• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

best courses to and from flip city june 2019

wolfhaley

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I'm looking forward to finally be able to play Flip City and bag some courses in Michigan. I'm just curious about what the best courses in SW MI to play are. Flip is a must obviously. I was thinking Roger's Lakewood, Purdue Northwest, and Shore Acres on my way up to Muskegon. Flip twice the next day then Henderson Lake as well. Then Barnstrom park, Holton, Whitehall, and Nestrom on day 3. I think these are pretty solid looking. I'll be heading from Muskegon to battle creek the next day. Looking for the best ones around Battle creek and/or grand rapids. Was thinking Riverside park, Highland park, Calvary dgc, and Robert Morris. Then from battle creek to Joliet IL was going to do Leila Arboretum, The Mammoth, and Begg park. Want to play the Canyons before I head home. If this is too much or any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You can skip Highland. The flow is terrible, walking backwards rather than forwards, so to speak, on a couple of holes. A portion of the back nine plays up in a wooded area on a hill & is treacherous footing in a few places.
If you're in GR, the best courses to play are Johnson, Brewer, Riverside, Jaycee & (if it's dry) Grand Isle.
All the courses you mention on the lakeshore are very good choices.
Down south Kalamazoo way, Coldbrook & Oshtemo are also possibilities.

Skip Purdue NW. Nice course but I think you can do better than that for a roady like this. Personally, I would rather play Johnson Park in GR rather than Riverside. I'm sure there are some that would disagree with me but Johnson is a ton of fun.

Also, if it were me since you're in the area - kinda - I would spend time on the Ludington courses like Beauty, Beast, etc and maybe sacrifice some time on the Battle Creek/K-Zoo area. In Kalamazoo if you can play it on a weekday Oshtemo is a good option as well otherwise on weekends it becomes hucker he11. South of K-Zoo is the Meyer-Broadway complex of 2 courses you ought to consider and also don't forget Vicksburg as an OK option as well. I've never played Liela but that's another course I would skip because from everything I've heard it sounds like it was designed by a sadist. But that's just me...

Don't have a date set yet but we are planning on a tournament at Lake Township sometime in June if you are at all interested.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't see a Grand Isle but would that maybe be Grand rapids rotary north? If not I'm thinking Johnson and Brewer on my way to Battle Creek. Also, I think Vicksburg and the Meyer Broadway combo would work nice from Battle creek to Joliet. I didn't even look that far south but I'm probably gonna go that route. As far as The Ludington area courses, I've had my eye on these for a couple years now. They're not going to be this trip but since I live dead center WI I was thinking taking the ferry from Manitowac next year for those. They seem very enticing for sure. And as far as skipping Purdue NW maybe River Park or Sand Ridge would be better options. Leaning toward River Park. Both are on route.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't see a Grand Isle but would that maybe be Grand rapids rotary north? If not I'm thinking Johnson and Brewer on my way to Battle Creek. Also, I think Vicksburg and the Meyer Broadway combo would work nice from Battle creek to Joliet. I didn't even look that far south but I'm probably gonna go that route. As far as The Ludington area courses, I've had my eye on these for a couple years now. They're not going to be this trip but since I live dead center WI I was thinking taking the ferry from Manitowac next year for those. They seem very enticing for sure. And as far as skipping Purdue NW maybe River Park or Sand Ridge would be better options. Leaning toward River Park. Both are on route.

A word of caution about River since I play there frequently: Any time in summer the bugs can be outrageous. I realize that bugs can be bad at every course in the midwest but River can be exceptional. Also, there are no tees there yet. The Township has the cash to install tees but just hasn't taken the time to do so yet and they might be in by June - but don't hold your breath. I try to update the course conditions often when I remember to do so. Feel free to PM me here before making your trip.

Lake Township is another course I play frequently. We are holding leagues there on Sunday evenings so I'll definitely be up to speed on that course in case you want any info on it. Just take any glowing remarks I make about it with a grain of salt because I am admittedly a course homer for that place haha.

Oh and we have quite a concentration of breweries in the area if you're into that sort of thing...Journeyman, Greenbush, Watermark, The Livery, Archlight Brewery, Haymarket Tap Room, Silver Harbor, Lakeshore Brewery...:thmbup:

-Dave

It's been a few years since I played them but Roger's Lakewood and Shore Acres very good courses. Skip Purdue NW, I got bored there.

I'm looking forward to finally be able to play Flip City and bag some courses in Michigan. I'm just curious about what the best courses in SW MI to play are. Flip is a must obviously. I was thinking Roger's Lakewood, Purdue Northwest, and Shore Acres on my way up to Muskegon. Flip twice the next day then Henderson Lake as well. Then Barnstrom park, Holton, Whitehall, and Nestrom on day 3. I think these are pretty solid looking. I'll be heading from Muskegon to battle creek the next day. Looking for the best ones around Battle creek and/or grand rapids. Was thinking Riverside park, Highland park, Calvary dgc, and Robert Morris. Then from battle creek to Joliet IL was going to do Leila Arboretum, The Mammoth, and Begg park. Want to play the Canyons before I head home. If this is too much or any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Couple items to hit on from your post.

* I found The Canyons to be a lot of fun, definitely print out a map or have it saved on your phone as there a couple spots that have decent walks so best to save time & energy and have an idea where you should go.

* DGCR VIP plug, you can pony up some cash for a year membership to VIP and get access to the "Road Trip" feature which is a personal favorite. Plug in to/from and how many miles from your route you want to venture and it will populate it with courses. You can then whittle that down with various criteria (# reviews, course rating, # holes, etc...) I do a yearly DG road trip and use this feature a lot.

* Scary stories about Leila get around I guess, saw Dave posted about it too, have yet to play but I hear it is long, rough and tons of blind shots which can make for a bad experience. Need to go play it once myself at least to say I did, but some of the better players I play with have told stories about how brutal it can be.

* Enjoyed the Meyer Broadway courses, two on site, a few years back when I played them. A place I would like to venture back to myself sometime soon.

Thanks again guys for all the great intel. I'm thinking from Muskegon to battle creek I'm now going with Johnson, Earl Brewer, Calvary (a dumb 9 hole on route because I gotta bag them all) and the Robert Morris. By the way is this course good, great, just ok. kind of curious. Then from BC to Joliet I'm thinking Cold Brook and/or Vicksburg and then For sure the Meyer Broadway courses. If I had to pick cold brook or Vicksburg though, What do you guys think? Once again I really appreciate the great insight from some hardcore locals. Trying to get to 400 this year! I don't know if I can but this is where it starts, MI.

Thanks again guys for all the great intel. I'm thinking from Muskegon to battle creek I'm now going with Johnson, Earl Brewer, Calvary (a dumb 9 hole on route because I gotta bag them all) and the Robert Morris. By the way is this course good, great, just ok. kind of curious. Then from BC to Joliet I'm thinking Cold Brook and/or Vicksburg and then For sure the Meyer Broadway courses. If I had to pick cold brook or Vicksburg though, What do you guys think? Once again I really appreciate the great insight from some hardcore locals. Trying to get to 400 this year! I don't know if I can but this is where it starts, MI.

Robert Morris, aka RoMo, is a very fun course that is usually well maintained. Lots of elevation changes with a good mix of open and some wooded holes. Think it is $5 per car for park entry. One of the better ones in the Kzoo/BC area IMO.

Cold Brook vs Vicksburg, tough call, may depend on much you like trees or how much you love trees. Cold Brook has that old course feel, well worn fairways and quite a few short, technical holes you have to hit your line on. CB is usually 24 holes but in the summer they tend to close off #19-22 for other park activities. Vicksburg is longer and not quite as technical, but may be more challenging with longer holes and some tough basket placements. Do get a few big holes to air stuff out. Really cant go wrong either way so maybe whichever one works best route wise.

All of the Kzoo area courses that have been discussed are great courses and all feel a bit different. Meyer Broadway is easily my favorite and Vicksburg would be my 2nd. One feature that hasn't been discussed about Vicksburg tho, is how much water comes into play. 2 holes play directly over a pond and bad shots on numerous holes could be lost in the drink. I still love playing Vicksburg and the water hazards are not at all punishing but if you prefer your DG without water it is something to consider.

Well they both sound good so I'm probably just going to play both Cold Brook and Vicksburg. They're both close enough to my route so why not? I appreciate all the good insight and can't wait to play some great courses in MI. I'm thinking of hitting the Ludington courses next year too! Thanks again everybody.

If you have time - yeah nothing wrong with hitting both. You better post pictures daggumit. And by the way we are having a Am B-tier at Lake Township on 6/1/19 FYI in case you are interested. But if not, have a great time anyways!

Shore Acres will be awesome in June. Expect morning and evening temps to dip into the 50s if you're in early June. The local town has a bunch of nice places to eat and drink at.

Highly advise to take the short hike through the woods to lake Michigan, beautiful sand dunes, while you're at Shore Acres park

Was free to play last time I was there

Being from Chicago's south side, I highly suggest you play Canyons in Lockport. I regularly make the 50min drive to go play while passing several good courses along the way. You should also consider Highland park and West park in Joliet if time and energy allow (I prefer HP over West, but both are very solid and have several memorable holes apiece).

I agree with an above poster that you should spend time in the Ludington, MI area and play any combo of the Mason County (Beauty, Beast, Goliath) courses or Leviathan. They are all worth a play and you won't be disappointed with any combo of the 4. Some cool views of Lake Michigan over huge rolling hills from the Mason county trifecta.

As far as the Joliet area. I was planning on the canyons for sure since I missed it last year. Then also West park. That'll be all I'll have time to play before heading. If my arm hasn't fallen off by then after all the other courses.

Latest posts