hill.

I agree that it is probably overrated. Too many blind holes that favor the locals and some holes like 4 through 7 that have too much luck involved because of the landing areas on the "green". I've heard lots of similar sentament about the Vet from others as well.

Although, it can be very entertaining out there. I had a kid that was dressed up as a medieval archer, you know they do that roleplay stuff out there. Anyway, I got my XCAl stuck in a tree and was throwing rocks at it when this kid came over with this makeshift, NERF type bow and arrow. He told me he'd gain "Experience Points" if he could shoot it out of the tree. So I said sure, and sat back and enjoyed a smoke and my gatorade as I watched this incredible spectacle. Long story short, he got it and then thanked me for the opportunity, HAHA it was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Funny story...I would not have had near as much patience with the kid. On a side note, Nerf bow and arrow ruled when I was 10. Good times!

It's just my opinion, but, Veterans is a good course. Very fun, ton of shots to execute, elevation changes and marked well. To me, the replayability factor isn't exactly there. I like the Front 9 better than the Back 9, but it seems to me they put a lot of thought into the first part of the course then just got tired and threw the end together.

Veterans is good, has a lot of mini's but it can get super ultra busy, like ZBOAZ. With a lot of immature rude golfers.

It's not as good as Lester Lorch in Cedar Hill. Close, but not quite. There are some serious design problems at Duncanville. There are at least a couple of fairways where your best bet at scoring well is to not play the fairway. That's not good design IMO. Fun course though and I'll rate it high when I review it, but not as high as Cedar Hill.

I agree that it is probably overrated. Too many blind holes that favor the locals and some holes like 4 through 7 that have too much luck involved because of the landing areas on the "green". I've heard lots of similar sentament about the Vet from others as well.

YES
i'm glad i'm not the only one

Funny story...I would not have had near as much patience with the kid. On a side note, Nerf bow and arrow ruled when I was 10. Good times!

It really only took him about 10 trys or so. He actually got it down before I finished my cigarette. I almost threw another up there to watch it all over again!!! I wanted him to get his buddy with the NERF spear to go at it too!!!!

Oh and YES nerf bow and arrow ruled, but now they have NERF Tommy Guns and Bazookas and crazy sh*t like that! Man we were deprived with our weak bow and arrow and swords.

Last edited:

so what could make the back 9 better??

Not sure: #10 is a fun, elevation changing, hyzer shot.
#11 would be better if it had a mando or if my friends would stop thumbing over the trees.
#12 and #13 are kind of just long and boring but the wind does always play a part.
#14 is fun if you can throw past the gap or hyzer spike over the trees.
#15 would be way more challenging if they left the basket in the right side position.
#16 and #17 are great holes that force you to develop your mid and long turn over shot.
#18 is a challenging uphill shot that requires you to be able to throw straight. While the other two positions are more challenging, I'm not a huge fan of them.

I'm no course designer, and Meister is right, it is what it is.

I just feel it get's a little boring on the back side, and that long hole (No. 12 I believe?), throwing that into the wind over and over and over and over is annoying and frustrating. From hole 12 on there is a lot of area that is unutilized and I feel could be redesigned much better.

Again though, don't get me wrong, I like Veteran's but I don't like it half as much as all my friends who say, "Let's go to Veteran's" every time we used to go play. I'd rather play Turner or drive out to Weatherford anyday!!!!

Have any of you played Greenbriar???? I used to go here almost every afternoon around 7 or 730. It's very short and can get a little monotinous, but there is never anyone here and you can get a round in in 1 hour with a couple of efficient players. The course is well maintained and has a few neat little shots.

@CTRobuck:

Will you please name all of the, in your opinion, "world class" courses within driving distance of DFW (daytrip or weekend)? I'd like to expand my horizons.

I'll be visiting the DFW area soon, what are the top 3 courses that I should go to first?

any suggestions?
I'm a big fan of technical courses that challenge distance with precision. Case-in-point-- Wilco in Leander is one of my favorite courses that I have played so far.