• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Biggest Disc Golf Pet Peeve

I hate when ppl bring there dogs. I just feel like they get in the way if you wanna take your dog for a walk just go for a walk.

I don't mind if they have them on a leash. If they poop though, they better have a bag ready.

My pet peeve is when the people you're playing with head down the fairway before you've taken your shot. I hate having to continually ask them to not do that.

Seriously, if you can't alter your neanderthal behaviors with kids around, I think it says a lot about you as a person. How about a little common decency instead of self-righteous, don't-tell-me-what-to-do ridiculousness?

Obviously common sense and basic respect is dead, at least on the disc golf course (if you believe what you hear in this forum).

I hate the guys who blast music, but turn it off when they putt, once they finish they turn it back on, even though others are putting. :\

Seriously, if you can't alter your neanderthal behaviors with kids around, I think it says a lot about you as a person. How about a little common decency instead of self-righteous, don't-tell-me-what-to-do ridiculousness?

Obviously common sense and basic respect is dead, at least on the disc golf course (if you believe what you hear in this forum).

It's also a reminder of the limits of trying to educate others.

You can teach new players traditions and etiquette specific to the sport but, after that, if they've reached adulthood without their parents teaching them, or without figuring it out for themselves, your chances of teaching them civil behaviour are pretty slim.

It also reminds me of the John Wooden quote that I paraphrase in a thread about once a year, and it's about that time:

"Sports don't build character. They reveal it."

LOVE some of these! They made me think, "Hell, YES!!" Litterers/vandals; shirtless/crappily dressed players; unruly kids and dogs; 'heave and hope' forest holes/courses....but at the moment, I'd say my biggest peeve is the standard, stereotypical, slothful, surly, insubordinate, mid-/lower-level grunt government employees/park 'workers' who detest disc golf (or any other activity, actually) for making them do some real work, like getting off their big riding mowers to 'weed eat' around a basket for a whole thirty seconds or so....or anything that takes away from their 'X-box time on the city dime'.

I am not a betting man, yet am tempted to wager that you have never said hello to your park workers. Or perhaps I am the only person (or one of the few) on this forum that...gasp...loves people! I talk to our county parks people every time they are on the course at the same time as me. I know most of them by name, and sometimes even have a cup of coffee with them. Even had two ask if they could throw a disc to see how different it was from a Frisbee. I always make it a point to thank them for the thankless work they do taking care of the course/parks I use on a weekly basis (I do the same thing with motel housekeeping and oddly enough always end up with the cleanest room?). Most are shocked and say they are only used to complaints...just like most people with a job....the only thing is their job coincides with our hobby. Cut them some slack and thank them for the work they do....my guess is kindness makes most people respond with the same. Heck ours make it a point to come over and talk for a few every time I am out there. My guess is most are pretty cool if given a chance to show it. But then again I am weird I love people...Like Barbara Streisand once sang (and no I don't listen to her) "people are the most wonderful people in the world".

Do you have kids?

Organized play. Nothing like locking down an entire course for the whole day, and only getting two rounds out of it. Oh, and having to pay $25 for the "pleasure" of the company of overtightened wanna be "pro athletes" looking to "grow the game".
Casual play is the greatest format for this game.

2 of them under the age of 13.

I really hope you're not going to follow up with the "well of course it's different because you have kids" response.

Nope. Just gonna say you shouldn't expect people to change their behavior because of a choice you made. It's a little presumptuous.

I discovered another pet peeve today. The random scheduling of workdays. We have a club here in the Springs that works really hard to keep the courses in good shape, but for some reason they can't understand why holding workdays at 2:00 on a Wednesday is a bad idea. They obviously try to schedule when there is the least amount of players, but who can show up to work then?

They did it once on a Saturday and about 100 people showed up. We made the course look fabulous, but I think some people complained to the city and became an issue. It's silly. Really shows the disconnect between the parks department and the community. I guess it's not anybody fault 100 percent, more like a big miscommunication that negates all the people willing to provide free labor.

Apologies for the rant.

whining/complaining followed by inaction. annoying when my son does it, but straight pathetic from adults.

Nope. Just gonna say you shouldn't expect people to change their behavior because of a choice you made. It's a little presumptuous.

If I may be so bold to cut through the rhetoric, I think the point being made is that most disc golf courses are public, and, as such, should be played with a sense of decorum. It's almost the other side of the coin of the dog leash issue. It's a public area, you shouldn't have your dog off the leash. There's laws for a reason. No one should expect to be potentially hassled by an unleashed dog in a public area, just like no one should have to expect to hide their kids from improper behavior.

It all adds up to one thing: the wrong person sees it, and the course is in jeopardy.

If I may be so bold to cut through the rhetoric, I think the point being made is that most disc golf courses are public, and, as such, should be played with a sense of decorum. It's almost the other side of the coin of the dog leash issue. It's a public area, you shouldn't have your dog off the leash. There's laws for a reason. No one should expect to be potentially hassled by an unleashed dog in a public area, just like no one should have to expect to hide their kids from improper behavior.

It all adds up to one thing: the wrong person sees it, and the course is in jeopardy.

If we're talking about unlawful behavior, I totally agree. But if you're mad that someone is swearing or drinking or smoking cigarettes around your kids, ask them to stop or don't take your kids there anymore.

If we're talking about unlawful behavior, I totally agree. But if you're mad that someone is swearing or drinking or smoking cigarettes around your kids, ask them to stop or don't take your kids there anymore.

I understand the smoking cigarettes and drinking thing (If it's allowed in the park), but I mean can you really not stop cussing for the 1-5 minutes a child is around you? In Michigan I think it was illegal until 2002 to cruse in front of woman and children.

Do you go to your family events and act inappropriately around the kids there? Or around your friends' kids? I don't think it's too much to ask for people (read: disc golfers) to NOT smoke (illegal substances) and swear around kids on a disc golf course. If you think it is, maybe you're trying to hard to be crude.

This. It's a public place, not your home. You want to get high and act like a DB, then buy some land and build a private course.

I understand the smoking cigarettes and drinking thing (If it's allowed in the park), but I mean can you really not stop cussing for the 1-5 minutes a child is around you? In Michigan I think it was illegal until 2002 to cruse in front of woman and children.

Thank god we're past that puritanical time. Don't get me wrong, I think people probably should stop that behavior when kids are around, and I do. But parents shouldn't expect it or get upset when somebody doesn't change their own life because they decided to bring kids around. They can politely ask the person to stop, or they can leave, or both. But to get mad about it seems a little entitled to me.

Latest posts