• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Best Mvp Family Mid range combo for beginner

Kattrax

I am making a all MVP bag. Looking for everyone's thoughts on the best Mid-ranged combo for beginners. Am RHBH dominant but like to think i am fairly decent with the RHFH as well.

They have 1 mid that is decent, the Alais. It's a short mid, almost a putter itself. It's very neutral in its flight, very point and shoot. I don't bag it though. Any shot it can do, I can do either with my Envy or Comet.
I will use it for single disc rounds as I can putt with it.

my recommendation:
mid ranges for beginners: Electron vector and any plastic tangent or alias
but really, I recommend learning to throw the envy/proxy combo for most mid range shots, as they are amazing throwing putters

Your thoughts on recommended Putters?

plaz ion

others speak loudly about the envy or proxy

other honorable mentions are atom or anode

The Ion and the Envy may be the best two throwing putters made. They feel so different, you will just have to pick them up and fondle them to see.
Ions for round fingers, Envys for square fingers. It's a feel thing.

Envy/Atom for long putters, Matrix/ tangent for mids.

IMO the Matrix is the best gyro mid by a long way, it's got some stability but mainly just wants to go straight.

I like the Axis and the Tangent when I take the 'all-MVP/Axiom' bag to the course. I have a Vector and it's okay, but there may be something better in the more overstable range.

The Proxy/Envy combo for putt and approach duties is excellent, also.

I go proton matrix and plasma axis. The alias is a nice easy to throw straight mid too.

Throwing putters: I'm in the ion/anode camp. Also throw a particle for more os.

Putting putters: I putt a firm e anode

No matter which you try, remember that large diameter mids are more gyroscopic by nature. So add the overmold and you have a disc that is very gyro. Now we could debate all day about the intricacies of what gyro does and to what degree without consensus, but most do tend to agree that the extra weight on the outside tends to make the disc feel/fly heavier than a one piece disc of the same weight. Personally I theorize that this really throws a monkeywrench into the impressions of people who test a lot of discs by just slotting in and out similar purposed discs from different manufacturers for comparison. With the small diameter drivers/putters the difference in feel is like 1-2g, but with the larger mids it's more like a 2-3g difference.

When I threw Buzzes my weight was 177, Rocs I liked at 178-179, but a Vector that weight would take a full power rip to go past 300'. My main N Vector now is 174.5 and it honestly flies at the same general height and line with the same power and angle that I used to throw with those heavier mids. With a nice smooth 80% shot I can easily pass 300'.

For beginners I would recommend the Tangent, Alias, or Theory. Learn to throw hyzer/straight/and anny lines with whichever you choose.

I would suggest an Axiom Alias as its just SO straight but stable and is great for everyone (and I have aces galore with it and by galore I mean 2 --almost 3) and MVP Matrix - its nice, slight turn mod fade.

To be honest, I would say that the Signal is a great beginner midrange. It's classified as a fairway, but powers down really well, and is nice and understable for someone with slow arm speed.

Axis if you want one solid, versatile mid. Vector / Tangent if you want a pair. Deflector / Axis / Theory if you want three mids with very different stabilities.

You may find this comparison useful. It's old so the newer molds are not represented.

Personally I carry a beat Axis for flips, seasoned Axis for laserbeams, and a Vector as a slightly overstable go to.

I am making a all MVP bag. Looking for everyone's thoughts on the best Mid-ranged combo for beginners. Am RHBH dominant but like to think i am fairly decent with the RHFH as well.

Everyone else has pretty much nailed the mid range discussion... what do you have now for MVP discs?

If you don't have any.. If I was you I would pick out a putter: Anode, Atom, Ion, Proxy, Pilot(?) That is somewhat neutral.

I would pair said putter with a Relay. It can also take care of some mid range duties.

If you then have a neutral putter and a fairway driver you will see where your next gap will be.. The putters are generally fast for putters, that Relay will power down better than you think, filling a stable mid slot and excellent controllable distance. Likely at that point you might want an Envy.. to pair with your more neutral putter.. Haha.

That being said to actually answer your question about mids I would look at the Tangent if you like a lightly seasoned Buzzz, Theory or Vertex if you like a Comet normally. Vector if you want straight but beefy. Personally I use a Tangent. I love the feel in the hand and it holds some cool lines, it's not a real glidey mid but it's great for flying how you think it should.

Left, right, or straight the Tangent is great for one disc rounds, I use my heavy 178 as my wind putter..

Timed out..

The Axis is a straight up Buzzz replacement if you can get it moving it's awesome. Good glide, holds lines but takes more power than a Tangent to get a good flight but it goes further.

Latest posts