• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] best discs for tomahawk/thumber

diggs79

just curious if anyone had any reccomendations for tomahawks. just got an epic and an avenger. both are incredible, but i would still like to know if any vets out there have more suggestions.

I've never tried tomahawking my epic, I should give that a go since I'm certainly not fond of it as a driver.

the epic thrown as a thumber is as the names says. to describe the flight is like trying to explain the trajectory of a car that flips off a bridge at a high speed, but ill try.

it comes off your hand at an extremely high speed and begins a quick barrel roll, causing it to careen right at first (in direct opposition to every other thumber you will throw in your life), and then the oddest thing happens-it turns flat and glides as if you had throw it classically. at this point, it glides to the left (more or less so depending on how you tune it in) for a great distance.

people report 35-550 foot drives.

the key is a high release, as it must barrel roll and have enough elevation to glide out at it's high speed. so with good snap and speed, and a high release point, you will gain huge distance.

That sounds interesting.. interesting enough that I may have to pull the epic out and give this a shot. Thanks for the info! :)

try a monster, firebird or a (pulse by discraft). Any super overstable disc will do. I throw a thumber and a forehand quite often and think the pulse is the most predictable.

the best disc i have used for the overhand is the predator or the reaper. i have also heard that the venom is good too. they are all very overstable and made by discraft. i have not found any innova disc that is better than any of these or any other disc makers for that matter.

in general, the more overstable and the more spin, the better.

agree completely with diggs79 description of an epics tomohawk flight patter. that disc is a worthless P.O.S. for anything other than a tomohawk, and for that, it has shown some promise. personally don't own one and wouldnt buy one but have seen it thrown overhand many many times and for some reason, it works.

for just about everything else however,completely unreliable disc , imo.

I can't agree more regarding the Epic. I bought one when it first came out just to give it a try for fun. Well, fun never really came into the equation when trying to throw that disc the traditional way. I haven't had a chance to try and tomahawk it yet.. I'll have to put it in my bag so I don't forget it exists (or maybe it's better that I do forget! :)).

i abhor the the tomahawk, but my bro throws it all the time. he prefers really beat up DX fairway drivers such as a leopard, cheetah, or even a gazelle. the crappier the disc, the better. you may not get max distance from such a disc, but he can drop them w/in 10 feet of the cage inside 270 ft with regularity.

I use the 100 Meter Lazer for tomahawks because it sits nicely instead of rolling and skittering off to the side. Understable discs seem better for tomahawks to me.

There are many discs that make good thumber/tomahawk discs.

Some of those are:
Aerobie Epic

Firebird
Max
Monster

Flick
Pred
Reaper

Spirit

Most overstable discs work well.

thumber

I throw a champion eagle and it works great. If I aim it at the basket, it usually goes straight for it.

I used to use a Lazer but after a while it started fading badly. That was all I used it for. I never thought about tomahawk discs getting beat-in and that affecting their flight but I guess it happens.

Just bought an Epic a few weeks ago as a thumber disc, and had good results.

It takes a little bit of tuning/hard impacts to figure it out, but it will go. It flies differently than other discs i used to use for the thumber. In the past, the disc (an ESP crush if you must know) would flip upside down and slide 20ft further once it landed.

The epic does nto do this. It seems to hold the angle of release in the air longer (ie. sideways), and flies straight up (higher than others), when it starts to barrel roll, it will end up sideways, so it knifes straight down to the ground, and doesnt slide upside down like other discs do upon landing

Even without the extra skip, still the longest tomahawk disc I've ever thrown. Weird and different, but good. Its the only thumber disc I use anymore, only problem ive had is overshooting!

Just bought an Epic a few weeks ago as a thumber disc, and had good results.

It takes a little bit of tuning/hard impacts to figure it out, but it will go. It flies differently than other discs i used to use for the thumber. In the past, the disc (an ESP crush if you must know) would flip upside down and slide 20ft further once it landed.

The epic does nto do this. It seems to hold the angle of release in the air longer (ie. sideways), and flies straight up (higher than others), when it starts to barrel roll, it will end up sideways, so it knifes straight down to the ground, and doesnt slide upside down like other discs do upon landing

Even without the extra skip, still the longest tomahawk disc I've ever thrown. Weird and different, but good. Its the only thumber disc I use anymore, only problem ive had is overshooting!

I used to keep epics around. It just seems like the plastic doesn't hold up, too gummy. I like the hawk distance, in WYoming there's not much need for hawk, and distance.

That may be, and there are def courses I play that i rarely use tomahawk on, but I like to try new courses (see my reviews) whenever I can, so I never know if i'll need it or not. Likewise for you when you venture out of WY for a vacation.

I agree on the gummyness. My epic did seem to get dings and scratches fairly often. however, it didnt really seem to affect its flight pattern. Who knows maybe an extremely beat up Epic might decrease its overstability enough to consider throwing it some way besides tomahawk = O !!!!!
But probably not.

When you carried them, how did you tune your Epics to maximize their thumber distance? Did bending the lip up or down seem to be the best? I played with mine, but still havent figured it out

I bought an Innova Champion Monarch Distance Driver and can't throw it very well, so I use it for tomahawks. When thrown tomahawk-style it flies much like Diggs79's description above - cuts to the right, flips over, glides upside down, and usually slides or skips for extra distance. weird. It also works great as a roller.

I don't throw tomahawks, but I do throw thumbers. I have a 172g candy TL, that I use exclusively just for thumbers. For me it's very predictable, but really it's the only driver that I've used for thumbers. If I'm at closer range and just need something over the top of trees/bushes, or have just a tight gap that I've got no other shot, I use my pig.

If you have a very powerful overhand shot, the Z Xtreme is about as good as it get's. If you don't have that strong of an overhand shot, it won't work.

The Z Xtreme is the most overstable disc on the market, thus it resists turn better than anything else out there, with the right arm, it will go VERY far for thumber/tomahawk.

I am curious if anyone throws overhand and has the disc flatten out into an actual flight, or if you guys just get the loop-de-loop that I usually see people get when they overhand.

Would be cool to see an overhand that converts into a flat flight.

Latest posts