• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beyond course design, tee pads, baskets, what amenities make a good course great?

We opened Langley Pond Disc Golf Park yesterday in South Carolina, and our department is looking to continue upon making this course stand out. I'm not a player, so tell me things about your favorite courses that improve the overall experience.

Glory holes in the bathrooms are always nice!

For real though you should start playing ( you're missing out) and ask the locals what could help.

... and more bathrooms, year 'round.

Also, signs pointing to the next tee.

Benches every few holes and a bathroom available probably top my list. I think bag hangers are overrated but some people love them. Trash cans are a necessity if you don't want trash strewn all over the course.

A kiosk or something at the beginning of the course with room for flyers, club/tournament info is really useful. Scorecards. If the course isn't a pushover signage becomes really important with par, distance and next tee info.

It's always nice to see some art or alternative aesthetic to make you feel like you're at a special course. For example, the Rockness Monster in Roxboro, NC has little dragons denoting the different tees.

Benches and trash cans. Players are more likely to pick up stray trash if they don't have to carry it too far to throw away.

I will second good signage. Some courses really don't need it, where the next tee starts directly after the basket. However, many courses can be confusing as to where to go next to an amateur playing it for the first time. It can be as easy as putting a small wooden arrow on the basket pointing in the direction of the next tee. You find the scraps of wood and it's free.

As BrotherDave alluded, the amenities depend on the type of course.
For example, if you have a soft, beginner-level course, playgrounds, Rules Signs, etc.
It looks like the course, at 7100ft, is probably an intermediate to advanced design.

For that kind of course, one that may host tournaments and leagues, a shelter and benches bathrooms and signs and good course maintenance are most important. What I mean by course maintenance is that limbs and shrubs that creep into fairway line of flight are cut back occasionally and ground clutter like fallen limbs are removed.

Trash cans are a mistakes. Signs explaining that the course is a carry-in, carry-out location and requesting that the course stay litter free are not only more effective, they're way less work. The trashiest courses I've seen are the ones with trash cans.

We opened Langley Pond Disc Golf Park yesterday in South Carolina, and our department is looking to continue upon making this course stand out. I'm not a player, so tell me things about your favorite courses that improve the overall experience.

Thanks for asking---and a huge thanks for putting in this course, and committing it making it great. I haven't played it yet, but friends of mine who have regard it highly.

But be aware that amenities don't make a good course great. The right property, and course design, are everything. Or almost everything. The amenities make a good course better, and a great course even greater.

I'll second the suggestions everyone else has given.

Good, easily available maps certainly sweeten a first-time visit.

The degree to which a disc golf course is on a disc-golf-only part of the property, and the less overlap with other park users, the better. We share pretty well, but disc golf is more enjoyable when we don't have to wait for wanderers to clear the fairway, or have to warn people to watch out in case our throws go astray. I don't know if Langley Pond is already on exclusive land but, if so, I advise not encroaching too much on it with future projects.

Trash cans are a mistakes. Signs explaining that the course is a carry-in, carry-out location and requesting that the course stay litter free are not only more effective, they're way less work. The trashiest courses I've seen are the ones with trash cans.

Yup.

It all depends on what kind of budget you are working with and what kind of maintenance you are willing to cover/handle. I would suggest talking with your designer (if you hired one). He/she should have no trouble pointing you in the right direction.

Thanks for asking---and a huge thanks for putting in this course, and committing it making it great. I haven't played it yet, but friends of mine who have regard it highly.

But be aware that amenities don't make a good course great. The right property, and course design, are everything. Or almost everything. The amenities make a good course better, and a great course even greater.

I'll second the suggestions everyone else has given.

Good, easily available maps certainly sweeten a first-time visit.

The degree to which a disc golf course is on a disc-golf-only part of the property, and the less overlap with other park users, the better. We share pretty well, but disc golf is more enjoyable when we don't have to wait for wanderers to clear the fairway, or have to warn people to watch out in case our throws go astray. I don't know if Langley Pond is already on exclusive land but, if so, I advise not encroaching too much on it with future projects.

I also second this post

A shaded picnic area to the left of a green so that I can claim to accidentally shank towards the LARPERs

A shaded picnic area to the left of a green so that I can claim to accidentally shank towards the LARPERs

Great first impression that you are making on what sounds to be a non player that is helping to get a course in.

I will second that Course Design and Great Property is what makes a course great.

Cherry on top is proper signage, course map, next tee signs, benches.

Lost and found safe box is pretty cool addition.... typically part of the kiosk.

Thanks for your part in getting another course in the ground!

Regular, consistent maintenance also goes a long way. If the grass is always kept cut, briars suppressed, fallen trees cleared, damages repaired, it makes a difference. I know parks have budget restraints and competing demands from users but, if you ask what the park can do to make the course its best---this.

Steilacoom in Tacoma is a great example of this---course has been there 25 years, and the city has suppressed trimming, so the original throwing lanes are very occluded.

Yes and no. The key here is are the trash cans regularly emptied by the park employees? If yes - they can be a great asset. If no....they are inviting disaster. Thinking of 2 courses I've played with lots of cans. One is in a state park with cans built into every tee sign and these are emptied daily in the summer by the parks dept. This is one of the cleanest courses I've played. On the other end...another course I've played has cans everywhere and they are only emptied by well meaning DGers. In reality, they are usually overflowing and folks take that as an invitation to just chuck their crap on the ground next to it. It is always a mess.

Latest posts