• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best variety 9 hole course?

No offense, but I am shocked you were talking about that course! :eek:

For me, Butterworth in the Quad Cities has been the gold standard. Two water holes IIRC.

Honorable mentions to Lake Wazee and (locally) Lewis University.

You obviously didn't play Lake Wazee when everything was grown. That's the worst shule I've ever seen. If your disc went in, it didn't come out. The shot over the water is pretty epic, though.

I have to throw another vote for The Brickyard. I went to Stout, so that is where I really cut my teeth playing disc golf. Every time I'm in the area, I make it a point to stop and play 9 but usually play more. So much in such a small space.

Bluemont Park in Arlington, VA has a TON of variety thanks to its three different sets of concrete tee pads... you can pretty much play 27 unique holes there (assuming that the place isn't super congested).

Second this. Also, with 2 baskets per hole (4 basket locations), you can change things up that way too. There are also kids tees.

Jones Park in Holly Springs, NC: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=7155

I didn't look up the particulars on this course before playing and expected a pitch and putt. When we got to hole 2 and it was 625 feet, I threw my expectations out. The course has wide open holes, tight wooded holes,uphill downhill, and an intimidating (to this noob, anyway) water carry.

There are only two holes under 300 feet. I understand this course is going to 18 holes this year. If they can sustain the quality of the existing 9, it will be great.

Tough to answer as I'm struggling with the definition of a "9 hole course". I'm assuming there is no ambiguity with a course that has 9 tee boxes each going to a separate basket, but what about the following situations (and I'm probably leaving some of these 'odd balls' out):

9 tees each one leading to 2 separate baskets
18 tees paired off so that each 2 lead to 1 basket
18 tees and 18 baskets but only 9 fairways

Strange as it may seem, what a "hole" is (in the OPs thought-line) is not so cut and dried as you might think.
Gee, something ELSE for us to debate :D.

Karl

You obviously didn't play Lake Wazee when everything was grown. That's the worst shule I've ever seen. If your disc went in, it didn't come out. The shot over the water is pretty epic, though.

Hey, we're just talking about variety here. ;) I was there in late June, plenty of shule! The last two holes are pretty good; I wimped out on the water carry because I threw a disc in the drink on the downhill one. :eek:

Linbrook is the best nine holer I've played.

With Linbrook being turned into 18 holes in 2023, there will be 3 holes that bring in much more open areas that should really add to the overall feel. Can't wait for people to see it. Perhaps some better tees and finally clearing the sides of hole 2 also.

Tough to answer as I'm struggling with the definition of a "9 hole course". I'm assuming there is no ambiguity with a course that has 9 tee boxes each going to a separate basket, but what about the following situations (and I'm probably leaving some of these 'odd balls' out):

9 tees each one leading to 2 separate baskets
18 tees paired off so that each 2 lead to 1 basket
18 tees and 18 baskets but only 9 fairways

Strange as it may seem, what a "hole" is (in the OPs thought-line) is not so cut and dried as you might think.
Gee, something ELSE for us to debate :D.

Karl

Valid questions. The way I see it, fairways essentially define or establish a hole.

Long and short tees or pins may change the type of shot and line you take, but you're playing the same hole. Most of the time, playing to the short tee/pin is literally just a subsection of the long.

Alt pin placements may very well require different shots off the tee, but have you throwing down the same fairway.

If you have to avoid the same OB, shule, or other trouble, it's just a variation of the same hole, not a different hole.

If two tees play to the same basket, but come at it from such different angles that your play through or around different trees, then I'd call it two different holes.

Likewise, if you threw from a single tee to one basket, then off the same tee in a completely different direction, and through a different set of trees to another basket, I'd say those are different holes.

But where significant sections of the fairways overlap, the various tees and baskets positions are simply variations on the same hole. They result in a different layout, but not a different hole.

Last edited:

Latest posts