• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Biggest Disc Golf Pet Peeve

I also hate when people that aren't stoners act like us stoners are the unnormal ones. In reality we are all just disc golfers.

Discretion is the better part of valor.

If a stoner lights up in the woods, and there's no one around to see it, does he still commit a crime against society..? :\

Do something about it instead of just giving in. If a course is so poorly designed as to bring other uses into play, I get you. Ours is not that way. There is no picnic table in play. No play area. No anything but open space.

Much of our pain is self-chosen.

What kind of vigilante, self important, entitled tripe is this. Seriously, where does the, I'll be damned if I will compromise my fun for the safety of those around me, attitude even come from. We are not talking about some violation of your civil rights, we are saying don't throw a golf disc at anyone....ever. :doh:

"A picnic table is a picnic table?" So, I should physically displace the four geriatrics playing cards at the local park on a picnic table. :wall:

OK, is facebook closed??

"A picnic table is a picnic table?" So, I should physically displace the four geriatrics playing cards at the local park on a picnic table. :wall:

Yes. If they are not actually having a picnic, they've got to go. And if you accidentally injure one of them, it is OK. You've got insurance, right??

I wonder how much damage getting hit in the head by a disc would do. Like a hyzer bomb that is really moving as it comes down.

A bit specific but...the fact that at my home course the first 4 holes often have people not playing disc golf occupying the fairways. Whether it is flying kites, rc airplanes or even soccer practice for little tykes. The peeve is not that they are there, but rather that these holes occupy this space. It is right in the middle of the park, on the inside of a walking trail, and this space should be available for these types of use at all times as well as the disc golf course being used for disc golf at all times. Relocating all 4 of these holes and possibly consolidating into 3 holes (It's a 19 hole course) would solve this issue but will never happen.

ha! I just read the last couple pages of this thread leading up to my post...seems to me, I side with the rational people. Played with a guy who was on a course where people were using one of the baskets to grill whole chickens, had them hanging from the top with the basket lined with foil and charcoal. People who don't play the sport are ignorant to what it is and often times are fascinated when they find out what we are doing. I get annoyed with non disc golfers occupying the course but at the same time understand it's not their fault. I will normally approach and tell them what we are doing and to keep an eye in the sky for rouge plastic. They understand, we throw and they watch in awe. No harm, no foul and everybody goes on their merry way.

People (generally non-players) who are unaware they are on a course. Two of the courses close to where I live play through city parks and I understand that not everyone realizes what is going on but don't take a ****ing sun nap on the fairway or let your kids play soccer near a basket especially when on the other side of the park is an open field that barely gets used.

I wonder how much damage getting hit in the head by a disc would do. Like a hyzer bomb that is really moving as it comes down.

A few months ago a course was pulled after an incident. The woman was pretty badly injured; I can't remember the details but think she lost the sight in one eye.

(It was, by all indications, an atrociously dangerous design in a multi-use park.)

I am not a betting man, yet am tempted to wager that you have never said hello to your park workers. Or perhaps I am the only person (or one of the few) on this forum that...gasp...loves people! I talk to our county parks people every time they are on the course at the same time as me. I know most of them by name, and sometimes even have a cup of coffee with them. Even had two ask if they could throw a disc to see how different it was from a Frisbee. I always make it a point to thank them for the thankless work they do taking care of the course/parks I use on a weekly basis (I do the same thing with motel housekeeping and oddly enough always end up with the cleanest room?). Most are shocked and say they are only used to complaints...just like most people with a job....the only thing is their job coincides with our hobby. Cut them some slack and thank them for the work they do....my guess is kindness makes most people respond with the same. Heck ours make it a point to come over and talk for a few every time I am out there. My guess is most are pretty cool if given a chance to show it. But then again I am weird I love people...Like Barbara Streisand once sang (and no I don't listen to her) "people are the most wonderful people in the world".
You're exactly right. It's sort of like, not all lawyers are lying, cheating, thieving, conniving, ambulance chasing, shyster charlatans, but enough of them are, that they've pretty much painted the whole profession as such. In our local area, there are several distinct, different governmental entities with which to deal....one is showing a real open willingness to be contributive and supportive....one is pretty much totally indifferent, and one is openly oppositional, to the point of one of their employees exclaiming one day, "I hate mowing the disc golf course!", to which it was pointed out to him that he's mowing the park, that includes a disc gold course is. I shouldn't have been so vaguely all-encompassing.

This is incorrect, unless it's on private land. In a public, multi-use park, disc golf will always lose to someone being hit by a disc. It doesn't matter if they have 100 acres to go and have a picnic. You don't throw on people who have just as much right to be there as you do.

I'm not saying that I throw on people in the fairway with other space at their disposal.

But when I hear this argument, all I can think of is, I'm going to go sit and read a book at the bottom of the slide in the playground, then yell at people's kids for sliding into me while I'm exercising my right to use the park.

I'm not saying that I throw on people in the fairway with other space at their disposal.

But when I hear this argument, all I can think of is, I'm going to go sit and read a book at the bottom of the slide in the playground, then yell at people's kids for sliding into me while I'm exercising my right to use the park.
:clap:

This is a better analogue if you use an invisible slide that nobody cares about (except for those athletes who couldn't cut it on monkey bars)

4 stitches, some glue, a concussion and a couple thousand dollar bill that the PDGA neglected to pay for.

This is a better analogue if you use an invisible slide that nobody cares about (except for those athletes who couldn't cut it on monkey bars)

More like a slide that resembles a typical slide, nut not enough that it is instantly recognizable, and that people keep referring to as a "downward medal play device." Most people have vaguely heard of this contraption, but when someone says it's a "playground slide" or describes it as "like a slide but using slide..."

Okay I'm getting twisted on my own metaphors here.

Why should the PDGA pay for it?

I was a spotter.

When Brian Graham shakes your hand and promises that it will be taken care of.

And then when you submit the bills to their insurance company and they give you the run around over and over again.

So yeah.

Latest posts