• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Best gateway putter plastic.

bhuff

Double Eagle Member
I'm looking for something sorta like Pro-D, just not so imparable to damage. Not really floppy but still a little grip for the chains...I'm thinking of the Wizard or Warlock.

Im a big Magic fan... I love the organic plastic a lot more then what I originally thought, it has great grip. The SS (super soft) is also really nice as well.. a lot of people like the SSS (super stupid soft) but its almost too much for me, it seems like I get a better release with the Organic Magic (S plasticesque) then with the SS Magic.

I'm looking for something sorta like Pro-D, just not so imparable to damage. Not really floppy but still a little grip for the chains...I'm thinking of the Wizard or Warlock.

I would say Soft is close to what you are looking for.

is the organic or SS plastic still have stiffness to it, not able to "taco" it but not supper stiff like star plastic?

The soft wizards I have are very close in feel to my sons pro-d challengers as far plastic and stiffness feels.

The soft wizards I have are very close in feel to my sons pro-d challengers as far plastic and stiffness feels.

Does it retain its flight characteristics more than a Pro D would? My pro d challenger is only 2 months old and it has quite the number of dings in it which makes it a little rougher in the hand and the flight path changes slightly every few weeks.

From what I can tell my worn one has become more stable and the other less used flies pretty much the same. The worn one is mostly worn on the bead. Other than that the plastic is holding well for a putter.

You could also try out medium flex plastic , it's a bit stiffer but I like the grip and in wizards it drives well and holds up long.

Medium is brick-like. I don't much like the grip.

Soft is very grippy, yet not floppy at all. I use this for driving.

Super Soft is just floppy enough that it won't usually do the ol' bounce and roll if it lands on edge. But still torque-able off the tee. My personal fave for putting.

Super Stupid Soft
is more floppy. Probably not enough firmness to drive for most.

I got a Wizard in Evolution HPP. That's like an old Valk. Basically a really floppy champion-like plastic. Great for putting. A bit too floppy for driving for my tastes.

My advice to you is to, if possible, find a place that has Gateway and handle some of the putters until you find the feel you want. Gateway doesn't even know where to draw the lines when it comes to their stiffnesses, so if you order you never know what you're going to get. I've had really stiff super softs, floppy softs, and even fairly stiff SSSs.

I really like the Super Stupid Soft (SSS). I have the Wizard, Magic and Vodoo. They become much more flexible over time but some runs are different than others. I think the Magic may be the straightest. I have a Wizard that is really flexible and it is great for putts where you do not want the putter to get too far away from the basket if you miss. If throw correctly, it will land flat. I have like six different versions of the Gateway putters and the SSS is my favorite.

I've been stuck on the Wizard for a while. My first Gateway disc was a soft Warlock, but it seemed small in my hands. Next was a medium Wizard which felt very natural in my hands for regular and turbo putting (plus some mid-range shots.) Then I got a Super Soft Wizard. My turbo put distance and accuracy increased measurably (way more controlled grip-age,) and have been working into the mid-range game with a fair amount of accuracy. Haven't driven much with it yet, though, but in terms of all-around putting I couldn't imagine not having the Wizard SS in my bag at this point, I LOVE that thing....

Last edited:
I love my ss and sss magics and voodoos but long term wise my evo hpp ones are awesome and still look and fly like new since I got them.

My advice to you is to, if possible, find a place that has Gateway and handle some of the putters until you find the feel you want. Gateway doesn't even know where to draw the lines when it comes to their stiffnesses, so if you order you never know what you're going to get. I've had really stiff super softs, floppy softs, and even fairly stiff SSSs.

I agree with this 100%
Gateway is always messing around with their chemistry set. You really do have to handle them before choosing.

Katana should pick up a few in organic plastic. That way if he throws it in the lake it will eventually dissolve and no one can have it.

I have check my local shops around and knowone carries gateway. So I am going to have to go off there ratings. eek. SO when I think of an SS gateway, it makes me think of the floppiness of my Omega SS that I can taco. Is the SS in gateway stiffer than the SS that millenium puts out?

I have check my local shops around and knowone carries gateway. So I am going to have to go off there ratings. eek. SO when I think of an SS gateway, it makes me think of the floppiness of my Omega SS that I can taco. Is the SS in gateway stiffer than the SS that millenium puts out?

The new Omega ss are just r-pro but real omega ss were much more firm.
I would not think that gateways SS are all that soft. maybe the SSS clover wizards might be. ONE thing I have noticed with my Soft wiz is that is is getting softer with age.

Last edited: