• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best driver to achieve long s-turns

Upon trying to put together a winter bag I tried out a few molds this winter. Mostly due to the fact that if a particular mold wasn't offered in a cold weather plastic I would try to find an equivalent switching brands if need be.

Well during a stable fairway driver shootout I discovered the hatchet mold. Technically more in the us category though. The hatchet has a tremendous amount of glide-very impressed with this mold.

If I was an intermediate I would be trying out the hatchet in a variety of plastics and weights. This disc is very underrated for noob arms.

Throw slower plastic.

A fresh out of the box JLS is the right disc. Or an Eagle L or X, although if you choose an EX would need to be lighter or seasoned.

Star Archon. love love love my Archons. They have a great S curve to them and they glide and glide and glide some more.

wow. you guys are awesome. thanks for all the replies. the sidewinder I've been throwing is a worn 166 in champ plastic. sometimes I can get it to fade at the end, but sometimes it just won't come back. I made the mistake of buying an ape and vulcan, which are too overstable for what I'm going for... naively thought that higher speed would mean more distance. then I got a max weight champ wraith, but that's super overstable too. I just want something that's gonna stay airborn for the longest possible time and end up relatively straight in the end. my hometown course (golden gate park in San Francisco) just has several holes that call for a long s-turn for rhbh.

I'm pretty sure that in the dictionary under S-Turn there is a picture of a Pro Valkyrie ;)

for what its worth....

Westside Northman in Tournament Plastic 175 g,

Westside Hatchet works well also, I usually go a little lighter on the slower speed discs. 165 to 170

Give the Star Mamba a try as well. 175 g

The Gold Line Fury is great, but it'll eventually season in and lose some (or all) of its fade back. So I'm working on getting my GL Saint into a sweet spot for these shots.

noob question....so some of you guys are saying to throw a slower disc. but if i'm turning over the sidewinder so much that it won't fade, doesn't that mean i should throw a faster disc? or is it just because it's finally worn in, and a new sidewinder would probably come back for me...?

^Could be either one. Try a Champ Tern and see if your arm can handle it. Start around 167g. If you can't get the Turn out of it, try a Star Tern or a star lite Tern.

Last edited:
Well I was gonna say Sidewinder, but you don't feel the same as me apparently lol

if i'm turning over the sidewinder so much that it won't fade, doesn't that mean i should throw a faster disc?

not necessarily faster disc but a more stable/over stable disc. A slightly heavier one would
fade more too. I think Sidewinders are great.

Star Tern flat and hard is a great choice IMO. Go for lower weights if it isn't turning over enough for you. Maybe go Champion plastic if it flips too easy for you.

The Tern has a lot of turn at high speed and a lot of low speed fade, so it comes back nicely in a wide range of power levels, at least for me.

The faster the disc the more snap it takes in the release get a stable flight. If you throw a sidewinder and it doesn't come back at the end of the flight you're either releasing it at a bad angle, too low and or not snapping the disc hard enough. If you throw a slower speed disc, especially a slightly more stable one, you don't have to put as much snap in your throw to insure it fades at the end of the flight and if you throw with the same relative amount of force as a faster speed disc it's going to turn over more or fly more stable longer giving you that S-curve you were fighting for using a higher speed disc.

noob question....so some of you guys are saying to throw a slower disc. but if i'm turning over the sidewinder so much that it won't fade, doesn't that mean i should throw a faster disc? or is it just because it's finally worn in, and a new sidewinder would probably come back for me...?

The faster the disc the more snap it takes in the release get a stable flight. If you throw a sidewinder and it doesn't come back at the end of the flight you're either releasing it at a bad angle, too low and or not snapping the disc hard enough. If you throw a slower speed disc, especially a slightly more stable one, you don't have to put as much snap in your throw to insure it fades at the end of the flight and if you throw with the same relative amount of force as a faster speed disc it's going to turn over more or fly more stable longer giving you that S-curve you were fighting for using a higher speed disc.

If you throw a sidewinder and it doesn't come back at the end of the flight you're either releasing it at a bad angle, too low and or not snapping the disc hard enough.

Everything you said makes sense except this. He said he was turning it over. So, yes, form could be an issue but too much power and snap could be as well. He wants a long range S-Curve disc. The -3 HSS and the 1 fade of a Sidewinder and too strong of an arm are probably causing his issues. It's flying as it should or too fast and is ending right or flipping over. He needs a faster disc with more fade. I personally turn Sidewinders over often. I need to disc up to fix that. Or throw with less power. But, again, why would I go less power if I am looking for long range.

Good question. How long have you been throwing your current SW? If you like the SW, definitely get a new one and see if that fixes it. You can start a cycle of them.

"If you throw a sidewinder and it doesn't come back at the end of the flight you're either releasing it at a bad angle, too low and or not snapping the disc hard enough."

I wouldn't agree with that.

A well thrown sidewinder with a lot of speed, snap and thrown perfectly flat will turn over and never come back very much in my experience. Because it is very understable, and doesn't fade a lot, even at low speeds. A Tern is designed to have an S curve shape. It has a lot of Turn and a lot of fade. Other discs aren't, like a Destroyer. You really need to force them over with anhyzer to get that shape. Depending on the wear and your power, a Destroyer might turn over a little if you throw it flat, but it is mostly just straight to fade kind of flight.

The flight path profiles from the manufacturers might help you make this choice. But it really comes down to throwing them and finding out what works for you. Check the flight paths out here:

Sidewinder:

http://www.innovadiscs.com/disc/sidewinder/

Tern:

http://www.innovadiscs.com/disc/tern/

Destroyer:

http://www.innovadiscs.com/disc/destroyer/

Last edited:

Latest posts