• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Biggest Round Rating Differential in One Day

discgolfer25

Birdie Member
I played a tournament today in which I shot a 74, rated 758 in the first round and a 49 rated 953 for the second round for a difference of 195. I was wondering if that is possibly the biggest difference in round ratings in a single day in PDGA history.. Lol Can anyone beat that?

Wow. Did something just click, or were you not feeling well the first round?

I guarantee that folks have had bigger differential after a few missed hole penalties, I can't give specifics to tourney or person, but I know I've seen someone shoot like a 950 the first round, return late from lunch, miss like 6 holes and get a 500 something the second round...

Wow. Did something just click, or were you not feeling well the first round?

No excuse. I just played the worst round of my life in the first round. I took a 7 on an island hole at the start of the round and it went downhill from there. I knew I was way out of it after the first round so, I just went out and had fun. I relaxed and played my game in the second round.

I came up just short once, going from 767 to 947 (180 points). Mine wasn't a single day, but rounds 2 & 3.

I'd guess someone has done more, without special circumstances like missed holes. But it's still extraordinary.

My biggest differential in one day was 51 (798 to 840). Heck, my career differential is only 115 (740 to 855), and that 740 is my worst round by more than 40 points, after going OB a few times. I'm consistently mediocre.

I'd think that there might be some big differentials in tournaments where one round is played on a course with a lot of O.B., especially of the manufactured (rope) type. To briefly check this theory, I looked at Ledgestone from last year, where the Open division played the Eureka temp course (Northwood also had a lot of OB). Their two-round day was Saturday for rounds 2&3. I found a few pros that had a differential well over 100, including one that went 779 - 968, for a difference of 189 points. Now, I don't know for sure which pools they were in, so I don't know which courses they got which ratings for, but I would guess Eureka temp was one of them.

My biggest differential between rounds is a 174. Shot an 834 rated first round followed by a 1008 rated second round. It's only special for me because that was my first sanctioned 1000 rated round.

My first tournament:

I shot a 992 the first round. Was playing in Intermediate and leading all AMs. Being called a bagger. Followed it up with a 834 and lost in a playoff. 128 points in a two round tournament. They are my highest and lowest rated rounds ever in a tournament.

I had an advanced tournament back in 2008 that went 999, 890, 1011. Granted, that's only a 121 point swing, but saw lots of ups and downs...including my first 1000+ rated round.

I guarantee that folks have had bigger differential after a few missed hole penalties, I can't give specifics to tourney or person, but I know I've seen someone shoot like a 950 the first round, return late from lunch, miss like 6 holes and get a 500 something the second round...

Not the same day, but ... Chris Lee shot a 923-rated 89 round three, followed by a zero-rated 140 round 4 at the 2001 USDGC*. (To put that into perspective, Scott Stokely had the hot round, at a 1040-rated 60.) And, to REALLY add insult to injury, Lee shot a 1019-rated 65 second round!

But that's not the record: Jeffrey Shoup followed up a 983-rated 74 in round 2 with a zero-rated 95 in round 3! (He also probably holds the record for the largest improvement, having shot a zero-rated 91 in round 1.)

* Note that in 2001, USDGC rounds over 90 were assigned a rating of 0. Be that as it may, had actual ratings been calculated, Lee's 51 stroke (51 STROKES) drop between rounds 3 and 4 would almost assuredly be the highest round rating differential ever between completed rounds.

Back in '09, shot 984 first round, 884 second at a two course challenge.

Not the same day but same tournament, my brother shot a difference of 173 in the first to third round. Two different courses.

Last edited:
Not the same day, but ... Chris Lee shot a 923-rated 89 round three, followed by a zero-rated 140 round 4 at the 2001 USDGC*. (To put that into perspective, Scott Stokely had the hot round, at a 1040-rated 60.) And, to REALLY add insult to injury, Lee shot a 1019-rated 65 second round!
Funny you should mention Stokely, he was there and he and I actually shot the same on my 953 round :doh:

Wow these are some unbelievable swings. My biggest is 891 1st round, 983 second round (92 point swing). I still remember how crazy that day felt. I can't imagine how it feels to shoot 200 points different on the same day.

No excuse. I just played the worst round of my life in the first round. I took a 7 on an island hole at the start of the round and it went downhill from there. I knew I was way out of it after the first round so, I just went out and had fun. I relaxed and played my game in the second round.

Help me out here. How do you possibly get a 7 on an island hole (implying quadruple bogey) with the new/now enforcement of the Tour Manager standards for such holes. Do you mind describing the hole and telling us what happened?

781 to 995, thats me in last place back in 2004 http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/4564#MPO

Wow! hot round of the entire event and still finished DFL in your division. That is a classic!

Help me out here. How do you possibly get a 7 on an island hole (implying quadruple bogey) with the new/now enforcement of the Tour Manager standards for such holes. Do you mind describing the hole and telling us what happened?
Sure, I'll relive the horror for you. :D It was an island with the basket being 275 or so from the tee pad. A drop zone about 125 from the basket if I had to guess. Everyone in my group missed the island on the tee shot. (Shot 1) We go to the drop zone and I throw a forehand up shot that hits right at the base basket and the skips OB right about 15 feet or so from the basket. (Shot 3) We were told we needed to go back to the drop zone if we miss it again so, I did and left it about 25 short because I wasn't going long and going OB again (Shot 5). Missed my 25 footer :\ (Shot 6). Drop in (Shot 7).

Why is that so unusual, even with the new-ish mandate of getting special OB situations Tour Manager approved? The standards that they now want to hold these kinds of holes too aren't going to 100% prevent a player from blowing up once in a while.

Why even assume that this island hole needed Tour Manager approval at all? It's possible it's just a green surrounded by OB with normal unmodified/unrestricted OB rules in play, and he still went OB two or three times en route to his seven.

Latest posts