• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beyond Disc Golf

Simon doesnt strike me as the flea market type but I dont think I've ever seen beige logo-less hats for sale anywhere other than flea markets.

Then to double down with a GREY logo-less hat!?!?

Must've been a sweet 1 for 10$, 2 for 8$ sale going on!

I shall tune in to each following episode as I need to know how many terrible flea market hats Simon has

Bad name for the first episode, and not the best thing to focus on either. Fennario isn't Vermont's best kept secret. Fennario is a private, exclusive, invite only course. Honestly a lame thing to be promoting IMO

Bad name for the first episode, and not the best thing to focus on either. Fennario isn't Vermont's best kept secret. Fennario is a private, exclusive, invite only course. Honestly a lame thing to be promoting IMO

The show wasn't really promoting the disc golf course....that was a small part of it. The show was about how the guy got into disc golf (a bet with another guy as to how good he could be in one year), what he is doing (brewing beer and hosting the Money Matches), and what went into creating the course. That's why they use the term Beyond Disc Golf....they are going beyond the actual playing to see how people got involved, what types of things they are doing because of disc golf, etc. We may see a show where they talk to a course designer for a pro tour course. We know there's one coming up about the making of minis - because the OP of this thread is on it.

Since the episodes all seem to have been completed before the first one 'aired', it would be nice to see an episode list. That way, we can be sure to catch the ones that really interest us.

The show wasn't really promoting the disc golf course....that was a small part of it. The show was about how the guy got into disc golf (a bet with another guy as to how good he could be in one year), what he is doing (brewing beer and hosting the Money Matches), and what went into creating the course. That's why they use the term Beyond Disc Golf....they are going beyond the actual playing to see how people got involved, what types of things they are doing because of disc golf, etc. We may see a show where they talk to a course designer for a pro tour course. We know there's one coming up about the making of minis - because the OP of this thread is on it.

Since the episodes all seem to have been completed before the first one 'aired', it would be nice to see an episode list. That way, we can be sure to catch the ones that really interest us.

the episode is centered around a private disc golf league at a private disc golf course, which is not open for play to the public. I've been there. it's a cool course. it is SO far away from what I would want to be promoting Vermont disc golf wise that I have to think the only reason they did this episode is because the last time worlds was in Vermont, this course hosted an event with the pros and Simon was there. so they wanted to go back.

sharing a clique-y group of guys playing an exclusive private course is so far away from what I like about disc golf in general but SPECIFICALLY Vermont disc golf.

I enjoyed watching this episode. It is cool to see that this place exists off the grid, so to speak, and outside organized professional disc golf.

I thought it was really good. It was the story of a guy that fell in love with disc golf and the community he created. It seems like they have a small group of friends that really enjoy each other's company. If they let in everyone who wanted to play it would destroy the small community they have. It would be a lot more stress and headache for the owner too.

If Fiddlehead wasn't such a deep rooted part of the community, then I'd complain that I just watched a well-disguised 40 minute advertisement for their beer.

But, alas, it is a really good beer, and a really cool part of the region. Just needed more Folinos pizza.

It seems like they have a small group of friends that really enjoy each other's company. If they let in everyone who wanted to play it would destroy the small community they have. It would be a lot more stress and headache for the owner too.

yes, this is all true. I still don't like the idea of celebrating an uber exclusive invitation only private course as "Vermont's best kept secret". I live in Vermont and play disc golf in Vermont and this is exactly the opposite of what Vermont disc golf typically represents to me. Private vs public, exclusive vs open. Might not ever get a chance to focus on or show off Vermont disc golf (outside of worlds) like this again

yes, this is all true. I still don't like the idea of celebrating an uber exclusive invitation only private course as "Vermont's best kept secret". I live in Vermont and play disc golf in Vermont and this is exactly the opposite of what Vermont disc golf typically represents to me. Private vs public, exclusive vs open. Might not ever get a chance to focus on or show off Vermont disc golf (outside of worlds) like this again

You can always propose an idea to Jomez or another production company.

You never really did have this chance to focus on or show off Vermont disc golf. I'm sure every location has it's own story, but this was cool to me. I'm very interested to see what other stories Jomez has to show us.

To me this was a good glimpse at something I would never have otherwise seen. But I can see as a local how you see things different from the rest of the disc golf world. We have our own stories where I live too, and this episode helped me put things in a much different perspective.

1. I liked it overall (maybe the concept more than this particular episode). Simon is the exact personality that this kind of show needs to succeed.

2. Weird episode name/description. Doesn't seem like a secret, or well kept. It's like calling a U.S. Senator "America's best kept secret job". Exclusivity does not equal secret. Typically this kind of description would be applied to something people can do, but just didn't know about.

3. For as much as they talked about the maintenance of the course and all that...it didn't look that nice. I mean it looked fine for a guy's backyard course...but it felt like the course might have been nicer than the few shots they showed of it? Would have liked to see more of it.

4. The addition of Jeff Spring also seemed...weird. Definitely took the vibe from "cool little group of friends with their own course" to "oh, they made the episode because this guy is friends with Jeff Spring".

5. I've never heard Simon sound so fake/forced as when he was doing the narration stuff at the beginning. Simon's jam is authenticity, and it just sounded so forced and scripted. I think he even mentioned how uncomfortable the scripted parts of the show were for him on a podcast...but it showed (if only because it's such stark contrast to his normal vibe).

6. Is it me? Or did nobody on this episode really come off as likeable? Simon does (obviously, because who doesn't like Simon)...but pretty much everyone else featured in the episode seemed like someone I wouldn't really care to play a round with.

7. Best/most underrated part/why did they include this line...when the guy was talking about how the people who played there weren't really good friends or anything. I get it, I'm sure it's true. But it seemed like they were trying to paint this picture of a close-knit group of guys getting together every other Wednesday...and then the dude busts out the line about how they aren't really that good of friends, they just like to play disc golf together.

8. Like the idea of the series, looking forward to what other aspects they get into. Simon's curiosity could be a real propellant for some cool episodes.

You can always propose an idea to Jomez or another production company.

You never really did have this chance to focus on or show off Vermont disc golf. I'm sure every location has it's own story, but this was cool to me. I'm very interested to see what other stories Jomez has to show us.

To me this was a good glimpse at something I would never have otherwise seen. But I can see as a local how you see things different from the rest of the disc golf world. We have our own stories where I live too, and this episode helped me put things in a much different perspective.

Heck, you just made me think of an idea for a future Jomez series. Find the most played course in each of the 50 states and visit them. Discuss how it came to be, why it is the most played, and the good, bad, ugly about it.

1. I liked it overall (maybe the concept more than this particular episode). Simon is the exact personality that this kind of show needs to succeed.

2. Weird episode name/description. Doesn't seem like a secret, or well kept. It's like calling a U.S. Senator "America's best kept secret job". Exclusivity does not equal secret. Typically this kind of description would be applied to something people can do, but just didn't know about.

3. For as much as they talked about the maintenance of the course and all that...it didn't look that nice. I mean it looked fine for a guy's backyard course...but it felt like the course might have been nicer than the few shots they showed of it? Would have liked to see more of it.

4. The addition of Jeff Spring also seemed...weird. Definitely took the vibe from "cool little group of friends with their own course" to "oh, they made the episode because this guy is friends with Jeff Spring".

5. I've never heard Simon sound so fake/forced as when he was doing the narration stuff at the beginning. Simon's jam is authenticity, and it just sounded so forced and scripted. I think he even mentioned how uncomfortable the scripted parts of the show were for him on a podcast...but it showed (if only because it's such stark contrast to his normal vibe).

6. Is it me? Or did nobody on this episode really come off as likeable? Simon does (obviously, because who doesn't like Simon)...but pretty much everyone else featured in the episode seemed like someone I wouldn't really care to play a round with.

7. Best/most underrated part/why did they include this line...when the guy was talking about how the people who played there weren't really good friends or anything. I get it, I'm sure it's true. But it seemed like they were trying to paint this picture of a close-knit group of guys getting together every other Wednesday...and then the dude busts out the line about how they aren't really that good of friends, they just like to play disc golf together.

8. Like the idea of the series, looking forward to what other aspects they get into. Simon's curiosity could be a real propellant for some cool episodes.

#7. I'm okay with that. I play with a few groups and I'm not 'outside of disc golf friends' with them. I like them, they might like me, but we don't hang together outside of a disc golf round. Other than disc golf, we really don't have similar likes. But get us together for a round of disc golf and we are friends/buddies.

It was an ok start.

I'll keep watching because it was good, but it was far from great... but plenty of time to grow and get better as a production.

#7. I'm okay with that. I play with a few groups and I'm not 'outside of disc golf friends' with them. I like them, they might like me, but we don't hang together outside of a disc golf round. Other than disc golf, we really don't have similar likes. But get us together for a round of disc golf and we are friends/buddies.

I thought it was honest, and it's how I feel about a lot of the people I play with. I just thought it went a bit against the story they were trying to tell. It seemed like a story focused on a few individuals who did seem pretty close...then just some random guy saying that. I didn't have a problem with it, i was just surprised they included it.

I need to practice being better at explaining my thoughts online cause you pretty much nailed it. especially #2

re:#3 - it's been a couple years since I played so I can't speak to the state of it now, but it's definitely a backyard kinda course. with access to some amazing and varied terrain for sure, but it is not maintained to the level of a pro level course or even some/many public courses.

re: #7 - yea some of the guys ARE very good friends, but the whole group is definitely not one big best friend group

Agreed. When we were filming everything was 99% natural, only the intro was really scripted, and it was pretty entertaining watching it go down as they did like 20 takes and Simon hated every second of it. There was only one other moment in the show that was slightly scripted, and they probably should have done at least a second take of it, because it's fairly integral to the process, and it was pretty bad, lol

It's literally 'beyond' disc golf - wouldn't more disc golf footage be counter to the point of the series?

What are some things beyond disc golf? - the friendships that only exist within the framework of the sport, the dedication and labor of things related to disc golf that don't have to do with playing or improving, and the different ways that disc golf has grown (like the DGPT).

If that's their goal, then they did it. Also, Jomez didn't need to include Simon talking about how uncomfortable he is in scripted situations - "I'm good at acting like I know what I'm doing, so I think I pulled it off." That seemed to be a nod to his role not as a voice actor but a genuine person.

It's literally 'beyond' disc golf - wouldn't more disc golf footage be counter to the point of the series?

What are some things beyond disc golf? - the friendships that only exist within the framework of the sport, the dedication and labor of things related to disc golf that don't have to do with playing or improving, and the different ways that disc golf has grown (like the DGPT).

If that's their goal, then they did it. Also, Jomez didn't need to include Simon talking about how uncomfortable he is in scripted situations - "I'm good at acting like I know what I'm doing, so I think I pulled it off." That seemed to be a nod to his role not as a voice actor but a genuine person.

Probably, but then they spent SO much time talking about cutting down trees and who maintains the course and how they do it and all that. And then the whole "if you couldn't show someone a picture, how would you describe this course"...but you CAN show us pictures...let us see it! I didn't think they necessarily needed more footage of playing...but I felt like they spent a lot of time talking about the course, and very little time actually showing us much of it.