• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Best mid range

I use an Elite Z Buzz SS for my mid range. It was only made, to my knowledge, for the Worlds promotion. It fly straight and true every time. I drive with it on every hole 350ft and under. I've always been a big fan of the Ontario Roc also. If anyone has an one of the Worlds promotion Elite Z Buzz SS for sale please contact me at [email protected].

If the thread dies, don't take it as a yes bro! ;)

I asume you have not been bit by the skeeter? Let me plead a case for the lowly skeeter.

1. Most experienced players like Rocs because they are high speed stable. Rocs have a high speed stability rating of 0. The skeeter also has a high speed stability rating of 0

2. If you throw a disc faster than it's speed rating it will turn to the right (turnover). The roc has a speed rating of 4 while the skeeter's is 5. Therefore, you can throw the skeeter harder without it turning over.

3. The Roc has a glide rating of 4 while the skeeter's is 5. The skeeter will maintain it's altitude longer.

4. The Roc has a fade of 3 while the skeeter has a fade of 1. I don't understand why anyone would want more fade at the end of a discs flight, especially on an approach.

So if you want an approach disc that goes where you want it too, get bit by the Skeeter.

Even though they stopped making it, the Champion Cobra has been the best mid-range driver I have ever used. No question.

Coyote, and panthers are my mid range of choice because they are so straight, however, if you are flipping over a roc, these may be to understable for you, in that case the more stable mid ranges would be a spider, a cro, and the most stable is the gator. And there is a newer disc out, the Pig, which is a hybrid disc, a ryno top, and a gator bottom. You won't get the distance you would with a true mid range, but it is a very predictable stable disc

thanks peeps i might try a gator but it has a lack of glide, but i may need to try a coyote

shank, doesn't the kite turn over? its HSS is -3

There are a couple of midrange's that have been mentioned that I use regularly. I carry a DX Skeeter and an Elite X Buzz, both have there place in my bag. The Skeeter is more of my short approach disc, the Buzz I use for longer approaches/short drives.

The Skeeter is more of an aim and shoot disc, aim it at the target give it just a little snap, keep it low and it will go straight with little fade. Throw it with any power at all and it turns right and doesn't come back. The Buzz on the other hand will fade more on low power approaches but excels at medium range approaches when your able to get a little more power on it. It'll turn over with enough power but nearly always comes back. On these medium approaches the Buzz is very straight. The Buzz is better in the wind. Both are quality midrange discs though, just different.

I do the same thing. I use my Stratus for understable midrange shots.

I find that whatever angle I release this disc at, that is the path it seems to take. I have 5 of these and they all seem to do this. The only thing that does alter from this, is if I throw it perfectly flat for short approaches it will hyzer at the end. If I put just a touch of Ani on it, it will hold a nice straight shot. Outside of that, it seems to hold the angles I throw it at. :cool:

Am I the only one that thinks the Skeeter is the greatest midrange ever made?

I borrowed a guys Skeeter when we were playing with a group of newcomers to the game and I loaned out all my mid rages. He handed me an old Skeeter. After playing the round with it, I loved its consistency! I went home and ordered me a Skeeter on line and now use it exclusively as my mid range of choice. Couldn't agree more, The Skeeter is my favorite mid range by far.

I had a skeeter in my bag for quite some time...problem is when it got slightly broken in <and it was star plastic>, if you put any power to it, it got flippy. If I backed off, it was straight as an arrow. I could have tried going up on weight, was throwing 166g, but ended up finding a brand new champ panther on my home course with no name, so I threw it just for giggles, straight.....threw it hard...straight....so the skeeter came out, panther went in. The skeeter was definately a great disc, I just needed to find what weight works for me

idisc, I always had trouble throwing midranges for distance. They would get caught on my finger. I found one disc, the Millenium Sentinel, which worked so well b/c the rim was shallow and it just happens to be a bit faster and more overstable than a Roc so I think it will be exactly what you're looking for. This is a really great disc.

The Sentinel MF is a great disc. In combination with the Aurora MS, you would have a great midrange set-up. They compliment each other very well. Dave Dunipace has said several times that the Aurora MS is the most under appreciated disc he has ever molded, as it is a great all-around disc. The Sentinel MF is just what Justin said, it is faster and more overstable than a Roc, great for hyzer shots or into a headwind that the Aurora is nor stable enough to handle. For some reason they have never been as popular as the Roc or the Buzzz/Wasp combo, but folks still looking for a midrange set-up should check these discs out.

Am I the only one that thinks the Skeeter is the greatest midrange ever made?

the skeeter is what i use but i want something that i can give more power.

i can give it a good amount of snap and power but it's on a hyzer and flies hyzer. but if i put it flat it turns over fast

I had a skeeter in my bag for quite some time...problem is when it got slightly broken in <and it was star plastic>, if you put any power to it, it got flippy. If I backed off, it was straight as an arrow. I could have tried going up on weight, was throwing 166g, but ended up finding a brand new champ panther on my home course with no name, so I threw it just for giggles, straight.....threw it hard...straight....so the skeeter came out, panther went in. The skeeter was definately a great disc, I just needed to find what weight works for me

i use a 169 and a 175, but i need something overstable for longer shots. maybe i should try the spider.

i wish there was a place that let's you try out discs

i use a 169 and a 175, but i need something overstable for longer shots. maybe i should try the spider.

i wish there was a place that let's you try out discs

I guess I'm just lucky. I live about 2 minutes from Discnation in Austin. They let you take em for a test drive before you buy them. So I threw my spider for a while before I finally bought it. I went with Champ plastic so hopefully it won't beat in too quick. It is straight as an arrow backhand or forehand. Makes a good putter too.

Good midranges

The midrange that i use the most is a discarft wasp. It has a big lip on it and is really overstable for a midrange. it is good for short holes up to 300 feet. Now for a more straighter midrange try the innova wolf. it will fly straight and have little hyzer at the end of its flight. The discraft Buzz flies much straighter then the wolf but won't go as far and is easy to turmn over.

If you're considering the spider, also check out the Pig. It's mad overstable for me, but it might be solid as a roc(k) for you.

I had been using the banshee for short hyzer shots, but the pig is now my go-to as it will curl around trees at 100-150 feet and then park, where the banshee would skip out of control.

If you're considering the spider, also check out the Pig. It's mad overstable for me, but it might be solid as a roc(k) for you.

I had been using the banshee for short hyzer shots, but the pig is now my go-to as it will curl around trees at 100-150 feet and then park, where the banshee would skip out of control.
Yeah, you have to be careful of using too much disc. I've met a lot of guys who carry nothing but speed 10+ drivers and maybe a putter, and that leaves a lot of shots where they just don't have a disc to execute. They try to soft toss a long range driver and wonder why it does not work. A Banshee is way too long and fast for a 100 ft shot. It's a driver, so it will have a lot of rotation when it lands and will skip even if you are trying to short-arm it. You have to use a slower discs at shorter range. A Rhyno would be a much better disc for that shot at that distance.

Latest posts