• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Foot BIG shoe problem...

guitarmanst

Par Member
I'm 6ft2 195lbs and normally wear a 13w for shoes. I have tried Merrell Barefoot ( size 13) Merrell Moab WP (13w) Keen Marshall WP (14) among others and others...

My shoe question is this

"I have wide toes ( 13w if not 14) and a smaller diameter ankle (13)"
-I have yet to find a shoe with appropriate room for my toes as well as still being tight enough around my ankle to provide proper support without me stopping every couple holes to :readjust: my laces... its a real drag :wall::wall::wall:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. So far the barefoots were perfect but wore no socks ( wooded courses in the midwest are treacherous for branches and other odds and ends getting lodged in your shoe) The Moabs were big and clunky though light but not durable.. the Keen Marshalls right away were ideal when I wore big padding for socks but still I ran into the issue that once broken in I still cannot get enough support around my upper foot and ankle with out cutting off all circulation to my entire foot, but I atleast had room to wiggle my toes in a larger shoe...

:gross: I got nothing lol. Thanks for any assistance, Big Foot DG unite!

You sir... Just blew my god damn mind!
-thank you, seriously did not see this response coming. Really appreciate it!

Tie your shoes differently (and I'm serious)

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/custom-tie-your-running-shoes?page=single

It makes a big difference.

size 10.5, but with a wide/high volume forefoot.. and a narrow heel.. (I prefer Asolos and Salomons for shoes at any rate.. Keens are comfortable, but they just break down too fast for me)

Once again seriously... I am set! and I do not have to drop another 150$ on a pair of shoes unwillingly :clap::clap: Does everyone but me know this information cause its a life saver

*mind f'ing blown*

That was a great link, dysmike!!! I knew that properly tying shoes could make a huge difference, but several of those techniques are completely new to me.

I'm in the same boat (pun intended :p) with big feet, a wide toe box, and a narrow heel. My go-to shoes for the last year or so have been the Altra Lone Peaks. They're a zero drop shoe with tons of room in the toe box to allow your toes to splay naturally, built to be rugged with an aggressive outsole, and a flexible but sturdy rock plate.

...check out the Altra Lone Peak 1.5. Minimalist (zero drop) but made to be rugged and take the abuse that trail running and hiking can dish out. This shoe is my shoe of choice for both hiking and dg because I too value a roomy toe box where my toes can naturally splay out on rugged terrain.

As far as wear goes, I'm a toe dragger and the toe bumper has held up incredibly on both pairs that I have. While it shows wear, the integrity of the shoe is not being compromised at all. The tread pattern is very open and the lugs are aggressive enough for all terrain. I have maybe 200 rounds (minimum) on each pair and the soles are just now starting to show some wear. They're very lightweight and breathable, and even if/when they get wet, they dry out very quickly (I always wear Darn Tough merino wool socks with these shoes which helps the shoe dry quickly). These shoes do have a rock guard built into the insole, but with just enough cushioning to protect you from those rocks and minimal impact, they still give you a great feel for the ground. I can't recommend these enough if you value a wide toe box and a true zero drop in a rugged minimalist shoe. :thmbup:

Being a backpacker with funky feet.. you learn to love alternate lacings ;)

Yup, I have high volume feet and wide toes with a narrow heel so I've been tying my hiking boots strangely for years. :)

I was going to post that link when I saw the thread name and read what was wrong, good job dysmike, I have the a weird foot, size 15 super narrow, with long toes and also big ass shoes! I use the heal one and it makes my feet feel amazing.

Being a backpacker with funky feet.. you learn to love alternate lacings ;)

Yup, I have high volume feet and wide toes with a narrow heel so I've been tying my hiking boots strangely for years. :)

I also have wide toes and narrow heel. I adjust the laces for my toes, to allow room, then I tie a knot in the laces. Then I can pull tight on the remaining laces to get a good fit around my heel and ankle without strangling my toes. This is also important for me to prevent flare ups of plantar fasciitis. My PF is aggravated if my heel slips up and down in the shoe. So I need loose laces for my big toes and tight laces to keep my heel in place.

Last edited:

Latest posts