• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best disc golf city in the country?

Another thing to consider is that Charlotte overshadows other parts of NC. One area that gets overlooked is the Appalachian area in NE Tennessee/NW NC. Look what's in a 35 mile radius of the border.

Bear Tree 4.67
Harmon Hills 4.67
Sugaree 4.54
Elk Mtn 4.19
Ashe County 4.52
Warriors Path 3.95

RDU is pretty solid as well and yet overlooked.

On the opposite side, I wonder where the least served area is, especially for private courses, with a city around 100k nearby.

That's another thread, but it's Laredo, TX.

I'm surprised that the St. Louis metro area hasn't been mentioned yet.

There is certainly a strong club there, but they are way behind in the number of courses built for a city of that size.

It may be possible that having the club build and maintain all the courses limits the number of courses that are built. Or, maybe none would have been built without the club. Either way, a club just doesn't have the resources of several municipalities.

Charlotte/Rockhill/Pineville/york

What course is in Pineville?

If you're counting surrounding areas, you have to count Gastonia (Rankin/Bradley) and Moorseville (Stumpy). But I think Charlotte does ok on its own.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is that Charlotte overshadows other parts of NC. One area that gets overlooked is the Appalachian area in NE Tennessee/NW NC. Look what's in a 35 mile radius of the border.

Bear Tree 4.67
Harmon Hills 4.67
Sugaree 4.54
Elk Mtn 4.19
Ashe County 4.52
Warriors Path 3.95

RDU is pretty solid as well and yet overlooked.

Wow. Though it would be hard to call that area a "city".

Which, to me, is a bonus. Just got back from Ashe County. Great place to visit but, if you lived there, anywhere else you traveled to would be a letdown.

Wow. Though it would be hard to call that area a "city".

Which, to me, is a bonus. Just got back from Ashe County. Great place to visit but, if you lived there, anywhere else you traveled to would be a letdown.

yeah it's not a city but that area is about the size of a metropolitan area. it just takes a lot longer to get places because it's so up in the mountains.

i still haven't played Ashe and I'm really looking forward to getting up there and seeing it when my back feels better.

^^^ can you do that for a courses that meet certain criteria? like say only courses above 3.5 or only courses with 18+ holes?

^^^ can you do that for a courses that meet certain criteria? like say only courses above 3.5 or only courses with 18+ holes?

I could, if I was convinced that players find zero value (never play) anything other than 18+ hole courses, or courses that are rated 3.5 or higher.

Anyway, it wouldn't change things much. Courses are already weighted according to number of holes, and that is strongly correlated with Rating, which went back into determining how much to weight courses by holes.

Also, across the 30 or 40 nearby courses in a heavily serviced area the ratings tend to average out.

Thread title says "Best disc golf city in the country." For me, that means,

- Great/signature courses to play
- A very active, large, and hopping DG player scene
- Great leagues and tournaments to participate in
- A great VARIETY of courses to play, which suit all levels of skill/ability
- A great local group/association serving as "stewards" and "missionaries" for the sport
- A great collection of retail sales outlets for equipment

I can't speak for areas such as Charlotte, Austin, or other cities that have been mentioned. But when factoring in all of the above? If any of the other cities out there are better than Minneapolis Saint Paul, then I tip my hat to you. As MSP kicks ### on just about every one of those points I listed.

6-7 highly-rated courses? Nice. But does that make a city the "best" for disc golf? Hardly. IMHO.

Pretty familiar with some of the cites that have been mentioned:
Columbus: sorry, but no
Ann Arbor: not bad, but no
Cincy: I think Metro Detrot gives Cincy a run
Charlotte: FTW.
A few world class courses like Renny, Hornet's Nest/Charlotte's Web, Nevin.
Solid courses like Kilborne, Sugaw, Elon Park x 2, Eastway, Bradford
Beginner courses like Bailey
Private courses that are wonderful.

Throw in the fact that Rock Hill,SC, is only 20 miles or so away, with Winthrop and Boyd Hill. ...all in a pretty compact area, that doesn't require you to drive more than 30 min or so from the city.

If you extend out to say a 60 min drive, that really brings quite a few more courses into play.
I'd say it'd be hard to find a city that has as many quality courses within an hour drive of it as Charlotte.

Last edited:
dismal cities for discing...

Just browse the map for courses near Miami (even if you count Ft. Lauderdale, there aren't many) and New Orleans... virtual disc golf deserts for cities with enough population to support major sports franchises.

Pretty familiar with some of the cites that have been mentioned:
Columbus: sorry, but no
Ann Arbor: not bad, but no
Cincy: I think Metro Detrot gives Cincy a run
Charlotte: FTW.
A few world class courses like Renny, Hornet's Nest/Charlotte's Web, Nevin.
Solid courses like Kilborne, Sugaw, Elon Park x 2, Eastway, Bradford
Beginner courses like Bailey
Private courses that are wonderful.

Throw in the fact that Rock Hill,SC, is only 20 miles or so away, with Winthrop and Boyd Hill. ...all in a pretty compact area, that doesn't require you to drive more than 30 min or so from the city.

If you extend out to say a 60 min drive, that really brings quite a few more courses into play.
I'd say it'd be hard to find a city that has as many quality courses within an hour drive of it as Charlotte.
I'm surprised Pittsburgh isn't on your list.

Latest posts