• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Stamps

Their template ensures there aren't any issues with stamping. Any design that might cause issues isn't cost/time effective for them, as they'd have to refine the design and make multiple dies to get one that works.

Also, their template is pretty much in line with all the other major manufacturers...

https://www.dynamicdiscs.com/custom-discs_a/267.htm

https://www.innovadiscs.com/disc-golf-discs/custom/custom-hot-stamp-guide/

Then where are all of these stamps coming from? Innova lets your design occupy the center of the disc. And MVP has discs stamped in the middle. Is it just a precaution, or will they enforce the dead zone? i guess that's really a question for them.

Then where are all of these stamps coming from? Innova lets your design occupy the center of the disc. And MVP has discs stamped in the middle. Is it just a precaution, or will they enforce the dead zone? i guess that's really a question for them.

I'm their Art Director so I deal with these specs all the time. They will enforce the unstampable center area and all our internal and in-house custom work has conformed to that spec for years. It just takes some creative planning on the designer's part much like the landscape for a course designer. In order to stamp you need a firm support with full, even contact beneath the stamped area, and the sprue and patent engraving on MVP molds is what prevents a perfectly even support beneath the center area. There's a lot of variation in machines and methods across manufacturers, not to mention the physical discs themselves which all have unique qualities from their mold designers. I do plenty of tournament stamps on Innova also, and while they do allow center coverage over the sprue, they discourage it and it's always possible that there will be some artifacts and misstamping in that area. As a designer I keep that in mind and only place insignificant material there, no critical details or text.

As far as the master stampable diameter, that can vary for manufacturers, but it mostly comes down to the issue of support beneath the disc and flatness of the striking surface. The slope of a dome can hinder stampable area, so for Innova's (awesome) XL stamp process, it's limited to certain flat molds like some Rocs and putters. Even some of the full-color processes are limited to flatter molds because the inkjet-like spray will feather off as the surface gets farther away.

Hope this info is useful. I made MVP's template based on their findings from a lot of trial and error, and I can guarantee that following the specs will make a more successful end product. I've tested the limits of specs from plenty of stamping operations and usually they're dead-on about what will and won't turn out well. Can't wait to see what y'all come up with!

24068827_10154743410716467_170211053335172906_o.jpg

This has always been a favorite of mine. The detail in this is pretty cool. It was created by hand before everyone owned a computer.
He's throwing a saw blade.

picture.php

i'm still pretty much waaaaay old school with my designs - i prefer regular pencil and inks, which is still mostly done with all my designs - the final logo's and lettering are done in photoshop (the USDGC roc from last year was ALL pencil/inks. i should probably update from photoshop 2 one day...

SORT%201_zpszkrjzesf.jpg

SORT%202_zpssqopsup3.jpg

SORT%203_zpsvlfcjapw.jpg