• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Money Skins

And FWIW, I've always been a little suspicious about how much the pros tend to fall over themselves to praise Eagle's Crossing. I'm sure its an excellent venue, but it feels like maybe the Hype Train has jumped the rails.

Local friend just got back from there and couldn't stop talking about how it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. He's been around the block, it must be really good.

It was a year ago. They had wifi available for navigation purposes on part of the property.

One imagines live-streaming an event there would be difficult. Is the coverage for this year's skins going to be live? If so, that may partially answer any questions on that front.

On the website it says that cable has been laid on the course. Given the huge dollars spent on this course I assume it means it is literally wired up for cameras and ready for broadcasting.

Seems like their idea might be to test whether pay-per-view with few spectators can work financially since the surrounding area apparently doesn't have the hospitality infrastructure (lodging, food service) to handle up to a thousand coming to spectate live.

On the website it says that cable has been laid on the course. Given the huge dollars spent on this course I assume it means it is literally wired up for cameras and ready for broadcasting.

Hadn't heard that... Or a 2nd course bring installed. Both are pretty impressive if true.

From a pro perspective, I hear a LOT of the same things in general when talking about a specific TYPE of course "I loved that course, it's amazing to play a course that's dedicated to disc golf only and has the autonomy to change things" (i.e. no public parks where you need 6 months of approvals to make changes, no mixed-use spaces, no temporary courses on golf courses, etc).

First, I am excited to see hardwired cameras all over the course, and what that does for coverage.

Second, I kinda wonder if Eagles Crossing is trying hard to get to host a DGPT event. (Mid America and Des Moines got canned, so there's maybe room.)

Third, I'm leaning toward not buying the coverage, and waiting to see if it's eventually available free. I don't think an unsanctioned 'exhibition' kind of event is PPV material.

First, I am excited to see hardwired cameras all over the course, and what that does for coverage.

Second, I kinda wonder if Eagles Crossing is trying hard to get to host a DGPT event. (Mid America and Des Moines got canned, so there's maybe room.)

Third, I'm leaning toward not buying the coverage, and waiting to see if it's eventually available free. I don't think an unsanctioned 'exhibition' kind of event is PPV material.

No we didn't. End of June.

I suspect their goals are much higher than a DGPT event though.

I mean you can say "per month" because it's valid for 30 days...but it's really just $15 for the PPV event.

agreed for this one event, but it is a channel. I would think they want to operate year round and not just one event in October.

Of course, they do produce content year round. I assume they have content that isn't available on regular Youtube.

agreed for this one event, but it is a channel. I would think they want to operate year round and not just one event in October.

Of course, they do produce content year round. I assume they have content that isn't available on regular Youtube.

Ahhh that makes sense. I can't get the links on their site to even go to a YouTube page...I assumed it was a one-time youtube event as well. I can't imagine they have enough content to justify $15/month to your point though.

I mean you can say "per month" because it's valid for 30 days...but it's really just $15 for the PPV event.

So it's Big Money Skins in more ways than one?

While I understand that people pay a lot more for a boxing/mma/wrestling PPV, I'm not one of those people. Good luck to the organizers, but I'll be fine not watching this one.

So it's Big Money Skins in more ways than one?

While I understand that people pay a lot more for a boxing/mma/wrestling PPV, I'm not one of those people. Good luck to the organizers, but I'll be fine not watching this one.

It's also multiple days I think. I don't honestly have a good sense on how entertaining the non-final days might be. I tend to think not that entertaining...but who knows? I'll be interested to see what people think afterwards.

I'm interested to see how this McGressive scoring system turns out. I've never heard of it.

I'm interested to see how this McGressive scoring system turns out. I've never heard of it.

Not sure if you're aware of golf scoring, but there's a "stableford" (or modified stableford) scoring system that golf at least USED to use for a tournament (not sure if they still do). This sounds like a modification of that...basically just rewards aggression (as the name suggests, though not sure I like the name they've created) and doesn't punish blowing up on a hole. Sounds a bit similar to what Wysocki uses in some of his Iron Man matches (I think, only seen a couple of those).

Should mean more exciting shots...people going for big throws because the benefit of going eagle, bogey, bogey is better than simply going par, par, par...even though traditional scoring would call those equivalent.

Not sure if you're aware of golf scoring, but there's a "stableford" (or modified stableford) scoring system that golf at least USED to use for a tournament (not sure if they still do). This sounds like a modification of that...basically just rewards aggression (as the name suggests, though not sure I like the name they've created) and doesn't punish blowing up on a hole. Sounds a bit similar to what Wysocki uses in some of his Iron Man matches (I think, only seen a couple of those).

Should mean more exciting shots...people going for big throws because the benefit of going eagle, bogey, bogey is better than simply going par, par, par...even though traditional scoring would call those equivalent.

I've watched a little bit of Ricky's Iron man game and there is a reset that can occur in that. Don't really know how it works or if this follows a similar format.

Guess we will see how it goes.

Latest posts