• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Pro Shop & Food Service Onsite

Cgkdisc

.:Hall of Fame Member:.
Curious to discover our most advanced pro shops with food service, perhaps alcohol even, at a pay-for-play disc golf facility NOT on an active ball golf course. I was commenting the other day that I didn't think we had more than a handful of full service pro shops to rival even the most basic pro shop and food service facility at your run-of-the-mill public ball golf course. But let us know about the best in your area to see how far along we're coming to advance the perception of our sport.

Here are the criteria:
- Permanent disc golf course(s) not on active ball golf course
- Pro shop selling a good selection of discs
- Food service could range from snacks to burger/dogs to meals to alcohol
- Tables/chairs to sit and eat/drink
Bonus points:
- Room or nearby enclosed shelter to support tournaments
- Wi-fi signal or at least good cell service blankets the course(s)
- Televisions/monitors to watch live coverage and/or scroll current tournament scores

The better ones I can think of from my travels that include much of the above are at the IDGC, Lemon Lake Flight Center, Blockhouse and Blue Ribbon Pines. As Al Roker might say, "What's happening in your neck of the woods?"

I assume places like mont du lac and hyland ski area would fall into the golf hybrid course criteria? Both great spots to chill and eat etc.

I assume places like mont du lac and hyland ski area would fall into the golf hybrid course criteria? Both great spots to chill and eat etc.
Yes, considering ski facilities also have pro shop/food service like ball golf. You've got Afton Alps also along with Giants Ridge and many other ski courses.

Pioneer Bar & Grill near Menominee has the 9-hole course onsite but I'm not sure they sell discs there.

Circle's Edge Disc Golf... Brengle Terrace Park. Couple thousand discs, large drink and snacks selection, wide variety of microwavable food. Breakfast burritos and sandwiches, burritos, 3 types hotpockets, cheese burgers, chicken sandwiches, uncrustables, ice cream, and more. Places to sit and eat. 2 practice baskets. Disc Golf videos on the tablet, eventually we'll get a TV going. It's my place, good spot to hang out before or after round. Great prices on discs too. ��

Sky High Disc Golf Course at Mountain High North. This is a seasonal pay to play disc golf course on a ski resort.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1884

During the winter, there is a full service lodge for the ski resort. In the summer, there is a small pro shop and they serve a basic snack bar menu. They also sell beer and wine!

I am not familiar with the entire menu but they offer burgers, hot dogs, pizza and fountain drinks. They also have coffee, tea, hot chocolate and ice cream.

They are open Friday through Sunday during the summer.

There is lots of seating in the lodge, they have TV and WiFi and seating on the front deck and on the large patio area in back. We are allowed to use the lodge during events and they let us watch disc golf on the TV.

Last edited:
Trophy Lakes in Charleston SC maybe? I know they have a shop and a grill area outside, I would be surprised if they didn't serve food if some sort there.

Woodland Valley in Limerick ME. 3 courses, full pro shop with a cafe with tables (fairly certain they serve non-DG customers as well). Don't know about wifi but they have TVs in the shop. No dedicated shelter for a large crowd but I wouldn't put it past them to build it if the need arose.

But really, a lot of courses in Maine check most of the boxes. The only boxes that are tough to check are large enough room/shelter to handle a full tournament crowd and full food service. Nearly all have snacks/candy (maybe microwavable frozen meal items...hot pockets, etc) and beverages for sale and a lot of them will wheel out a grill or three to cook for a tournament.

Rollin Ridge. A large clubhouse with a bar that serves food, pool table and video games, well stocked pro shop with tons of discs, hats, shirts, bags, carts etc. A huge lost disc rack (if you lost it, they probably found it). A large deck with lots of seating, multiple practice baskets and a big driving cage. And they have Spotted Cow!:thmbup:

Rollin Ridge. A large clubhouse with a bar that serves food, pool table and video games, well stocked pro shop with tons of discs, hats, shirts, bags, carts etc. A huge lost disc rack (if you lost it, they probably found it). A large deck with lots of seating, multiple practice baskets and a big driving cage. And they have Spotted Cow!:thmbup:

This is what came to mind for me as well. They run a great operation.

Well, this is easy. In this area, private or public, no one has a pro shop. The Nati (Cincinnati, OH) has to be the best one as it is the only one I have been to. The course is very good, not great, but very pretty. Good selection of discs and other dg related items, a cooler with snacks and drinks, and very nice staff. I almost forgot I had left the Appalachians ;) .

Last edited:
The absolute best temporary facility is at the Virginia State Frisbee Tournament.

Purchasing the 'Lost Weekend' package not only gets you entry to the tournament, a players' package, but FREE food for the entire weekend from 'Shelter H'. This tournament was the original and still running 'festival' style event others have proposed for many years. This tournament is the last major annual overall event and meet-up of the 'Frisbee Family' extant.

Unless you're an absolute ass, it doesn't matter who you are, when there, you are treated like a valued member of that family. I mean this sincerely - it isn't some cheap commercial come-on, exclusively designed to 'improve the perception of disc golf' and monetize the sport. Striving for status is not this event's purpose.

They serve a large variety of excellent food (including vegan/vegetarian for those inclined) from a full-service kitchen, with all the bells and whistles. It includes restaurant-style pizza ovens. They set up this cafe every year for the event. Canned ice-cold PBRs were .50 cents each last time I checked. They also offer live (and recorded) music and disc sales.

For brevity's sake I omit many details, but for those wondering where Steve Dodge got his inspiration for all the 'side contests' and atmosphere for his big event at Maple Hill, he got the ideas right there in little ole Fredericksburg, Virginia.

The absolute best temporary facility is at the Virginia State Frisbee Tournament.

Purchasing the 'Lost Weekend' package not only gets you entry to the tournament, a players' package, but FREE food for the entire weekend from 'Shelter H'. This tournament was the original and still running 'festival' style event others have proposed for many years. This tournament is the last major annual overall event and meet-up of the 'Frisbee Family' extant.

Unless you're an absolute ass, it doesn't matter who you are, when there, you are treated like a valued member of that family. I mean this sincerely - it isn't some cheap commercial come-on, exclusively designed to 'improve the perception of disc golf' and monetize the sport. Striving for status is not this event's purpose.

They serve a large variety of excellent food (including vegan/vegetarian for those inclined) from a full-service kitchen, with all the bells and whistles. It includes restaurant-style pizza ovens. They set up this cafe every year for the event. Canned ice-cold PBRs were .50 cents each last time I checked. They also offer live (and recorded) music and disc sales.

For brevity's sake I omit many details, but for those wondering where Steve Dodge got his inspiration for all the 'side contests' and atmosphere for his big event at Maple Hill, he got the ideas right there in little ole Fredericksburg, Virginia.
My son goes to this event every year, primarily for the Double Disc Court, but participates in the other contests as well. He loves it !

best vegetarian "restaurant" in the area for one weekend a year. i don't even play States (all around just not my thing) and often go by to eat during the course of the weekend.

Bosquet Ski Mountain in Pittsfield has an 18 hole DG course with food service typical of a small ski slope and a bar as well. I'm not sure if they sell discs.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4856

Bousquet is $5 a round

Hunter mountain in Hunter New York similar situation. Although i'm not sure if there bar is open all the time I do know they have a small selection of discs for sale in their shop.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4625

Hunter is free to play

Last edited:
Creeping Creek DGC/Ruhlman Brewery has a covered concert pavilion with tables and benches and of course beer and small selection of discs, but only during concerts is there food available on-site and must purchase concert ticket to play disc golf during concerts although holes 1 and 2 are closed for parking and picnic. Next Saturday 6/3 is Gregfest 2pm-10pm Grateful Dead tribute bands.

Blind Squirrel DGC/Brewery probably checks most of the boxes, not sure about the pro shop as I was too busy eating and drinking.

Sky High Disc Golf Course at Mountain High North. This is a seasonal pay to play disc golf course on a ski resort.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1884.

They (and DGCR) got a shout-out on NBC last weekend during coverage of the final stage of the Tour of California. I was half-watching when all of a sudden I heard Phil Liggett say something like "Play a round of disc golf at Sky High Disc Golf Course in Mountain High, ranked as one of the 25 best courses by Disc Golf Course Review."

Nothing remotely near that caliber in SE Michigan (nor the rest of the state, to my knowledge).

The Throwshop in Ypsilanti is outstanding for discs, carries basic snacks & beverages, has an awning the size of a decent park pavillion for Tourney Central... but that's about it. Bathroom is a portajon. No place for a bunch of people to sit & eat. Essentially a 1-2 person operation.

Hudson Mills has nice facility that seats plenty with room to eat (but might be cost prohibitive to rent since every tourney there erects their own temp shelter), clean restrooms, occasional snack bar... no pro shop whatsoever.

They (and DGCR) got a shout-out on NBC last weekend during coverage of the final stage of the Tour of California. I was half-watching when all of a sudden I heard Phil Liggett say something like "Play a round of disc golf at Sky High Disc Golf Course in Mountain High, ranked as one of the 25 best courses by Disc Golf Course Review."

Yeah it was pretty cool. I let tim know but we have not been able to get any video of this. Anyone have some DVR magic or something?! Would be neat to get for him.

My son goes to this event every year, primarily for the Double Disc Court, but participates in the other contests as well. He loves it !

And here we see the trade-offs inherent with 'progress'.

Disc Golf has basically crowded every other disc discipline (including catch) save Ultimate off the map. Double Disc Court is absolutely the best disc game ever invented. One can watch a single high level match of DDC and see more disc and athletic skill displayed there than in 1000 disc golf tournaments. Sadly, the learning curve of DDC is too much for most people and most of the 'good' DDC players are now pushing 50 or better...