• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Way To Deal With Theft Accusation?

To all those with the "if he didnt get it out of the water right away, he loses ownership" crowd;

There are a handful of reasons why someone would not grab it right away. Not grabbing it immediately after it goes in does not mean it is yours if you feel like grabbing it right then.
I feel like this is common sense, but waiting til the end of your round to get waist deep into some water, or until you can get your retriever after the round, does not equal abandonment of property :doh::doh:

I know its a necro post but good lord man. I'm not sure what 'crazy world' you live in... but carrying a gun in your disc golf bag???

Not to be contrary, but I can envision at least a couple of scenarios where this would not seem too extreme.

On the course we are currently building, the coyotes outnumber the golfers by a large margin. Most are docile and will disappear when humans get too close, but a couple of large males have definitely lost their fear of humans and can/will/have challenge(d) for space. Add a cougar or two (not the good kind), and carrying a deterrent seems reasonable. Pepper spray works like crap in the wind and, at its effective range, allows four legged predators to get way too close.

Another scenario were it might bode well is if you're playing on a rough, urban course were two legged predators abound, especially when playing late near nightfall.

Either way, probably better to have it on your person rather than ITB. ;)

What hasn't been accounted for is that the guy was upset about losing his disc. Throwing a disc into the pond sucks. He was probably still mad about it, and wasn't at his best. Was it unfair for him to project his anger on you? Sure. Is it somewhat understandable that he wasn't at his best? Yes.

This isn't a thing that will happen twice.

How did it get do many posts

I've played over 300 courses now and can remember 2 of them that were legitimately sketchy. Like, bums and crack heads bothering me sketchy. I no longer carry my side arm with me on a regular basis. I'm also very thankful that I never needed to draw it over the years. But if you know what you're doing, have your permit, and are responsible about it, there's no reason not to protect yourself by having access to a firearm as long as the places you're visiting allow so.

Not to be contrary, but I can envision at least a couple of scenarios where this would not seem too extreme.

On the course we are currently building, the coyotes outnumber the golfers by a large margin. Most are docile and will disappear when humans get too close, but a couple of large males have definitely lost their fear of humans and can/will/have challenge(d) for space. Add a cougar or two (not the good kind), and carrying a deterrent seems reasonable. Pepper spray works like crap in the wind and, at its effective range, allows four legged predators to get way too close.

Another scenario were it might bode well is if you're playing on a rough, urban course were two legged predators abound, especially when playing late near nightfall.

For the "urban" predators, huh?

Anything you find, anywhere, anytime. IS NEVER YOURS. IT STILL HAS A LEGITIMATE OWNER.

Read the law, people. Finders keepers is NOT a law.

Even the trash you put out on the street to be taken away. It belongs to you till you put it out, then it belongs to the gouvernement who is goping to collect it, burn it and hopefully get some energy back from burning the trash. Yes, even taking trash is stealing. Everything belongs to somebody AT ALL TIMES, and if you just walk up to it that somebody is certainly NOT you.

ffs.

/rant off

The second part is NOT correct. It is perfectly legal to go through someones trash if you put it out on the street. See California vs. Greenwood

Funny that a golden retriever is too heavy for some of you to carry in your bag during a round. So fragile you have to leave it in your vehicle. That is pathetic. These guys should be using carts.

Bear spray is useless for sure, sounds like you guys need to do some things to avoid human/animal interaction before someone gets eaten. coyotes aren't a big deal but a mountain lion is an angry ball of hate ready to bite your head and kill you.

Coyote attacks and mountain lion attacks are extremely rare. Most coyote attacks happen in southern California and involve children. It would be much more logical to carry a gun in case some ones dog attacked you then a coyote or mountain lion because it's astronomically more likely.

I've lived around wolves and coyotes for a long time and I've never felt threatened. If you carry a gun because you're afraid of predators you might want to sell your car, because you're millions of times more likely to get injured in a car accident then getting attacked by a coyote.

What you should do is discourage feeding of the animals and scare them off when you see them. This would stop the habituation you're currently seeing.

Latest posts