• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bill Allen DGC, The Colony, TX 18 holes?

chopz33

Eagle Member
I've posted before that I'm still fairly new to the sport. I live within walking distance Bill Allen, it's a wonderful 9 hole course. I'm grateful to have this park in my neighborhood.http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=138
Ok so the other day I was looking on the internet at some City Council stuff and I saw that on the agenda for Dec, 08 meeting was to discuss a possible expansion to 18 holes....i decided to email the City and here are those transactions(i've taken out the last names)

To: Christie ######
Subject: Bill Allen Disc Golf Course

Hi, my name is Zack #### and I am a resident of TC and live across from the disc golf course at Bill Allen. I try to play several days a week and am very proud that we have the course in our community. I talk to a lot of other players at the park and there are people that come from all parts of DFW to play out little 9 hole course. The course is starting to get some national recognition, which I think is very, very good.
My reason for writing this email is because I was doing some searching on the internet a few days ago and had seen that during the last few City Council meetings that there was possibly some discussion about expanding the disc golf course, or there was to be at least some talk about the course. Can you help me find out if there is any truth about expanding the course to 18 holes. I think there is plenty of space to make this happen.
Anyways I'm hoping that you can help me and if not possibly forward my email to the right person. Thank you for taking the time to read my email.

Zack ####

and here is the reply

Zack,

Thanks for the email, we are always happy to discuss what's going on in the city and listen to new ideas. I don't think City Council has discussed the disc golf course at Bill Allen but the Community Development Corporation Board (CDC) did hear a presentation at their last meeting. One of our own department members, Chase ####, presented a very nice plan to the Board for an 18 hole course. The Board needs a little more information that should be presented at the next meeting in Feb. We are considering doing the work with some PARD staff (and volunteers if available). If you'd like to get more info, I'm sure Chase would be happy to talk with you, his phone # 972-624-#### ext 3; I've also copied him with this email. The CDC is in the final stages of a master plan for the city and they may want to see the priority list from that exercise first before committing to fund this but, it's certainly worth looking at.

If you have any other questions, feel free to call.

Thanks again,

pretty cool huh? this would be awesome. I did email Chase just now and asked him if i could have a peek at his 18 hold plan.

Bill Allen is a neat little course as it is. I hope they don't ruin it when they add 9 holes like some others I won't mention.

well the back 9 would have to be somewhere behind the actual park, there is plenty of open field back by the fishing pond. I'm hoping that this Chase guy lets me take a peek at his plans

Keep us updated. I have played Bill Allen a lot and really enjoy the course as is. Glad to hear TC is willing to put some time into the course, just hope the course doesn't get too jam packed.

Wouldn't mind peeking at some preliminary layout on the placement of the other holes if you get your hands on them.

Bill Allen is a neat little course as it is. I hope they don't ruin it when they add 9 holes like some others I won't mention.
I couldn't agree more. More holes are good but don't mess up a good thing. i hope to get there this summer.

ok well here is a little update with this for those in the area that are interested...here are the emails that i've had with parks dept :

To: [email protected]

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I have been on vacation. The CDC has approved the plans. The next step is to present the plans to City Council and if approved it will be a go. I don't have a date for the meeting they are held ones a month and you have to be on the agenda for the month. April is already full. Hopefully next month I will have a time spot, it is not up to me. If you have a question feel free to call me at 972 -***-***8.

and this a day later

Zack come to find out Bill Allen Disc Golf expansion is going to be held Monday night at city hall at 7:00. I'm sorry I was told last night. Fill free to come out and bring your friends for support it will make a big impression on council.

so looks like the ball is rolling

I live out of town but I plan to be in Texas this summer and I like to get out there to play. Let me know how it goes.

ok went to the city council meeting and the expansion got approved from the city. cost will be around 23k and construction will begin in the winter. i did see the map and i'm very excited to see this whole process take place. a few existing holes with change and even one will even go away, you can pm me if you have any specific questions and i will try to answer those best i can

Has the expansion already been designed then? And who did the designs for it? I haven't played that course yet but just kind of curious...

Do they find someone who knows the sport to come in and design these, just some random person in their parks department do it or do they at the least get some type information on how to design from the pdga?

*update

expansion starts Saturday the 12th, looking for volunteers to come out and help from 9am-12
I'll be with you in spirit. I hope it goes well and I get a chance to play it with you next summer.

I'm not apposed to helping, I helped cut in 8 @ Bethany Lakes & 14 @ Towne Lake. However I do need more information before I decide to commit my time to this project. Can you be specific about what is going on. Who did/is doing the design? What tools will we need to bring? How many people are expected, how many do you need? Is anything changing on the current course? Are the baskets already purchased/ordered/put together? Please pass on any and all info you have.

I'm not apposed to helping, I helped cut in 8 @ Bethany Lakes & 14 @ Towne Lake. However I do need more information before I decide to commit my time to this project. Can you be specific about what is going on. Who did/is doing the design? What tools will we need to bring? How many people are expected, how many do you need? Is anything changing on the current course? Are the baskets already purchased/ordered/put together? Please pass on any and all info you have.

i will try to get these questions answered today, i had sent an email to my contact in the parks dept. on Sunday, so with it being a holiday maybe he will get back to me as far as what is needed and what will be going on. Yes the course has already been designed by a current player who works in the parks dept. He blew his ACL last year and hasnt been able to play but he has been working on and in charge of this whole project. I did see the additional 9 holes at the city council meeting but dont have a soft copy anywhere, this was on of the things i asked for in the email. I unfourtnatley wont be able to help because i will be playing a tounrey this weekend, otherwise i'd be out helping

Yes the course has already been designed by a current player who works in the parks dept. He blew his ACL last year and hasnt been able to play but he has been working on and in charge of this whole project.

Who is the designer? Pineapple?

not sure who designed the origonal layout. I moved to TC 2 years ago and the course was already there. Chase is the guy who works in the parks dept. is the guy that I have talked to in the past. Not sure who Gary is. I sent another email this morning asking about the details of the work that will be done and possibly getting a copy of the added 9

email response:

We will work on Saturday the 12 from 9:00 to 1:00 if we have rain we will work on Oct. 10. You and your friend will have to sign a paper at the REC center on north colony for volunteer work and tell them that you prefer to work at Bill Allen. We are going to do the benches and put some signs in.

Latest posts