• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Best mid range

iDisc

Par Member
i need a mid-range that can be thrown similar to a driver, i was thinking of the Discraft wasp?

ive had a roc before but turned it over going for that little extra distance but when it was new it was ok but i got beaten fast. any other suggestions are appreciated

The Wasp is a good choice for overstable midrange. I've also heard good things about the Whippet from Innova.

k. im looking for more of a mid range. on the innova sight it says whippet is a fairway driver. but i might have to check it out

I've always had a Shark in my bag for the Mid-Range Drive. When I started, I didn't have to throw it hard; the range was consistent and it went where I released it. But now I find myself really using it more for the long range putt.

thanks for the input. i had a champion shark and it felt uncomfortable in my hand. i'm using star skeeters for mid range shots and approaches but im looking for some thing that i can give some effort (not 100% power but i can do my usual drive run-up) and it wont turn over on me

EDIT: WHAT GRIPS DO Y'ALL USE FOR A MID RANGE SHOT?

I generally use the power grip for everything. I don't want to have to worry about what distance should I be switchin grips at. I have one grip for putss and power grip for all else.

I agree with you on the feel of the Shark. It never felt quite right in my hand. My mid-to-fairway is the Innova Cobra. It is a 5,4,-2,2. Can be thrown inside or outside. Mine have become more and more stable the older they get. Unless I get a bad release, she flies nigh on straight down the fairway. The 5+4 lets you reach out a good ways as well.

I use a Star Coyote as my midrange. It feels great in my hand and holds any line you put on it. Also a Panther works great.

Discraft Stratus - It may not be a midrange, but I use it as one. It flies straight and can be used for longer distance if need be. I use my putter grip, forehand, and the power grip with this disc.

There are some Mids that have been mentioned such as the Kite and Panther that have a driver-like design. However all the ones I am aware of are understable, so if you didn't like the way the Roc flipped you are not going to like these at all.

The Millennium Sentinel MF is more overstable than a Roc, and the top of it is more tapered from the wing to the center of the top. It's hard to explain, but it is sort of like a driver top on a midrange bottom. So it might feel more like a driver, and it will handle more snap than a Roc. So that is what I'd recommend.

As for grips, I use a fork grip on putts and midrange shots. I spread my fingers more on a putt, but for midranges I use pretty much the classic fork grip with my last three fingers pressed together against the rim. I also use the power grip, but only on drivers. I really can't get a power grip to feel comfortable on my midrange discs.

I use an innova spider at times and like it pretty well. For a little bit more distance you can look at the discraft xpress. I know it is more of a fairway driver but being 0 on stability it will hold a pretty good line. If all else fails just throw that roc with a little hyzer.

If a Roc is turning over for you then anything you pick that will be more overstable will probably have more fade than you want. I'd recommend working with the Rocs to get them to fly right for you. Once you do that, your beat Rocs will be really straight flyers and you can use really beat ones for turnovers and new ones for when you need a fade.

If a Roc is turning over for you then anything you pick that will be more overstable will probably have more fade than you want. I'd recommend working with the Rocs to get them to fly right for you. Once you do that, your beat Rocs will be really straight flyers and you can use really beat ones for turnovers and new ones for when you need a fade.
I was wondering when you would chime in. I like the fact that there is somebody on this board who will consistently say "check you form.":D

Really, he is right. I've seen every sort of shot imaginable executed with a Roc, including guys who throw them further than I can throw a driver. If it is a lighter weight you might trying to increase that to offset the "got flippy too quick" effect, or maybe you need to put some hyzer on it when you try to go deep. Otherwise you are probably just torquing it over by trying to throw it too hard. Work with them for a while and you will probably figure it out.

Discraft Stratus - It may not be a midrange, but I use it as one. It flies straight and can be used for longer distance if need be. I use my putter grip, forehand, and the power grip with this disc.

I do the same thing. I use my Stratus for understable midrange shots.

I was wondering when you would chime in. I like the fact that there is somebody on this board who will consistently say "check you form.":D
I'd rather go after the root cause of a problem. It's either that or we'll recommend discs that are more overstable, he'll try them and then start wanting something with less fade and we'll recommend the Roc and start all over.

I can't blame people for not knowing it's their form being off rather than the discs that aren't working for them. There's a ton of information regarding disc choice and disc stability that makes it sound like once you start getting better that discs will start flipping over. That information seems like it's confirmed when you're able to go up in stability and that seems to fix your problem. They don't always make it clear that there are some form issues you can have that cause discs you should be able to throw either straight or on any line to turn over instead. I was very confused by it for a while and I've been super happy now that I've been fixing problems with my throw rather than looking for specific discs to fit me.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but working on your form is where it's at! I remember when I picked up my first Roc...I threw it for a round, had the same problem (fluttering when I released it, then turned over right into the ground), and gave up on it. It sat in my closet over the next year while I kept playing without a mid-range disc. When I eventually took it back out for a round, I couldn't believe that I ever thought about playing without it!

Check out these Technique Repair articles on DiscGolfReview.com ( click here ). Those should help you get started...

Being able to control a stable midrange disc will help your game immensely! It's a good feeling when everyone else in your group is trying to thread their Destroyer 275' through a tightly wooded fairway, and then you step up with your Roc (or Buzzz or whatever) and throw it dead-straight right under the pin. What's even better is when you can do it with a putter :eek:

Discraft - BUZZZ

I have 2 aces with a Buzzz-D, the 2 holes were both about 150 ft. and straight on throws, in my experiance the Buzzz is the straightest flying and best mid range disc. Recently ive been using the new Buzzz FLX. But its your own opinion, you should atleast try throwing one though

Latest posts