• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Biggest Round Rating Differential in One Day

If round ratings were actually normally distributed around a player's mean, a ratings difference of 67 points from one round to the next would happen about one in 10 times, with bigger differences as follows:

67 point difference, 1 in 10
105 point difference, 1 in 100
134 point difference, 1 in 1,000
159 point difference, 1 in 10,000
180 point difference, 1 in 100,000
200 point difference, 1 in 1,000,000
217 point difference, 1 in 10,000,000
234 point difference, 1 in 100,000,000

I guarantee that folks have had bigger differential after a few missed hole penalties, I can't give specifics to tourney or person, but I know I've seen someone shoot like a 950 the first round, return late from lunch, miss like 6 holes and get a 500 something the second round...

Missing holes is the best example. Someone missed several holes in 2006 at Augusta Worlds during the semis (I think at PK, McCray maybe?) that was near the top but they killed it upon returning so not always true as well.

I've definitely seen people shoot a 950 round first round, and then have some kind of OB meltdown and shoot in the low 800's second round.

In 2011 I had a tournament where I went from 749 to 924. First and second holes of a four course challenge.

I think my largest swings in rating are due to Indian Hills here in town. Checking out my history it looks like I've gone from 978 to 893 (Oakland back and Indian Hills) as well as 986 to 903 (same course order, different year) Those are my biggest same day 2 round ratings swings I can find.

I need to shoot better at Indian hills in big tournaments :wall:

My biggest swing was the first tournament of the year. Shot a 880 first round tied for 3rd and followed that up with 740 in the second round to finish in last place 10th.

My back just seized up and couldn't hit a fairway.

Though it is pretty typical for me to see a 50 to 60 point decrease from the first to second round due to my knee issues resulting in fatigue.

Not a huge one way swing but when you take the rebound into account its pretty ridiculous.

Rnd2 - 1015
Rnd3 - 893
Rnd4 - 999

I was 918 rated at the time, playing intermediate, won my first Int tournament and missed the FL bid to USDGC performance flight by less than a one stroke over 4 rounds. Everything about that weekend was a roller coaster.

http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/6388 - 2007 Brent Hambrick Memorial Open

The first round on the Hambrick Course annihilated me to the tune of 825. Second round I came back around on the Westside Course and shot my first ever 1000+ rated round. Things smoothed out on Sunday when I came back and shot a 955 that was closer to where I felt like my actual skill level was at the time. It was enough to get me out of the basement.

Just this past weekend a player in a local B tier shot 775 followed by a 985. By far the biggest I've seen.

Not quite that huge of a swing but played my one tourney for the year this weekend, shot 810/845/896 in the three rounds. At least they were headed in the right direction, 5-10 more rounds and I might have gotten competitive :)

Latest posts