• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Disc Golf Shoes?

BrunsChad

I'm in the market for some new shoes and I was just wondering what people on here use and what seems to work. The only things that I need are and good toe cap and waterproof lining. After that, I'm sure every company makes shoes that have good grip and are comfortable. I know the Milo II's are good, but I've been looking at the Keen Tyron's and they seem like they may work as well. Just wanted a little insight before I made a purchase that I'm going to have to deal with for a while!

http://www.obozfootwear.com/site/oboz-mens-firebrand-ii.html?id=HoRCNQEh:64.123.235.244

M%20Oboz%20Firebrand.jpg

Teva Rivas. Absurdly comfortable and built like tanks, especially at the toe. The eVents are truly water-proof and breath well enough for me to wear them all day at work. I've been abusing mine on mountain courses for months and there's not a hint of sole separation or any other issue, they're still like new.

And not everything out there is comfortable, many of the Merrells I tried on actually hurt my feet. I'd highly recommend trying before you buy.

yeah my merrells hurt my feet for about a week before the fancy insole broke in. after that they felt great...until the sole separated from the body...TWICE.

thank FSM for REIs return policy!

so i dropped the merrells and went with the vasque breeze. nice and sturdy hiking boot that is reinforced on the toe and lots of gore-tex to keep ma tootsies warm/cool and dry. aggressive vibram sole. been going strong for three months and i dont have a single bad thing to say about them.

emiller3 said:
And not everything out there is comfortable, many of the Merrells I tried on actually hurt my feet. I'd highly recommend trying before you buy.

agreed. not impressed with any merrells.

I have noticed half of the top pros wear stuff that I wouldn't consider disc golf shoes like some basketball shoes or some other goofy high top shoe. I have always got salomons.

I should add that I have Salomon XT Wings as well for when I play on grippy teepads. Although my Salomons had sole separation within a couple months of fairly light use.

Unfortunately my home course is now a mix of loose dirt teepads and some new cement pads they just put in that are really rough and grippy. I just have to be extra sure to stay on the balls of my feet when wearing my Tevas on those rough cement pads. Smooth cement pads haven't been a problem for either shoe.

rusch_bag said:
I have noticed half of the top pros wear stuff that I wouldn't consider disc golf shoes like some basketball shoes or some other goofy high top shoe. I have always got salomons.

Yea, I've seen Double G use huge Basketball shoes and Nikko has been using what looks like Nike Turf Baseball shoes.

I still would like to get something that's waterproof with a solid toe cap. I'm pretty smooth when it comes to my shoes as my current ones I've had for a year and the traction is still good, no sole separation, just the toe cap is seriously ripping. They are North Face Hedgehogs and I loved them, minus the toe cap not being able to hold up to the wear and tear of DG.

I've always gone back to the Salomons, not the trail running variety but the low top hiking shoes, I think the Aero or Exit is their current one.

Tried the Oboz and they killed my feet, then I noticed the whole top of each shoe had shifted to towards the inside of the sole jamming the inside of my foot over, tread wore down in a month also as well as some separation issues. They may work for some but I was pretty displeased and uncomfortable in them.

Most of the local pros in these parts wear Keen Milo. Many of them are sponsored by Keen. Keen gives a lot of donations to the local disc golf scene for course upkeep, etc., so they're quite popular among disc golfers in California.

Also, Keen will soon be releasing another disc golf model shoe, called the DeLaveaga. They're suppose to become available at 2011 Pro Worlds, so I can tell you all about them after 13 August. I haven't heard much else, but if you're in the market and can wait another month or so, then maybe it is worthwhile...

Haven't tried out anything that's as comfortable, quick to put on and take off, rugged and supportive as my Merrel Chameleon Stretch 3's, but I keep my eyes open. My Keen Jaspers didn't wear anywhere nearly as slow, and flat soled skate shoes aren't as comfy to me as they were.

Lowa boots are unmatched in comfort and durability for me and ive been through just about everything

A big thing to consider too is foot width, Merrels and Keens do well for people with feet on the wide side, Salomons are good for narrow feet. Someone posted here that they had narrow feet and good success with Adidas too.

mshelton said:
A big thing to consider too is foot width, Merrels and Keens do well for people with feet on the wide side, Salomons are good for narrow feet. Someone posted here that they had narrow feet and good success with Adidas too.

Terrific point! I have wide feet myself and I absolutely LOVE my Merrels for everyday/every situation use. As far as heavy disc golf use goes, I can see some of these other types of shoes look to have a heavier toe than my merrels, so I can see they might be better. I would love to find something like those oboz shoes that come in wide versions if anybody knows of anything!

Lowa and Aslo might make something like that but I've heard from a guy at the store that Aslos are more on the narrow side but that may have been a sales pitch.

You guys may already know about the site but if you know the brand/s and size you are looking for, then there are some nice deals to be had at www.sierratradingpost.com

Asolo's run VERY narrow. I own 3 pair and they're all Wides, even then they still feel tight.

I wont spend a dime on Merrell anymore. after being a customer for well over 5yrs i have found the last 3 pairs of shoes to be absolute garbage in construction. My first pair of merrells nearly lasted 3yrs before anything significant failed. I naturally bought a couple pairs of the same shoe (my urge for backups has spilled into multiple parts of my life) last year. In that time I am on the second pair already. The first lasted about 8months and the currents are already breaking down at 3 months old. the thing that makes me most disappionted was the insoles. they used to come with the best insoles on the market. those thin ones that molded to your feet. now its a piece of crappy foam that holds moisture and tears apart. f-ing garbage.
Keens are well constructed and alot of people love them. I personally found them very uncomfortable from the start and never was able to beat them inot comfortable.
Oboz....the one pair i tried, Sawtooth, was a POS after about 1month of actually wearing them. I bought them for a trip in the SW. they were awesome bouldering shoes and had great contact on stone (concret as well). Unfortunately, the toe cap(?) caved in on one shoe, the other side caved in a few months later, and the tread vanished really really fast. the made my knees and hips hurt after about 4months of near everyday wear.
North Face and Salamon are narrow for me so ive never worn them. but i have several friends with both. they love them and they seem to last a long time (one friend has had his North Face for 4yrs and they look near brand new).
If your looking for cheap several friends wear Hi-Tec's. but they dont make them big enough for me.

Smyith said:
I wont spend a dime on Merrell anymore. after being a customer for well over 5yrs i have found the last 3 pairs of shoes to be absolute garbage in construction. My first pair of merrells nearly lasted 3yrs before anything significant failed. I naturally bought a couple pairs of the same shoe (my urge for backups has spilled into multiple parts of my life) last year. In that time I am on the second pair already. The first lasted about 8months and the currents are already breaking down at 3 months old. the thing that makes me most disappionted was the insoles. they used to come with the best insoles on the market. those thin ones that molded to your feet. now its a piece of crappy foam that holds moisture and tears apart. f-ing garbage.
Keens are well constructed and alot of people love them. I personally found them very uncomfortable from the start and never was able to beat them inot comfortable.
Oboz....the one pair i tried, Sawtooth, was a POS after about 1month of actually wearing them. I bought them for a trip in the SW. they were awesome bouldering shoes and had great contact on stone (concret as well). Unfortunately, the toe cap(?) caved in on one shoe, the other side caved in a few months later, and the tread vanished really really fast. the made my knees and hips hurt after about 4months of near everyday wear.
North Face and Salamon are narrow for me so ive never worn them. but i have several friends with both. they love them and they seem to last a long time (one friend has had his North Face for 4yrs and they look near brand new).
If your looking for cheap several friends wear Hi-Tec's. but they dont make them big enough for me.

You sound like a perfect candidate for the Teva Riva's. Give them a try man, emiller and I love ours.

Chalk another vote up to the Riva's. I've used mine fairly heavily the last 8-9 months, and have nothing bad to say. Agree with all the previous posts about how good they are, and I"ll add the following:

A. When you try out the Riva's, you'll notice they're already broken in. This was the huge draw away from the Chameleon 3's when I was choosing. I just don't want to spend weeks wearing something very uncomfortable so that hopefully it will be comfortable someday.
B. I researched Keen last November, and while I was originally excited about them (as much as they were advertised during the USDGC event), that went away when I found a lot of poor reviews (on this site and others) about the construction and durability of the shoe. Basically, while the shoes were nice, they weren't made to stand up to continued planting while throwing. It's been over 9 months since I researched that, so they very well may have fixed that problem.

Edit: I found my post about the Merrell's from last year, and someone did mention it only took them a week of casual wear to break them in. So keep that in mind when reading my point A above.

Latest posts