• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Way To Measure Distance

I always read about how a disc golfer throws a certain disc a certain distance. What is the best way to measure how far you throw?

I go to an open field with a 330ft tape measure. I measure it off, and I lay down soccer cones, every 20ft after the 200ft mark. By doing that you can check all you dics just like a Golfer does at a driving range. Make several throws with each disc, and you can get an idea of how far you can throw each disc.

This will also help you to see if you have two discs that fly the same , and you can trim down you bag a bit.

I use a football practice field (not the game field!).
Your distance marks are already there. If you are throwing farther, just pace off behind the goal posts. Not exactly "accurate", however you can get a good read.

for me (im about 5' 10'') one normal walking pace is about 3 feet. so i just walk it out and count the steps then do some simple math. its very much not exact, but i figure its close to around 10' or so.

I like baseball fields the best, there are lots of different sizes around. When I started, I use to go to the one with a 275' and now I go to the 375' and see how close I can get to the sign.

for me (im about 5' 10'') one normal walking pace is about 3 feet. so i just walk it out and count the steps then do some simple math. its very much not exact, but i figure its close to around 10' or so.

Have you actually measured your pace accurately? Most people overestimate the length of their stride. I prefer a football field, if you throw from the back of one endzone, it's 360' to the back of the other endzone with nice markers for distance the whole way (and I rarely throw further than that, so it's perfect for me).

I was thinking about making a measuring device - a string on a stake. I want to measure out every 25 feet and mark it on the string out to about 200 feet, then mark it every 10.
That way I can know how far I throw it, even if I misthrow and it goes off course...I just grab the string and walk it over there.
Don't know if it will work, but it would be cheaper than the 330 foot tape measure midnight has...I would love to get one of those, but just not in my budget right now!

I have a 200' thin rope I keep with my practice basket. It's got marks every 5 feet out to 50, then every 25 feet out to 200'. I can only measure distances for shorter approaches and long putts, but it is convenient. I've thought about getting a longer rope, I just already had this one and am too lazy to do all the measuring again.

The "string on a stake" is a good idea I think. I thought about coming up w/ a 30' length w/ a stake on at least one side. I figured it would be a good idea when you're not sure whether your putts are 30' or not. Or I guess it's 10 meters.

Like Nick C, I google map the park, except I just pick some permanent landmarks to throw from/to (i.e. baseball light posts).

No measured baseball fences at this park to use. :|

I count my strides as 3 feet. I've measured my strides before and it's pretty accurate, I'd say +/-5%. Unless, of course, there are steep inclines involved but in that case you're either really long or really short from a normal throw anyway so why bother measuring it.

I count my strides as 3 feet. I've measured my strides before and it's pretty accurate, I'd say +/-5%. Unless, of course, there are steep inclines involved but in that case you're either really long or really short from a normal throw anyway so why bother measuring it.

Bingo! That's what I do. I'd say that's pretty close (+/-5%). It may not be completely accurate but it gets you into the ballpark.

I agree with mashnut on this one...Have you measured out your steps? I'm 6'4" and it takes me one full stride to walk 3 feet. I always thought being the height that I am and my long stride that I would have a stride of 3' or more, but when I actually measured it, I was surprised that I need to take a slightly stretched out stride to be 3'.

I have had most success with measuring my throws on a middle school football field. I just throw from one endline to the other, there are lines every 5 yards so it is easy to calculate your distances.

I like baseball fields the best, there are lots of different sizes around. When I started, I use to go to the one with a 275' and now I go to the 375' and see how close I can get to the sign.

This is what I do.. go check out the high school baseball field. You'll get a good idea of how far you can throw. :D

I do this too. And I don't particularly care that it isn't perfectly accurate. If I'm throwing seventy paces one day, and then eighty a week or two later, that's an improvement that's measurable. It doesn't matter that I don't know if it's exactly 210 to 240.

I have grooved my step to equal little less than 1yrd or 3feet from ball golf to measure distance but recently started using soccer field 360ft and go end line to opp goal. then 18yrd box is 54ft of end so if you get past that you are over 300ft. who doesn't love getting some more D

Make up your own measurment system, or just use something that sounds for but no one knows how far it really is. Like just tell yourself and everyone you play with "I throw a country mile".