• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best shoes for DG in the rain

Unless its really cold out, I could care less about a waterproof shoe in the rain.
What I DO care about is not slipping, and suffering a groin pull, or a Three Stooges like fall.

The best shoes for preventing slips are trail running shoes. I prefer Asics. If I can walk down angled, moss covered logs in them, most golf course surfaces are childs play.
Merrells are garbage, they fall apart too quick. It seems like everybody has to buy a pair before they learn thier lesson though, which is why the company still exists.

I just wanted to share this story from today quick about the Targee II's I recently bought. There is a spot on a long hole at a local course where someone had thrown a disc in the muck, mud, and water today and had abandoned it. I walked to the edge and the muddy water came up over my toes to where about 3/4 of my laces were submerged, if not more. Un-inked disc recovered, socks dry as a bone.

I'm not sure how long those shoes could take that kind of moisture without it soaking through the nubuck, but I was impressed.

Grrrr Keen VS. Merrell... FIGHT!
-ha

I purchased a pair of Embark Merrel barefoot shoes and did really well, they are simply not built for the abuse I put them through but all in all they were comfortable, great traction and very water proof ( If they get submerged you really need to let them 100% dry for them to comeback to life), After a year they look a little rough but there is still alot of life in them, they will retire as my running around town/light hiking shoe.

Now onto Moab Mid-height GORE-TEX. Just purchased them to replace my barefoots so cannot review yet but I am sure they will be as great as a 100$ priced shoe should be for the abuse we give them. If you wanna get in the 150+200$ range I am sure there is something extremely superior but not for this broke chef :thmbup:

I like my Merrell Moab's pretty good. Just the right amount of comfort and grip. Mine's starting to fall apart though :doh:

I went through a pair of WP Goartex Merrell MOABS, great shoe. They do wear out pretty quickly though. At least they did for me. And if you drag your back foot at all it'll tear those shoes apart on the toe. But they are extremely comfy. I have a different pair of Merrells now, don't remember what they are off the top of my head but i also got a sole for them that make them feel like i'm walking on pillows.

I really like my Keen Targhee IIs, but as stated before, the sole near the ball of the foot tends to come loose. I got a replacement pair from Keen warranty, and they did the same thing after a few months. They are the most comfortable boot I've ever worn, but I probably won't buy another pair.

I really like my Keen Targhee IIs, but as stated before, the sole near the ball of the foot tends to come loose. I got a replacement pair from Keen warranty, and they did the same thing after a few months. They are the most comfortable boot I've ever worn, but I probably won't buy another pair.

I see where you are talking about already, but I think I will just Shoe Goo my way through the problem.

Just got my Moab's in and they look and feel fantastic. Very comfortable for my big feet ( 13w) Rough to find but snagged a pair of mids. Going to test them out in the soupy weather, any other shoe I would be hesitant to break them in with such poop conditions but the hell with it, lets start with a bang!

Grrrr Keen VS. Merrell... FIGHT!
-ha

I purchased a pair of Embark Merrel barefoot shoes and did really well, they are simply not built for the abuse I put them through but all in all they were comfortable, great traction and very water proof ( If they get submerged you really need to let them 100% dry for them to comeback to life), After a year they look a little rough but there is still alot of life in them, they will retire as my running around town/light hiking shoe.

Now onto Moab Mid-height GORE-TEX. Just purchased them to replace my barefoots so cannot review yet but I am sure they will be as great as a 100$ priced shoe should be for the abuse we give them. If you wanna get in the 150+200$ range I am sure there is something extremely superior but not for this broke chef :thmbup:

Merrell Moab waterproof with gortex work for me when its damp or raining out. Comfy too.

That was what I use to wear, and I really liked them. When they wore out, I bought some Keen shoes because I like how the sole goes up over the toe.

Just got my Moab's in and they look and feel fantastic. Very comfortable for my big feet ( 13w) Rough to find but snagged a pair of mids. Going to test them out in the soupy weather, any other shoe I would be hesitant to break them in with such poop conditions but the hell with it, lets start with a bang!

Played a couple rounds, first impression is they are beefy and I am sure can take abuse. I was treading through water like no thing, puddles, soaked grass/fields etc. Still very dry * After taking them off and feeling inside I did notice slight dampness above where you toes would be, still thats always a weak spot and am not too worried.

Durability and grip, Merrells have been my choice for years. I had my latest chameleons last over two years and still wearing them.

Been rainy here in Indiana and the last two days I've used my Merrell Moab Waterproofs. LOVE the comfortable feel and it inspires confidence that you won't slip off the pad

Latest posts