• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best FW tree protection for DG courses?

Highway Bill

Par Member
Was wondering if anybody can shed some light on the most effective forms of fairway tree protection for DG courses. I've seen many different materials used but from pictures, it's hard to tell exactly what is being used and how effective it is.

On our construction sites they make us wrap the trees with 2x4s. I don't think you could leave them there permanently and they would be highly expensive for a whole course.

A course local to me has what looks like strips of flypads about 6" wide. Seems to work pretty well and cuts down on random kicks.

I see a lot of that black corrugated polyethylene piping (or something extremely close to it) on local courses. Seems to do the trick, and if cut into sections can protect the tree even after it's grown by quite a bit (albeit by readjusting the wrapping).

^ Some local courses have used corrugated PVC pipe... looks pretty lousy but I think it's fairly cheap and easy to install.

1983800e-a2d1-4365-a2a0-e6587b203cbc_400.jpg

I've also see chain link fencing wrapped around tree trunks :\

The corrugated PVC pipe is usually not recommended because it protects the insects on the bark from being snapped up by birds. A mesh material wrap is better. More trees are damaged by soil compaction than getting hit by discs even though some trees look really gnarly after several years of getting struck. Regular additions of wood chips on the fairways can help reduce compaction.

The corrugated PVC pipe is usually not recommended because it protects the insects on the bark from being snapped up by birds. A mesh material wrap is better.

Ah! Very good to know! :thmbup:

The corrugated PVC pipe is usually not recommended because it protects the insects on the bark from being snapped up by birds. A mesh material wrap is better. More trees are damaged by soil compaction than getting hit by discs even though some trees look really gnarly after several years of getting struck. Regular additions of wood chips on the fairways can help reduce compaction.

^ in the HOF for a reason :thmbup:

1 penalty stroke for hitting trees.
I'd be sooooooo screwed. :(

Love to hear more suggestions, see specs, pics of tree protection in use.

My search skills have failed me. Any good documents out there?

We installed some of that black corrugated PVC tubing to protect a few trees that are right by the tee-box. Let me tell you, they work. You'll hear it when they do

harr0140 is in the landscaping business, and very interested in making course design environmentally sound. You might track him down and ask his opinion.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=66431&catid=635

Tree Colors, you can cut it into 1' wide strips and cover small - medium trees (mostly the ones you want to keep. the big ones are usually pretty hardy unless they are center fairway)

Just a few zip ties in the back through the mesh keep it in place.

70¢ per foot (when cut in half) is pretty good, considering a single tree can make or break a hole.

^^This mesh looks as if it's designed for drinking glass drying/storage for restaurants, no? Jenga, have you used this as tree protection before?
Looks great if it works…seems to fit all my needs; (1)impact protection (2)abrasion resistance (3)plenty of holes for ventilation and bird de-bugging (4)easy zip-tie adjustment (5)inexpensive
I like it if it works and it lasts.