• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Best gateway base plastic blends

Ted Bratton

Double Eagle Member
I just put my last fresh wizard in the bag and I'd like to buy a couple more. I use them for some upshots and drives. I've found that I prefer mine to be durable, stiffer (S or SS), and to still have a grippy, "good" feeling. I haven't been able to feel all of the blends out there yet. What are your favorite durable and stiff gateway base plastic blends?

I use SS wizs for up shots and putting (sometimes SSS for unlevel greens) and an HPP evo wiz for drives off the tee and longer approaches. Super happy with it; feels really good, durable, not the stiffest but holds it's own pretty well!

Cheers!

I like M, S, and SS too. I've also tried Eraser, Glow, SSS, and RFF, but I prefer stiffer. Evo is great, but I'm guessing not what you are looking for.

I think its time for Gateway to release some new runs. I am kinda curious if they will change their blends a little and release Mediums that fit PDGA specs or if Softs will be the stiffest going forward. Either way, I'm hoping for new stiff wizards!

Ok, so you seem to be the expert: which plastic is in terms oft softness most like the trilogy soft plastic?

I prefer SS with a nice tacky feel to them for putting and up shots and I use Soft Wizards for driving. But In the last few weeks I have been throwing Erasers that are tacky and firm. But to each his own....

(Nice collection elnino):D

The Wizards with the large "G" in the center (maybe those are protos?) have a fantastic feel to them . I was able to putt with one for a little, but sadly it was a tester and not for sale. I loved the Mediums, but Soft is decent enough. I actually like to drive with RFFs and putt with the stiffer stuff. Since I gave away my last RFF I should probably restock.

Ok, so you seem to be the expert: which plastic is in terms oft softness most like the trilogy soft plastic?

I think RFF or a worn in SSS would be your best bet. If you really want to get some with a specific feel, though, you can just call the factory directly. Describe to them what you like, and they'll pick a few out and sell them to you for a good price.

the firm glows with a low shoulder are probably the best plastic for great putters.

sadly if you find one buy a bunch so you have a stack because finding matching wizards is quite difficult.

Haven't throw a wizard yet held my buddy's soft wizard felt nice. But I have a sss magic an it's hard as a rock was kinda hopeing it would be all soft an floppy like a soft judge

You got a rock hard SSS magic? That's kinda strange. I putt with SSS voodoos and they are by no means hard. Maybe slightly stiff but not hard

I think RFF or a worn in SSS would be your best bet. If you really want to get some with a specific feel, though, you can just call the factory directly. Describe to them what you like, and they'll pick a few out and sell them to you for a good price.

Summed up perfectly. I like mine Wizards stiff as possible, rubbery, and in "S" blend. The biggest problem with Gateway's basic blends is that they vary so much from disc to disc. If you're looking for consistency in product you should order bulk straight from the factory. I called them up, described to them exactly what texture and stiffness I prefer, what exact weight I wanted, and how many. I saved some dough and got exactly what I wanted. I'll never do it any other way again. Gateway's customer service is legendary.

I prefer the stiffer runs of SSS plastic, where it's got some flex to it but far from floppy. That blend seems to have the most tackiness, especially black ones. I'd rather have them a bit too stiff than too floppy because they will soften up a bit as they season.

You got a rock hard SSS magic? That's kinda strange. I putt with SSS voodoos and they are by no means hard. Maybe slightly stiff but not hard

I have some SSS Magics that are nice, grippy, soft.
But I also have some that are hard and stiff unless you scrub/scuff them up a little once in a while.

I've been through about 50 Wizards, and I prefer SS for driving (the velvety feeling SS) and RFF's for putting.

If you like something slicker for driving with, Organics are nice, too...they just break in quickly.