• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Way To Deal With Theft Accusation?

ParishL31

So the other day was playing a course with a lot of water hazards. The group in front of us had a guy botch his drive off the tee and it goes straight into the middle of the lake. We play the same hole after, I over throw my putt and my disc goes right on the edge of the water (thankfully not in). So I hike down to the water area (I snagged my disc at the south end of the lake, he threw his in right in the middle), retrieve my disc and play on. It just happened that the disc that guy lost was white, and the disc I almost lost was white.

Long story short, I think he saw me hike down to recover my white disc and thought it was his. He approaches us and asks if we saw his white disc, after we say no sorry he continues to ask if we were sure, at least five times, then eventually gives up and mumbles "alright whatever" and flails his arms.

There's some nonsense drama and confrontation between our two groups the rest of the game and eventually we just offer for them to check our bags if they don't trust us, but they decline and try to turn it on us that it's rude to think that we thought he accused us. Not to mention they began writing their name and numbers, mid-game, on all the rest of their discs right after it happened...so even more suggestive, at least IMO.

Who do you guys feel is in the right? How do you guys deal with dumb things like this when they happen? I know a name and number on a disc would have solved things, but they refused to check our bags anyways.

Thinking about it now, if it were to happen again when he would start continuously asking if we were sure if we saw it I would just respond "look if you don't trust me then don't ask for my help" and leave it at that.

I don't care what others think. I know i didn't do anything wrong so they can pound sand as far as i'm concerned. Life is full of a-holes. Learning to deal with them is an important facet of living. My job teaches me a lot about dealing with them, so on the golf course is cakewalk.

I don't care what others think. I know i didn't do anything wrong so they can pound sand as far as i'm concerned. Life is full of a-holes. Learning to deal with them is an important facet of living.

2nd ^this emotion.

Show them your white disc so he sees it's not the same one he threw and it should be over.

You did show him your white disc, correct?

Or in other words... :p
You show him the white disc you retrieved from the water(hopefully with your name on it) and all should be good.

Sounds like it was his problem and not yours. Just let it go imo. You did what you could in the situation....

You show him the white disc you retrieved from the water(hopefully with your name on it) and all should be good.

I am with Captain here. A good natured attitude, a quick condolence for his lost disc, whipping that putter of yours out and letting him know it is yours, all solve this issue. Sounds like you got too bunched up at the accusation. I have had this happen both ways. Saw a guy pick up and toss the same colored, brand midrange I had just lost in an area. I was convinced I saw my disc, again a friendly approach, humble inquiry, and apology for asking made the situation bearable. We are all brothers of the disc, even chuckers. Be an ambassador, man. :D

We offered them to check our bags but they declined. I should have just shown the white disc anyways. I didn't have my name on it (it will now after that nonsense), but chances are it'd be a different mold. I guess some of the blame is on me since I wasn't thinking the straightest since I was still in angry pants mode from feeling accused.

You gotta let the lost discs come to a stop before claiming them :p

Stuff like that happens to us all from time to time. Just gotta brush it off, clear the air and be honest.

I am with Captain here. A good natured attitude, a quick condolence for his lost disc, whipping that putter of yours out and letting him know it is yours, all solve this issue. Sounds like you got too bunched up at the accusation. I have had this happen both ways. Saw a guy pick up and toss the same colored, brand midrange I had just lost in an area. I was convinced I saw my disc, again a friendly approach, humble inquiry, and apology for asking made the situation bearable. We are all brothers of the disc, even chuckers. Be an ambassador, man. :D

This.

Take the accusation with a grain of salt. One day you may be on the other side, 98% sure that someone has your disc, walking the fine line between asking them in a roundabout way, and just seizing their bag, only to find you're mistaken.

Don't know why you didn't just show him the disc. Lesson learned I guess.

Don't know why you didn't just show him the disc. Lesson learned I guess.

Yeah I don't know why either, now that I'm thinking with a clear head. It was probably just still bitter at being accused, especially since he was pretty rude about it. We offered to show our bags, they declined and continued to be rude. I'm sure that didn't help and put me in the "I don't have to prove anything anymore" mode.

Gotta be a bigger man next time. Lesson definitely learned.

Honey instead of vinegar!

If I throw my disc in the water & then I leave, more power to the guy who goes into the water & gets it out. He can keep it! He did the work to go get it out of the water when I did not! If I leave I consider that a release of my ownership of said disc! JMHO!
If I want 'my' disc back then I should be a lot more friendly with the disc retriever. Perhaps offer them a cold beer or other reward (;))for getting my disc back to me! :thmbup:

Who do you guys feel is in the right? How do you guys deal with dumb things like this when they happen?

Folks take discs all the time so I think its alright to trust but verify.

If someone hits me with a disc because they were negligent I'd throw it as far as I could or in the water if possible, but I'm fool enough to Chuck Norris any idiot who doesn't care enough to yell "Fore" or sincerely apologize immediately.;)

edit: added 'wink' I'm not messing with a dude bigger than me, or a girl;)

Last edited:
That's tricky. I've been on the other side of it. Shanked a drive into the rough close to another tee area. Saw a guy at said tee come out of the woods with an orange disc in hand (the color of mine) and stick it in his bag. I asked if they saw an orange wraith, to which they said no. At this point I'm just like the OP's accuser. Finally threw up my hands in disgust and said whatever. Had my eyes on that group the rest of the day, just waiting for that orange disc to come out. Finally just gave up the anger and went on with my life. But you get something in your head and it stays there.

Folks take discs all the time so I think its alright to trust but verify.

If someone hits me with a disc because they were negligent I'd throw it as far as I could or in the water if possible, but I'm fool enough to Chuck Norris any idiot who doesn't care enough to yell "Fore" or sincerely apologize immediately.;)

edit: added 'wink' I'm not messing with a dude bigger than me, or a girl;)

Why not? Bigger dudes are more fun to beat up then same size or littler dudes. More of a challenge imo. :D

If I throw my disc in the water & then I leave, more power to the guy who goes into the water & gets it out. He can keep it! He did the work to go get it out of the water when I did not! If I leave I consider that a release of my ownership of said disc! JMHO!
If I want 'my' disc back then I should be a lot more friendly with the disc retriever. Perhaps offer them a cold beer or other reward (;))for getting my disc back to me! :thmbup:

Hmmm.....wonder what you mean by that :\

Latest posts